Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 10 posts ]
 Post subject: Talking Clock question
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:19 pm 

Hey all,
is there a way to adjust the volume for the talking clock? or shut it up completely? I turned off the narrator in Windows 10 already but the clock doesn't seem to take the hint.
Every hour I get the announcement blasted into my ears at full volume which upsets the neighbors :D

Thanks

Post subject: Re: Talking Clock question
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:38 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Right click on the clock and read the context menu that pops up. One of the options will be 'Disable Time Announcement'.

You can also control the settings of modules/widgets by opening Preferences, navigating to the Modules tab, selecting the module/widget and then clicking the Settings button.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:57 pm 

Oh man, I could have found that out by myself :lol:
Thanks, matey you helped me alot. And the neighbors too :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:00 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

playerdark wrote:
Oh man, I could have found that out by myself :lol:
Thanks, matey you helped me alot. And the neighbors too :wink:

LOL My pleasure. :)

Also, remember Windows allows you to set the volume on a per-application basis.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:12 pm 

I'm glad this came up. I was about to tell you there was no way to lower the volume for the clock announcement, but my intuition about the awesomeness of Jorge (developer of Winstep) made me check before I leapt since I've only had the latest version for less than two weeks.

I have Winstep Xtreme, so I'm not sure if the following feature is available in all other products.

Go to your speaker icon on the system tray and right-click. Then left-click on Open Volume Mixer.

Then, activate Say The Time. You can access Say The Time easily by right-clicking the clock if it's on your desktop. It should then show up in the Volume Mixer if it wasn't there already as Winstep Media Player. Found that out by accident.

Now you can lower or raise the volume for the Clock Announcement by adjusting the Winstep Media Player slider.

You can do the same thing for the WorkShelf if you have that for the product you're using by activating (bumping) the screen edge wherever WorkShelf is.

EDIT: Oh heck!! I took a short break probably 10 minutes or so and when I finally posted you guys posted all that stuff! :shock: I guess I found another way to do it! :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:05 pm 

Thanks thats a nice trick. Should be in NextStep, there are a gazillion opetions already, one more wouldn't harm :D
Although I have problemw with the Windows volume mixer, I set all sorts of relative volume levels and when I restart Windows it's all back at full. Or maybe some. I have like 10 different sliders for firefox in there to lower the volume of videos on newssites, but they all restart at full volume.
Oh well I guess that's a Windows problem

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:12 am 

playerdark wrote:
Thanks thats a nice trick. Should be in NextStep, there are a gazillion opetions already, one more wouldn't harm :D

I agree! :D

winstep wrote:
Right click on the clock and read the context menu that pops up. One of the options will be 'Disable Time Announcement'.

You can also control the settings of modules/widgets by opening Preferences, navigating to the Modules tab, selecting the module/widget and then clicking the Settings button.

Did I miss something? I don't see where I can control the volume of the clock announcement. I looked everywhere before seeing that post and couldn't find a way, that's why I checked in the Volume Mixer to do it. However, I still don't see a way using the method you've outlined. :?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:55 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Windy wrote:
I agree! :D

I don't. How many more layers of volume settings would we need?

Windows already provides global and per-application volume settings. Enough is enough. :)

Windy wrote:
Did I miss something?

Yep. :)

I was referring to turning off the voice notification.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 4:18 pm 

Jorge, should the following that I posted some days ago be considered the ideal way to control the volume level of the talking clock announcement and WorkShelf?

Windy wrote:
Go to your speaker icon on the system tray and right-click. Then left-click on Open Volume Mixer.

Then, activate Say The Time. You can access Say The Time easily by right-clicking the clock if it's on your desktop. It should then show up in the Volume Mixer if it wasn't there already as Winstep Media Player. Found that out by accident.

Now you can lower or raise the volume for the Clock Announcement by adjusting the Winstep Media Player slider.

You can do the same thing for the WorkShelf if you have that for the product you're using by activating (bumping) the screen edge wherever WorkShelf is.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 2:59 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Windy wrote:
Jorge, should the following that I posted some days ago be considered the ideal way to control the volume level of the talking clock announcement and WorkShelf?

Yes, but it must be done right after a voice announcement, otherwise the 'Winstep Media Player' proxy applet might not appear in the Windows mixer.

As discussed in the v17.1 release, the 'Winstep Media Player' (WsMMPlay.exe) is used by the Winstep application as a 'proxy' for playing MP3 files. This is because some buggy MP3 codecs and filters could corrupt memory in the process they were running under, thus causing the host application (in this case the main Winstep application) to randomly crash or exhibit some strange issues.

To prevent the main application from being affected, MP3 files are now always played through a separate Winstep executable (WsMMPlay.exe, or Winstep Media Player).

Profile WWW 

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 10 posts ]