Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 5 posts ]
 Post subject: Progressive web apps
PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 5:27 pm 

Progressive web apps

Hello, I tend to prefer using PWA or websites in my browser over the native apps, it gives me more piece of mind that I am not installing multiple outdated versions of chromium with Spotify, Netflix, Discord client and many more.

There is this issue with my installation of winstep's nexus dock on Win11 pc with Show running application setting. When I open my Discord or Gmail website configured to open in new window of my web browser it shows proper icon on windows taskbar but not in running section in the right segment of nexus dock.

Is there any fix for this?

What can I provide for troubleshooting this?

Post subject: Re: Progressive web apps
PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 7:25 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unfortunately - and at least for the time being - there is nothing that can be done.

Chrome is communicating directly with the Windows taskbar API and is not following the old rules anymore. To make matters worse it does not set a window class or an identifier specific to progressive web apps, which makes it pretty much impossible for Nexus to distinguish between regular browser windows and progressive web app windows.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2022 2:16 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

winstep wrote:
Unfortunately - and at least for the time being - there is nothing that can be done.

Chrome is communicating directly with the Windows taskbar API and is not following the old rules anymore. To make matters worse it does not set a window class or an identifier specific to progressive web apps, which makes it pretty much impossible for Nexus to distinguish between regular browser windows and progressive web app windows.

Unfortunately? Heck, I'm sorely tempted to say, fortunately! :P I mean, why - oh - why are some people so hell bent on feeding Google their personal, private data by using crap like Chrome and thus enriching their coffers? The mind boggles! Privacy is a human right, and yet people freely give it up!? Arghhhh! I'm tempted to paraphrase a certain A. Einstein - "Even Genius has its limitations but stupidity knows no such bounds." :(

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2022 2:59 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

We are all like the proverbial frog being slowly boiled alive.

I still remember when users would throw a hissy fit and demand to know what was going on just because the Winstep application used the Internet to retrieve weather info or adjust the clock based on the atomic time servers.

Nowadays people voluntarily give big corporations (FB, Google, etc) all their data, location, etc, on an hourly basis and don't even think twice about it.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2022 2:34 am 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

winstep wrote:
We are all like the proverbial frog being slowly boiled alive.

Alas, in principal you hit the nail on the head, Jorge. Though not all of us - there is an increasing number of people who are becoming privacy and security conscious and taking steps to protect themselves.

Myself, I sit behind the most secure and not just private but virtually anonymous VPN that kicks in at boot and won't allow any connections in or out until the VPN tunnel has been established. Even under Linux, I have a firewall and AV - belts and braces plus safety pins! ;) - in addition, and I only use totally private, secure, encrypted email where no-one can access my mailbox except myself. I use and highly recommend Proton, available on all platforms and most devices. Along with email and VPN you get an equally secure cloud drive and calendar. And if you want the full benefit of the top level security and privacy, the paid version is a bargain, and I'm already saving up a few pennies here and there for a bi-annual renewal at the same price a friend paid for me last year - for life, as a loyalty bonus! :D

In addition, I still also use TOR browser for most of my browsing, only occasionally using the only other reasonably secure and private browser, Firefox. And I steer well clear of anything Google or any of the other 'Big Tech', inc. so-called social media. There's also a brilliant search engine that doesn't collect your data or track you, DuckDuckGo, and that actually shows you the results that are most relevant to your search instead of what Google gets paid to show you first. :)
winstep wrote:
I still remember when users would throw a hissy fit and demand to know what was going on just because the Winstep application used the Internet to retrieve weather info or adjust the clock based on the atomic time servers.

Indeed. And some of us used all kinds of utilities to stop Windows harvesting all kinds of info and sending it back to MS, which was still easy to do back in the day.
winstep wrote:
Nowadays people voluntarily give big corporations (FB, Google, etc) all their data, location, etc, on an hourly basis and don't even think twice about it.

Yep. The fools! The fools! :( Unless people start to care about these things and take action, we'll inexorably slide into a total surveillance, zero privacy society. :evil: George Orwell eat your heart out - 1984 was a vicar's tea party compared to what we are actually facing.

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 5 posts ]