Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 3 posts ]
 Post subject: Can't open 2 programs with same name
PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 3:09 pm 

I have 2 applications with the same name in different folders. I added an icon for each. With "Do not launch multiple instances" enabled I can't launch both programs. This is a bug.

While we are on the subject I don't like that there is only a global option for multiple instances. Ideally it should be a per-icon option allowing you to choose which icons allow multiple instances and which do not. Surely all programs are different. Some programs you might desire or want to open multiple instances while with others you might not. At the very least it would be nice to have a right click menu option to start another instance of the program overriding the "Do not launch multiple instances" option.

Keep up the good work.

Post subject: Re: Can't open 2 programs with same name
PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 9:37 pm 

If a feature actually does what it should do, this can hardly be called a bug.

But I do think it could be brought more in alignment with Windows.
In Windows 7 left clicking on an icon in the Tasklist of the Task bar will minimize/restore the application.
If however you press the shift key and then left click the icon it opens a new instance of the application.
Same occurs if you middle click the icon.
I would also like Winstep to have these options.

Post subject: Re: Can't open 2 programs with same name
PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 4:51 am 

Well it's a bug because the 2 icons point to 2 different programs in 2 different folders but they are treated as the same. What I'm saying is that Winstep should consider only links to the same program in the same folder as similar.

I think all of Winstep issues are related to them deciding for separate launch and active application icons. If they merged them like Windows taskbar then it would work much better. The launch icon should become an active application icon when the program is run. If you want to run another instance of the program then you use some shortcut such as Shift-click or middle click like windows. So there wouldn't be a need for the "Do not launch multiple instances". And of course this has the considerable benefit of reducing screen real estate which is a main reason some people switch from the taskbar.

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 3 posts ]