Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 4 posts ]
 Post subject: csgo and H1Z1
PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 1:03 am 

Hey guys

I love this dock and have been using it for ages, I have two questions.

1) I drag csgo and h1z1 icon to the dock, and it works (they are both steam games) but when i delete the original icons from desktop, the ones on dock dont work, can i fix this? or is there anyway to have the icons only on the dock and not the desktop too?

2) when i double click the nexus icon, the whole thing disappears...how do I get it back?

Thank you and I love this software, I'll probably upgrade just to show support

Post subject: Re: csgo and H1Z1
PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 2:11 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

deezus wrote:
1) I drag csgo and h1z1 icon to the dock, and it works (they are both steam games) but when i delete the original icons from desktop, the ones on dock dont work, can i fix this? or is there anyway to have the icons only on the dock and not the desktop too?

Steam icons are special URL shortcuts. As such, they cannot be resolved by the dock, which is thus forced to point to the shortcut instead of the target application itself.

If you delete the shortcut, the dock item is now pointing to something that no longer exists.

Nexus Ultimate can come to the rescue here: it has something called 'the Shelf' which is a special tabbed dock. Besides acting as a tabbed dock, the Shelf can display the contents of folders in your hard drive and even the contents of virtual folders such as the Windows Control Panel, etc... It can thus display the contents of the Windows Desktop in a Shelf tab.

If you then tell Nexus Ultimate to hide Desktop icons, you get the advantage of a totally 'clean' Windows Desktop while still being able to quickly access all your desktop shortcuts via the Desktop tab in the Shelf.

deezus wrote:
2) when i double click the nexus icon, the whole thing disappears...how do I get it back?

Ooomph. How are your reading abilities these days? :wink: :P

If you mouse over the dock control icon, what does the balloon tooltip say? Ok, I'll save you the trouble: one of the things it says is 'Double clicking the control tile hides the dock'

So the dock does not simply 'disappear'. It hides, as if you had the auto-hide feature enabled. And where does it hide to? Assuming it's docked to a screen edge, it does what the Windows taskbar also does if you enable auto-hide for it: it hides *into* the screen edge.

How do you get it back? The same way you would a auto-hiding Windows taskbar: by bumping that screen edge with your mouse pointer.

Assuming you have not messed up with the edge bump timings and settings in the dock's Behavior tab, it should be that simple.

deezus wrote:
I love this dock and have been using it for ages ... Thank you and I love this software, I'll probably upgrade just to show support

About time, no? :wink: :D

You're going to love the next release, by the way, which is just a few days around the corner. :)

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 11:01 am 

Ooooo thats interesting and definitely appealing. One more reason to upgrade lol!
And I knew it makes it hide when you double click! I just couldn't get it back for some reason, I moved my mouse everywhere it was just not coming up lol, I had to uninstall whilst keeping the settings and reinstall it...I think I'll just disable it, useless for me anyway.

Also thank you for the reply I appreciate it :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 2:04 am 

With Steam games you can do one of two things:

1. After creating a shortcut to the desktop for a game, create a folder in your documents folder called Games or something and put the shortcut there along with any others. --- THEN drag each into your dock that you want to have. Desktop is clean and your shortcuts are active.

2. You can navigate to the actual steam games folder in Program Files (x86) under Steam Apps > Common and copy the actually executable application file and then paste as shortcut to your games folder and that will launch it directly rather than using Steams URL method.

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 4 posts ]