Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 6 posts ]
 Post subject: Help with Windows 10 virtual desktop
PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 3:17 pm 

Hey everyone!

I'm a current user of the virtual desktop feature on Windows 10, and I'd love to use the nexus ultimate feature that shows the current running applications on the dock, but I want only the application on that virtual desktop to show.

Currently, all application, from desktop 1 to 4 is showing on the dock, is there any way that I can set the dock to show only applications on that desktop that I'm at?

Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Help with Windows 10 virtual desktop
PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 11:53 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

guisimoncello wrote:
Hey everyone!

I'm a current user of the virtual desktop feature on Windows 10, and I'd love to use the nexus ultimate feature that shows the current running applications on the dock, but I want only the application on that virtual desktop to show.

Currently, all application, from desktop 1 to 4 is showing on the dock, is there any way that I can set the dock to show only applications on that desktop that I'm at?

Thanks!

Short answer - can't be done. At least, not in the foreseeable future and even then, I doubt it is technically even possible.

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 2:53 pm 

Shame, but I understand. Thanks anyway.

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 6:27 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

guisimoncello wrote:
Shame, but I understand. Thanks anyway.

Would be neat really, but the problem is that virtual desktop, in their nature, are not real, they are not separate windows and have no ID that could be referenced in programming. They are basically the one same desktop but the virtual desktop software, when you change, simply hides the windows open on the first and then unhides the windows on the next virtual desktop.

I can remember BeOS had some pretty neat tricks with its VDs - you could actually set different screen resolutions for different VDs. Quite useful in those days.

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 6:28 am 

I use a third party virtual desktop app called Dexpot. Using that app, my NS taskbar generally only shows tasks running on whichever desktop I'm on for the taskbar on that desktop. I really haven't played around with Nexus much so I can't tell you if it works the same woy for Nexus.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 6:15 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

vectornut wrote:
I use a third party virtual desktop app called Dexpot. Using that app, my NS taskbar generally only shows tasks running on whichever desktop I'm on for the taskbar on that desktop. I really haven't played around with Nexus much so I can't tell you if it works the same woy for Nexus.

Ah, Taskbar and dock are two different animals really. And Dexpot is a very different beast to the Windows VDs. (Tried it myself but gave up on it as always made a mess of my desktop icons (for when I'm not running xtreme) and wasn't all that stable either.

On the whole, I'm happiest with the way things are under Ubuntu Linux - my main OS - with its dock showing apps only and all running apps, all on every desktop. To my way of working, it would be a PITA to have to switch desktops to see what else is running or to work on an app on another VD. Under Ubuntu, I click on an app running on another VD and it automatically switches to that VD and app. (I also have an extension for the Deskbar that shows what apps are running on each VD and that lets me switch to another VD.) Out of all available Desktop Environments for Linux, I find Ubuntu's Gnome 3 based approximation of Ubuntu's original Unity Desktop Environment the easiest, most convenient to work with. Not the prettiest, but the most ergonomic with its dock and Deskbar + the latter's extensions. (Vanilla Gnome 3 is a real PITA though.)

Personally, I think we need something completely new and innovative, getting as far away from old ideas and metaphors, even paradigms, as possible, and preferably have the same thing on all platforms.

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 6 posts ]