Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 11 posts ]
 Post subject: Frequent Error Message On 2 Machines
PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:35 pm 

2 of my computers, Both Win 10 64bit. Latest WinStep extreme installed. NextStart randomly throws this error, its inconsistent but happens daily yet on both computers. And I do believe it may be related to CD Rom drives and Virtual ISO mounts.

Here is the error log via Windows event viewer.

Code:
The program Nextstart.exe version 16.3.0.762 stopped interacting with Windows and was closed. To see if more information about the problem is available, check the problem history in the Security and Maintenance control panel.
Process ID: 1ffc
Start Time: 01d19846f8431423
Termination Time: 3
Application Path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Winstep\Nextstart.exe
Report Id: 6688360e-0810-11e6-9c25-74d02b348ed3
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

and from the Details tab:

Code:
- System

- Provider

[ Name]  Application Hang

- EventID 1002

[ Qualifiers]  0

Level 2

Task 101

Keywords 0x80000000000000

- TimeCreated

[ SystemTime]  2016-04-21T22:28:54.837078900Z

EventRecordID 21020

Channel Application

Computer ULTRA

Security

- EventData

Nextstart.exe
   1ffc
   01d19846f8431423
   C:\Program Files (x86)\Winstep\Nextstart.exe
   6688360e-0810-11e6-9c25-74d02b348ed3

55006E006B006E006F0077006E0000000000

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Binary data:

In Words

0000: 006E0055 006E006B 0077006F 0000006E
0010: 0000   

In Bytes

0000: 55 00 6E 00 6B 00 6E 00   U.n.k.n.
0008: 6F 00 77 00 6E 00 00 00   o.w.n...
0010: 00 00                     ..

Post subject: Re: Frequent Error Message On 2 Machines
PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 1:19 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unfortunately Windows error logs tell me absolutely nothing.

Before we go chasing after unicorns, here are a few questions:

1. What makes you think it might be related to mounted ISO images?

2. What else is common to these machines besides ISO images and NextSTART?

3. Please describe the error in as much detail as you can. Does it happen only when the computer is unattended? Does it happen when you are doing something? Is it a crash? Is it a freeze? Etc...

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 12:59 am 

Ok, I think i've found what program is causing NextStart to crash. It's when I use an RDP software call SplashTop. I service a few customers and have a 10 license business account. When I remote to these computers and a icon/process is created on the NextStart task bar, NextStart hangs and quits with a Microsoft error. I am running the classic Windows Style bar with no task grouping. I can restart it by hitting the Windows Key, then ALL APPS, then WinStep and restart NextStart. Seems to hang anytime I use splashtop. I have both the streamer and admin client on my pc. http://www.splashtop.com

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 5:07 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Ok, you're doing the right thing which is trying to isolate the causes of a particular crash on your system, and that helps a lot. :)

Still, I find it hard to believe that the simple act of displaying a Splashtop task button on the NextSTART taskbar would cause it to crash.

To help figure out the real cause of the trouble, I need you to dig a bit deeper, please.

Does NextSTART crash as soon as you run Splashtop (I doubt it or the cause of the problem would have been immediately evident)?

Does NextSTART crash if you click the Splashtop button on the taskbar? Or when the live window preview pops up? What if you filter out the task (Preferences -> Taskbar -> Tasklist -> Task Exclusion List) or customize the icon (Preferences -> Taskbar -> Tasklist -> Customize Task Icons)?

Does Splashtop put an icon in the systray?

And, IMO more important, does the crash only happen when you have a Remote Desktop Session in progress or does it happen even if you are not connected?

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:01 pm 

Ok, I was able to reproduce it on both computers with the following scenario:

When running splashtop and connected to a remote computer in one window, I can click the splashtop task on the NextStart bar with no issues. But when I copy a large file locally to anywhere locally, then try to click splashtop on NextStart to focus the window, then nextstart freezes and quits throwing the windows error above.

In both cases, I could not reproduce unless I had an open remote session, and copied a file from one folder to another locally. Then I get the error on both machines. It does not matter what file I copy. (windows 10 64bit)

Thanks

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:29 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Well done, good findings. :)

However, just a little more detective work is required, please, because I'm pretty sure that, as always, the devil will be in the little details.

Can you please post a screenshot of your desktop before the error, with Splashtop running, and then another after the error occurs (just immediately after)?

You can either use WorkShelf's Capture Desktop internal command to get a screenshot of your screen, or press PRTSCR on your keyboard, which will put the image on the Windows clipboard (but you then must paste it into a Paint program and save it).

Also, when you mean copying a file locally, you mean in your PC, not on the remote desktop, right (just to make sure lol)?

If the file is really small, does the crash still happen? I'm asking this question because small files will not (should not?) display a progress window (which would then appear on the taskbar and could possibly be the culprit).

Also just to make sure: the error only happens when you click on the splashtop button to bring the splashtop window to the foreground after copying the file, right? If so, does it matter if the window is minimized? What if you click on another task button instead of splashtop? And if nothing happens in that case, what if you click on the splashtop button *after* clicking on another task button?

See where I am getting here? ;-) Sometimes finding the true cause of a bug is not easy.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:43 pm 

I'll do better than that and do a screen video to show you the results. Been busy so it may take me a day or two to get it done.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 11:48 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

A video is great, thanks, but please try to do it ASAP. I'm sitting on a new release (v16.4) because of this. :)

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 12:46 pm 

Fixed the issue. I have the same video card, Nvidia 960 on both machines. Since splashtop does heavy video rendering, I took a shot at upgrading the video drivers to the latest version. It appears it has fixed the issue, because now I can't reproduce the issue at all.

So on with the new release, and thank you for the support your providing!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 5:47 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

A video *driver* problem?!

Wow. That really is the last thing I expected. :shock:

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 9:51 pm 

Yep, I thought the same thing. Rendering of the live-view of the taskbar links maybe? Not sure. But since doing that, I can't reproduce the issue.

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 11 posts ]