Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 3 posts ]
 Post subject: did i just buy a dead program????
PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:18 am 

I tried winstep, and i like it a lot. I paid the 30$ for not, not realizing I only get updates for a yr. I mean most programs make you buy the new program but keep letting you update the old ones. that's kind of ridiculous. Then I realize that the "newest" release of this program(12.2) was release over 2 yrs ago. So if i am reading this website right that's 2 yrs with out and update, and based on the posting dates in these forums it seems that there's not much going on around here. I hope I didn't just waste my money.

If your going to reply with flaming BS please dont bother I wont read it, but If you have a reasonable answer to what I have said or if I am wrong about the updates and lively hood of this program please let me know.

Thanks

Post subject: Re: did i just buy a dead program????
PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:54 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

branden0502 wrote:
I tried winstep, and i like it a lot. I paid the 30$ for not, not realizing I only get updates for a yr. I mean most programs make you buy the new program but keep letting you update the old ones. that's kind of ridiculous.

Regarding the upgrade policy perhaps reading THE 'Why 'free updates for life' is bad for the customer...' THREAD will help explain things better. :)

branden0502 wrote:
Then I realize that the "newest" release of this program(12.2) was release over 2 yrs ago. So if i am reading this website right that's 2 yrs with out and update, and based on the posting dates in these forums it seems that there's not much going on around here. I hope I didn't just waste my money.

Why would you say you wasted your money? The 12.2 version includes the cumulative result of over 13 years of upgrades and constant development, which you are benefiting from for only $34.95. If you purchased Xtreme, it surely is because the application, in it's current state, is well worth the money you paid for it. Otherwise you wouldn't have brought it, right? So no, your money was not wasted, you got what you paid for.

branden0502 wrote:
If your going to reply with flaming BS please dont bother I wont read it, but If you have a reasonable answer to what I have said or if I am wrong about the updates and lively hood of this program please let me know.

Check the history files in the Winstep folder and you will see how much development effort was put into Winstep applications over the years, especially in the years prior to 2012. This is personal information, but since you asked so vehemently: after long periods of effort sometimes people burn out and they need some time off before they are able to bounce back into full swing again. That is exactly what happened, no BS.

Anyway, there will be a new release very soon now, mostly a bug fix, but still a sign of life.

Profile WWW 

Post subject: Re: did i just buy a dead program????
PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:30 am 

while i realize my first post seemed harsh and attacking i did not mean it that way. not to put down your work, because winstep is amazing as it currently stands,but what i meant was simply that with how fast computers and os change not updating a program in 2 yrs is a long time and they can quickly become irrelevant and problematic. i obviously dont expect constant updates, it was just an observation.

again, not to put down your hard work, but if you but 10 or 20 yrs into anything, and its no longer relevant, then it could be considered a waste of money. for example im sure alot of hard work and research went into making windows 98, but you wouldnt buy that now because its no longer supported and relevant. which was my point.

im glad i was wrong and this is still a supported program, and will gladly buy it again when my yr is up.

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 3 posts ]