Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 22 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: v16.5 released. Post any issues here!
PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 10:25 pm 

winstep wrote:
Forceps, I tell you, forceps! :)

Anyway, it is now officially out. Give it a try and see if the new version works correctly with the wallpaper slideshow etc.

Jorge,

Just tried to update through the Check for Updates button on the WorkShelf Preferences screen. It downloaded fine, closed Winstep and started the installer, then stopped with a popup indicating the update must be installed over an existing installation and simply stopped.

I have an existing installation, obviously, along with an active license key. This occurred on Win10 (64 bit) system, updating from Winstep Xtreme 16.3.

I resorted to downloading the full program and installing over the existing without any issues.

Please advise.

Chuck

Post subject: Winstep Xtreme/Nexus Ultimate v16.5 issues
PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 10:18 am 

winstep wrote:
That actually seems more of an installer (InnoSetup) problem than otherwise, and you are not the first one this has happened to.

When Winstep applications are installed on your computer, the installer leaves a distinct signature on the Windows Registry, WinstepXtreme_Is1

When installing an update, the script in the installer looks for this signature, and, if it isn't there, it assumes Winstep software is not currently installed on that system.

Problem is that, apparently, sometimes the signature is WinstepXtreme_Is2 instead of WinstepXtreme_Is1, and then you get that error because the update installer is specifically looking for WinstepXtreme_Is1.

No idea yet why InnoSetup *sometimes* uses WinstepXtreme_Is2 instead of WinstepXtreme_Is1 as it should.

Actually, have a look in your Windows Registry for that key and see what you come up with (perhaps the situation has been corrected now that you installed the full setup):

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Winstep Xtreme_is1

or

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Winstep Xtreme_is1

Neither key was in the areas mentioned. I found the key in the following location:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\WOW6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Winstep Xtreme_is1

Chuck

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 12:34 am 

Hey Jorge,

I am also going to post this over at WinCustomize. Not really sure where the problem is.

Just upgraded to the newest WinExtreme updates.

I use a Stardock program called Fences, I'm sure you know what that is. One thing that it does is hide icons with a double click to the desktop and then another double click to reveal them. The double click is a user chosen option and my enabled option is double click on desktop only.

My trigger to reveal the NS menu I made is a middle click on desktop.

Both of these programs are working correctly, with the following exception: When I middle click on the desktop for the NS menu, the desktop icons are also revealed, which seems to mean that my middle click is also triggering a double click event (?)

I've gone through my NS menu hotspot settings and triggers and see nothing to indicate that any event other than a middle click to desktop will reveal the NS menu.

Thank you sir.

David

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 12:42 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

NextSTART only 'listens' to mouse clicks... so if Fences is confusing a middle click with a double click, that would be a Fences problem (it's a new version, also just released, right?)

Could also be your mouse acting up. When mine are about to die, single clicks suddenly start triggering double clicks - that's when I know the micro-switches in the mouse are about to give up the ghost.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 12:48 am 

Yes, there was a recent update to Fences.

Just for fun I set up a hotspot to activate on a double click on the desktop and did a single middle click to desktop. The test hotspot did not activate, so my mouse is behaving itself.

I did post this issue over there, so we shall see what happens. I realize that these apps are just 'listening' for their event triggers, that's what makes this behavior so odd. Odder still is that another middle click on the desktop does not hide my desktop items. It only reveals.

Thanks Jorge.

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 1:34 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I'm a bit slow tonight. I forgot to ask the obvious question: what happens if you middle click the desktop and NextSTART is *not* running?

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 4:49 am 

Jorge, it's still doing it.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 6:15 am 

Jorge, until you manage to figure out how I broke it this time, other than exiting and restarting, is there another way to force it to update colorization?

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 1:20 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

vectornut wrote:
Jorge, it's still doing it.

Well, I don't know what it can be then.

Under Windows 7 you need to monitor the transcodedwallpaper file for changes directly, but under Windows 10 you at least get a WM_SETTINGSCHANGE message when Windows changes to the next wallpaper in the sequence, which means monitoring that file directly is no longer needed.

You're running Windows 10 and I've tested this feature on one Windows 10 VM and on a physical Windows 10 machine. Works fine in both. Also works fine on my Windows 7 machine.

Could other people reading this please test the 'Colorize with windows wallpaper dominant color' feature with the Windows wallpaper slideshow and report back?

vectornut wrote:
Jorge, until you manage to figure out how I broke it this time, other than exiting and restarting, is there another way to force it to update colorization?

Open Preferences then close it with Ok. Should be enough.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 2:47 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I've created a new topic to discuss any v16.5 issues and moved (or tried to lol) a handful of messages from the old beta topic to here.

Profile WWW 

Post subject: Re: Winstep Xtreme/Nexus Ultimate v16.5 issues
PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 6:09 pm 

winstep wrote:
vectornut wrote:

Open Preferences then close it with Ok. Should be enough.

That's what I tried first. It doesn't work. Okay. I'll just have to wait until you figure out what I broke. ;-)

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 6:27 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

vectornut wrote:
That's what I tried first. It doesn't work. Okay. I'll just have to wait until you figure out what I broke. ;-)

No. You need to help me figure out what is not working and why. :)

Lets start with screenshots. As you know, I love screenshots, it allows me to see a lot of things at a glance.

So, please post here a screenshot of your *entire* desktop (so I can also see the wallpaper) with WorkShelf Preferences open in the Themes tab and the colorization options visible (i.e.; you click the little gray down arrow at the bottom right of the themes tab to roll those up into view).

Profile WWW 

Post subject: Re: v16.5 issues
PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 6:57 pm 

Well, Jorge, when I shut down both WS and NS, middle clicking on the desktop still reveals my desktop items. So it has to be Fences. I guess I was slow too. Should have thought of that.

Off to Wincustomize.

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 5:22 am 

winstep wrote:
vectornut wrote:

No. You need to help me figure out what is not working and why. :)

Lets start with screenshots. As you know, I love screenshots, it allows me to see a lot of things at a glance.

So, please post here a screenshot of your *entire* desktop (so I can also see the wallpaper) with WorkShelf Preferences open in the Themes tab and the colorization options visible (i.e.; you click the little gray down arrow at the bottom right of the themes tab to roll those up into view).

Jorge, I have to be at work at 0500 tomorrow, so this will have to wait until tomorrow night. I really need to get my butt in bed right now. But you know I'm happy to help.

Profile WWW 

Post subject: Re: v16.5 issues
PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 2:07 pm 

Jorge, here is a screenshot before exiting and restarting Winstep but after actually TELLING it to Apply:
Attachment:
File comment: Before exit and restart of Winstep
WinstepColorization1.jpg
WinstepColorization1.jpg [ 567.16 KiB | Viewed 27718 times ]

As you can see, Winstep settings knows the color it SHOULD use, but it doesn't actually use it.

Here is a screenshot after exiting and restarting Winstep:
Attachment:
File comment: After exit and restart of Winstep
WinstepColorization2.jpg
WinstepColorization2.jpg [ 548.69 KiB | Viewed 27718 times ]

Now the colors are correct.

On a sidenote, you will also notice in the screenshots that the modules that don't have skins are dark grey in both shots, as I was mentioning before.

Profile WWW 

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 22 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next