Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 858 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 ... 58  Next
 Post subject: Re: Winstep Wish List
PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 8:41 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Giuseppe Chillemi wrote:
Instead of having to choose from a program file the icon you whish to add to a dock entry you could select it from the internal pool.
The internal pool should be populated inporting from one or more file.
Organizing icons by themes should be a nice feature to have too.

Hmmm, I'm not sure if I understood correctly what you mean, but if I did, are you aware that you can quickly customize a dock's icon simply by dropping an .ICO, .PNG or .TIF file directly on top of a dock's item?

This allows you to have one or more Explorer folder(s) open with your favorite icons and then simply drag & drop the chosen icons from Explorer into the dock.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 1:49 am 

I can sympathise with the request.
Themes can be dark, light, have a main colour etc. and some icons do not look well against certain backgrounds. For instance a black dog may look well against a light back ground, but it may almost be invisible against a dark (e.g. black) background. Also when you have a theme with a main colour you may want to use icons with a corresponding color or when you use a steampunk theme you may want to use steampunk icons. Shortly, you may want to use a matching set of icons with different themes.
Changing all dock icons when you change themes, although easy for one icon, becomes a bit tedious and annoying if you have many icons to change or when you are changing themes frequently.
It would be much easier if you could assign icons to a particular dock item once, for each type of theme. This would make changing themes and corresponding icon set much easier.
This is probably not that easy to implement since for each dock entry it should be possible to select various icons (or icon paths), one for each type of theme (user defined?). If none is defined, use the default icon. In addition, somewhere it should be possible to define for each theme the corresponding (icon) type of theme.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 2:18 am 

On the subject of wish list, is it possible to have the auto-hidden dock to appear by both bump and swipe? That will be helpful for touch enabled/ convertible laptops. Would be great if I can use my mouse to bump the edge and sometimes use my finger to swipe the edge (ie swipe up for bottom dock, and swipe down for upper dock).

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 7:04 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

cheez wrote:
On the subject of wish list, is it possible to have the auto-hidden dock to appear by both bump and swipe? That will be helpful for touch enabled/ convertible laptops. Would be great if I can use my mouse to bump the edge and sometimes use my finger to swipe the edge (ie swipe up for bottom dock, and swipe down for upper dock).

You can already. In the Behavior tab of that dock's properties panel make sure 'Activate with screen edge swipe instead of edge bump' is DISABLED, then click on the 'More Options' button and in the Activation section set 'Swipe <x> Screen Edge' as the hard-coded activation method.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 1:35 pm 

Great! I didn't know both can be activated. However, the swipe is meant to be activated by a mouse and not by touch. E.g when the dock is at the bottom, swipe works only when swiping the edge from left-right or right-left. When in touch mode, it's more natural to swipe up from the bottom edge with the finger instead of side to side.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 12:11 pm 

Thanks a lot for implementing my swipe suggestion. It works even better than I thought.
Awesome!
This is one of the few softwares that's worth subscribing for imo.

I have yet another wish.
Can you add the option to customize the icon size and effects for sub-docks?
I've decided to add a sub-dock that shows all system tray elements.
When using the regular "show system tray icons in dock"-function,
you have the visible tray icons 2 times - in the Task Bar plus in Nexus.
I rather use the Task Bar for accessing the visible ones and have a sub-dock for all the other ones.
I don't need to tell you that the tray icons look terrible in 48 x 48 pixels or bigger. The customization of the icons also doesn't work very well, since they are pretty unpredictable.
So I'd just like to set the icon size to 16 X 16 pixels only for this sub-dock.
I can also imagine situations where you would like to use bigger icons in a specific sub-dock.
You would be able to match the icons size with the detail level of the icons in the sub-dock.
Hope you find this useful enough to implement it.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 6:16 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

cheez wrote:
However, the swipe is meant to be activated by a mouse and not by touch. E.g when the dock is at the bottom, swipe works only when swiping the edge from left-right or right-left. When in touch mode, it's more natural to swipe up from the bottom edge with the finger instead of side to side.

So true. Perhaps adding a 'touch mode' to the Swipe settings might solve this problem, but at the moment I don't have any Windows touch device here to test this.

Also, swipe with touch in the mouse world is equivalent to a 'left click and drag', if I am not mistaken?

toniostarcevic wrote:
So I'd just like to set the icon size to 16 X 16 pixels only for this sub-dock.

Sub-docks inherit their settings from the parent docks. Allowing sub-docks to be configured individually would be opening a can of worms.

Have you thought already about alternatively creating an individual dock dedicated to tray icons only which is usually hidden but can be activated by a edge/corner bump - or a hot-key - with toggle mode enabled?

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 6:40 pm 

winstep wrote:
Sub-docks inherit their settings from the parent docks. Allowing sub-docks to be configured individually would be opening a can of worms.

Have you thought already about alternatively creating an individual dock dedicated to tray icons only which is usually hidden but can be activated by a edge/corner bump - or a hot-key - with toggle mode enabled?

Alright, i see.
Yes, i had it as a seperate dock for a while, but i like the sub-dock idea more.
Then i'll just try to customize the icons as good as i can.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 4:49 pm 

Edited: (clumsily drafted...)

Can you please add some more customizing options to the system tray area?
I find the tray icon customization one of the greatest features of Nexus.
It's sad to not be able to select which tray icons are shown in the dock.

I don't know if this is a OS limitation, but if Nexus can display all tray icons, I'm assuming it can also remove some of them from sight.

I think the seperation "show system tray" and "always show all icons"
makes things too complicated and limited.
Only one option, just "show system tray", where you select the icons that should be shown, would be a better solution imo.

It would also be good if they were draggable, like other dock icons. (just inside the tray area)
Windows occasionally changes the order of the tray icons, which is quite irritating when using them regularily.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 3:30 pm 

winstep wrote:
robinsiebler wrote:
Jumplist support, anyone?

What exactly do you consider to be the most useful feature of the Jumplist? Access to recently opened documents?

To be quite frank, the missing jumplist support is why I didn't renew my old license after switching to Windows 8. Windows 8 dropped the start menu, and with it, the most frequent programs list, along with the most recent documents list.

On Windows 8 I habitually use the jumplist not only to access the most recent documents (for which there is a menu in most programs), but pinned documents (which are jumplist specific). These can be file paths in explorer, a template or project glossary for my work in office, playlist files in my music player and so on and so forth.

I consider Winstep Nexus the most feature rich dock application there is, but ever since I've been forced to utilize jumplists to make my workflow smoother, I just can't use it, and I've been waiting for this feature for years.

Since Windows 10 is botched because of UX design choices beyond help, I intend to use Windows 8 a lot longer than expected, which eventually made me register an account here, and voice my opinion about a missing but important feature.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 5:43 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

toniostarcevic wrote:
It's sad to not be able to select which tray icons are shown in the dock.

But you can, and that is why it makes no sense to add that feature to the dock itself, it would just be a repetition of what is already there. Just use Windows to do it (Windows Taskbar Properties -> Taskbar -> Notification Area -> Customize).

Asagrim wrote:
To be quite frank, the missing jumplist support is why I didn't renew my old license after switching to Windows 8. Windows 8 dropped the start menu, and with it, the most frequent programs list, along with the most recent documents list.

The latest version of Winstep Xtreme supports *both* the Frequent Programs list as well as the Recent Documents list. You can access both as a tab in the Shelf or a menu in NextSTART.

Asagrim wrote:
On Windows 8 I habitually use the jumplist not only to access the most recent documents (for which there is a menu in most programs), but pinned documents (which are jumplist specific). These can be file paths in explorer, a template or project glossary for my work in office, playlist files in my music player and so on and so forth.

Finally someone answers my question regarding why Jump Lists are so useful to them!

Asagrim wrote:
I consider Winstep Nexus the most feature rich dock application there is, but ever since I've been forced to utilize jumplists to make my workflow smoother, I just can't use it, and I've been waiting for this feature for years.

Microsoft did not make it easy for external applications to use Jumplists. I've already looked into this several times before, and it's not something that will be easy to implement. That is why I was waiting for someone to claim this as a 'must have' feature. You're the first one so far, I couldn't even get an answer as to what made Jumplists useful to users.

Asagrim wrote:
Since Windows 10 is botched because of UX design choices beyond help, I intend to use Windows 8 a lot longer than expected, which eventually made me register an account here, and voice my opinion about a missing but important feature.

Good. Since you didn't renew your old license, you are probably unaware how I have been lately making an effort to implement some missing key features (for instance, the language bar was one of them, as was high DPI support).

I'll look into adding Jumplist support for the next release.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 10:49 pm 

Thank you for your quick (and apt) response!

winstep wrote:

Finally someone answers my question regarding why Jump Lists are so useful to them!

In retrospect, my post might have sounded a little passive-aggressive, my apologies for that, but I didn't want to beat around the bush and just went ahead trying to explain how important jumplists are to me and why, since that was the question I found while I was searching the forums for the jumplist keyword (and was surprised how little the feature was discussed over the years).

winstep wrote:

Microsoft did not make it easy for external applications to use Jumplists. I've already looked into this several times before, and it's not something that will be easy to implement. That is why I was waiting for someone to claim this as a 'must have' feature. You're the first one so far, I couldn't even get an answer as to what made Jumplists useful to users.

I can imagine that at least some people were just lurking the forums searching for the same thing, without actually making the effort to respond to the issue, I admit I have been doing the exact same thing until today, because I thought one additional vote for it wouldn't do much, considering how seemingly little the interest was in it.

winstep wrote:

I'll look into adding Jumplist support for the next release.

I appreciate the effort! Thank you! If I can finally move to Nexus from explorer for good, I will be sure to give all the support I can, I'd even incorporate nexus in my Rainmeter designs to entice people to at least give it a try!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 10:46 am 

Request: Provide discreet multi-monitor support for the Reserve Screen Space functionality.

In effect, I would like NextStart to sense number of monitors, accurately identify them, and allow separate Reserve Screen Space functionality for each monitor independently.

Easy, right?! :D

Chuck

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 10:48 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Chuck wrote:
Request: Provide discreet multi-monitor support for the Reserve Screen Space functionality.

In effect, I would like NextStart to sense number of monitors, accurately identify them, and allow separate Reserve Screen Space functionality for each monitor independently.

Actually, it is lol. The major problem is lack of UI space to implement that. But I'll figure something out for next version.

Any thoughts regarding the new beta, btw?

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 11:45 am 

winstep wrote:
Chuck wrote:

Actually, it is lol. The major problem is lack of UI space to implement that. But I'll figure something out for next version.

Any thoughts regarding the new beta, btw?

Looking forward to the multi-monitor update! Two options to consider:

1. Use existing screen for main monitor, with buttons for 2nd/3rd/4th monitors that open popup with settings (monitor number on popup)
2. Dropdown list that changes current screen controls to applicable monitor, with monitor number on monitor thumbnail at right of screen.

As for the new beta...

1. Like the Preferences reorganization.
2. The effects are a refreshing addition for those interested.
3. LOVE the alarms addition to the clock module.
4. LOVE the new effects panel (seeing them side by side makes it far easier to choose)

Haven't tested it all, but haven't found any issues with what I've seen so far.

Chuck

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 858 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 ... 58  Next