Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 84 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
 Post subject: Re: V16.6 public betas released!
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 10:19 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Thanks for the feedback, and yes, it probably has something to do with the title of the UWP app window.

When a UWP app is minimized, Windows detaches the UWP app window from the ApplicationFrameHost window. So suddenly you have two independent windows with nothing connecting them other than a window title.

When the App window is restored, the two become connected again (the UWP app window goes back to being a child window of the ApplicationFrameHost window).

Oh, and in the mean time you can also have a ton of other detached UWP app windows, some with the same title, lying around but doing nothing (not even visible) because they're 'suspended'.

Microsoft did such a wonderful job implementing this! <sarcasm> Sigh. :roll:

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 2:20 am 

winstep wrote:
Microsoft did such a wonderful job implementing this! <sarcasm> Sigh. :roll:

I like Windows 10, but UWP is just stupid. That's why I use as few of them as possible.

Will have to try UI scaling tonight. Maybe I can figure out the stupid apps that don't play well.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 2:36 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

GodSponge wrote:
I like Windows 10, but UWP is just stupid. That's why I use as few of them as possible.

Another MS attempt to copy Apple, which gets a 30% cut of every application sold through the Apple store. Only problem being, unlike iOS, Windows is an open architecture and something like that was therefore not feasible.

Their solution?

Create their own walled garden, something they could control 100%, make it run under Windows even though it is completely alien to it, and call it 'Windows RT' so people would be deceived by the name (well, at least that part flopped mightily). Like a bad horror movie, the idea was for that alien DNA to slowly absorb its host, until there was nothing left of the latter.

That is why you see so many parts of the Windows 10 being replaced with UWP equivalents, even though they are inferior to the original in basically everything!

MS wants to kill Win32 and replace it with an abomination that allows them to control who gets access to the Windows application market *and* get a 30% cut on every Windows application ever sold from then on, without having done anything to deserve it other than creating the OS they run under.

GodSponge wrote:
Will have to try UI scaling tonight. Maybe I can figure out the stupid apps that don't play well.

Good luck! Don't forget to log-out and log-in again after changing DPI scaling or you'll have a mess. :)

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 7:15 am 

I have my computer set to 125% (the most likely to make problems for me) and I've got no problems. Text looks great.

Glad I finally had a reason to try scaling again. It was really hard to see the text on my screen from a distance.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 11:21 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Dino7405 wrote:
if I navigate to a website page with a long window title and then minimize Edge, the indicator doesn't show.

Dino, can you confirm this only happens if the page title has a "-" character in the text?

For instance, "CNN - Breaking News, blah, blah - Microsoft Edge"

I was looking for the "-" character in the title to isolate the actual application name (for instance, Microsoft Edge in the above example) but completely forgot that many web page titles also include that character.

If this is indeed the problem, I already fixed it.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 3:55 am 

Jorge, you are a genius! YES - that appears to be the issue. Any website with "-" in the Edge app window title seems to be the culprit. Websites without "-" behave correctly with the Edge app showing the running indicator when minimized. I assume your fix will also correct the Mail app when minimized?? In the Mail app, "-" is used in the window titles; for instance, my Mail app window title is "Inbox - Gmail - Mail" (NOTE: and that is also how it appears on the Windows Taskbar thumbnail BUT on Nexus Dock thumbnail it is actually shown as "Inbox - Gmail ?-Mail" Just wanted to make you aware of that. Not sure if the appearance of that "?" is a bug. I hope this helps!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 4:08 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Dino7405 wrote:
Not sure if the appearance of that "?" is a bug. I hope this helps!

It's not a bug, it's part of the actual window title as returned by GetWindowText() and I had noticed that too. Another Microsoft abnormality.

My guess is that Microsoft is using it (or some other strange character code that results in ? when converted to ANSI) as some kind of separator between actual window title and app name, but then filters it out when displaying the App's window title in the taskbar.

Guess I should filter it out as well.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 3:00 pm 

winstep wrote:
Guess I should filter it out as well.

Or replace it with, "You're seeing this because Microsoft is a stupid pile of poop." :mrgreen:

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 9:57 pm 

vectornut wrote:
Or replace it with, "You're seeing this because Microsoft is a stupid pile of poop." :mrgreen:

I need a thumbs up button or something. :)

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 84 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6