Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 5 posts ]
 Post subject: Dual Monitor problem
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 11:59 am 

Hello everybody,

I have a little problem with winstep ultimate.
I use 2 monitor with windows 8.1 x64
Everytime i try to move my mouse to the second monitor (or from the second monitor to the first one)
my pointer get stuck at the end of the monitor and ONLY a fast mouse movement will make the pointer break trough to the other monitor.

Everytime this happen i have to go to the winstep setting and mess up with the stuff in there.

Check/uncheck a bunch of things

-Position
Dock screen to edge
Prevent maximized windows from overlaping the dock

-Behavior
Lock icons and prevent them from being dragged
Prevent dock from being moved by dragging with the mouse pointer

After i mess around with some settings, it gets back to normal and i can move from monitor 1 to 2 without problem

If i close nexus ultimate this problem goes away.

I really can't pin down to what setting is causing this problem and it's seems really random.

If anyone have an idea please let me know.

Post subject: Re: Dual Monitor problem
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 2:27 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

There is no way Nexus is directly causing that, take my word for it. :)

I remember some time ago there were some Windows power toys, and, if I remember correctly, one of them made the mouse pointer decelerate when over a window or something. Perhaps it could be something like that? Check your mouse settings in the Windows control panel.

Also, if you are using an optical mouse, try using compressed can air to clean the lenses.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:01 pm 

Thank you for your answer.

I found out what it is :
Windows sticky corner

The weird part is that the problem comes back again even after the registry fix
and only closing winstep fix it (so i have to close/reopen everytime the problem appear)

If you look at the video in the link above, you can clearly tell if the corners are sticky or not, and, as soon as the sticky corner reappear (after the reg fix) closing winstep instantly fix it.

There is also an interesting post in the comment
Quote:
I have followed this to the “T” using both registry keys. The problem still comes back randomly. Restarting explorer when it does, fixes it for a while… before it comes back again. This is so fricking annoying! Why didn’t they include a setting to turn it off without editing the registry?

I'm not sure if, or, in what way winstep interact with explorer.exe or windows 8.1 but this might be the reason why closing it fix the problem.

I'm not really sure how this all works, but closing and reopening winstep fix it.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 1:08 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

pr1me wrote:
I'm not sure if, or, in what way winstep interact with explorer.exe or windows 8.1 but this might be the reason why closing it fix the problem.

I'm not really sure how this all works, but closing and reopening winstep fix it.

Unfortunately I have no idea why re-starting Winstep 'fixes' (or seems to) the problem, all I know is that Winstep does not meddle with the mouse pointer in any way, so I'm at a loss to explain it, same as you. I guess that question would have to be directed at Microsoft.

Thanks for letting me know about the Windows 8.1 Sticky Corner 'feature'. :)

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 10:29 pm 

I hope this could be helpful. (excuse my English as I speak French). I am using 2 monitor myself (HP Flat Screen 26 inch). I have been using WinStep for the last 2 years with my computer without problem using 2 monitor. I am using window 7 actually (ultimate edition). But Window 8 might not be different as regard your problem. I did had the same problem with my mouse as you described earlier in your post. (exactly the same situation) If I would close WinStep the problem would disappear. But the problem is not WinStep because I could reproduce the problem with some other open application taking the focus of one of my 2 screen. My mouse would get stuck in one of the screen. The solution was simple for me with window 7. I always discourage people to play with registry key as it might worsen the problem or make your system completely unstable. (Unless of course you know exactly how to do it). Anyway what I did was simple to fix the problem of a trapped mouse. In control panel, under change display setting, you should see both of your screen numbered one and two. One of the setting is call: Multiple display. Make sure it is set-up to "Extend these display". VOILA. With this simple setting I never had anymore problem with my mouse. This is really the way window operate best with 2 screen.(any other setting will trap the mouse) and should I add that this problem has nothing to do with WinStep. Hope it work for you. :D

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 5 posts ]