Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 3 posts ]
 Post subject: How to delete a misbehaving dead link on dock?
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 5:23 am 

Hi all,

I have a link in my WinXtreme dock to a no-longer existing network drive address.
I've tried everything I can think of to delete it it, but any attempt to LMB or RMB or anything other than passively mousing over it causes the whole dock to lock up and crash.

Is there a central "dock DB" file somewhere perhaps I can edit to get rid of this dead link?

Thanks in advance,

THUMPER

Post subject: Re: How to delete a misbehaving dead link on dock?
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 2:34 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

The lockups are one of the reasons while I advise people NEVER to put shortcuts in the dock to items in non-local drives. Network access can be extremely slow and that can cause the Winstep application to 'block' for a period of time until an operation either completes or times-out.

So, when you left click on it, the dock will lockup, I understood that. But what happens if you wait 30 seconds or longer? Does the dock become responsive again after some time (that is what should happen) or does it crash (that should not happen) ?

Also, since right clicking seems to be causing a problem too, something for you to try: open that dock's Properties panel, go to the Behavior tab and set 'Show full right click context menu options' from 'Always' to 'Never'.

Press Ok to apply the settings and close the Dock Properties panel, and try right clicking that item again. The context menu should now pop up without the options specific to that item, enabling you to select the 'Remove from Dock' option.

Please let me know what happens and don't forget to set the 'Show full right click context menu options' back to 'Always' after this.

Also, before you try the above, does simply trying to drag the dead link cause the dock to freeze or crash? If not, you could simply drag it into a Recycle Bin module on the dock, which would/should also remove the item.

Anyway, let me know how it turned out please.

Profile WWW 

Post subject: Re: How to delete a misbehaving dead link on dock?
PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2022 8:50 am 

Turns out I wasn't waiting long enough, eventually the menu does appear! Thanks for the tip :)

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 3 posts ]