Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 11 posts ]
 Post subject: Pressure is wrong in weather module
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 7:27 pm 

My pressure is currently 1017.2 hPa but the weather module displays it as 101.7 Hpa.

Post subject: Re: Pressure is wrong in weather module
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 7:33 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

With a pressure like that you should probably call your doctor ASAP. :D

Seriously now, can you please post a screenshot here of your Weather Settings panel (right click Weather Module -> Weather Monitor Settings) ?

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 3:48 pm 

Attachment:
Weather.png
Weather.png [ 15.23 KiB | Viewed 7078 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 4:14 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

jorick wrote:
Attachment:
Weather.png

That is not what Jorge asked for! You were asked to submit a screenshot of your *Weather Settings* panel.

Alas, poor Jorick, I knew him, Horatio. :/

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 4:26 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

That is not what I asked for but it will do.

It was indeed a conversion bug for Atmospheric pressure when decoding METAR data. Fixed in the next release, thank you.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 1:37 pm 

Sorry. My day was a disaster. At least things worked out.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 3:48 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hey, no worries, we all have days like that. :D

Hope you're feeling better now - plus, if it makes you feel even just a little bit better, you helped to fix a bug that has been there (unreported) for nearly TWO DECADES. :D

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 3:37 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Well, as far as I can think back, this bug never showed up here....

Anyway, as I was going to make a start secure deleting all the bits that I can delete in the missus' Win partition yesterday, I thought I'd throw Winstep at it once more to keep an eye on the Weather module.

And, what turned up? Just 1 day forecast and current conditions, in the morning. By evening, that had changed to current conditions only. Same early this morning before I del'd everything and clean wiped Windblows from her Ubuntu partition. Now have to spend another few minutes, when I get a chance, to mover her Ubuntu partitions and expand them - all an absolute doddle under Linux and *fast*. :D

Anyway, so MSN weather feed definitely still totally f***ed.

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

Post subject: Re: MSN Weather Feed Totally F***ed!
PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 1:43 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Well, having at last 'dumped' Win 10 onto the i5 laptop but not configured anything yet apart from setting up my VPN, I was curious enough to have a quick go at Xtreme to see what the weather module got up to. That was yesterday.

No forecast, no 'live' current icon, just the usual few data. For the weather the night before! 'Get weather' refused to change anything. Pretty much the same in the evening and this morning. It's a complete joke! Why don't they just turn the whole damn thing off!? :|

Right, that's it - Windblows now has to wait to be properly configured until I can get Ubuntu on and properly configured. *If* all that works as intended and without Win10 f***ing with my GPT partitions!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2022 7:33 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

nexter wrote:
No forecast, no 'live' current icon, just the usual few data. For the weather the night before! 'Get weather' refused to change anything. Pretty much the same in the evening and this morning. It's a complete joke! Why don't they just turn the whole damn thing off!? :|

They better not, as there is currently no replacement for the MSN weather feed.

The Weather module supported a ton of different feeds for redundancy (Google, Yahoo, Weather Channel, MSN) but one by one they all stopped working or became inaccessible, until only the MSN feed (and METAR for current conditions on airports around the world) was left.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2022 2:27 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

winstep wrote:
nexter wrote:

They better not, as there is currently no replacement for the MSN weather feed.

The Weather module supported a ton of different feeds for redundancy (Google, Yahoo, Weather Channel, MSN) but one by one they all stopped working or became inaccessible, until only the MSN feed (and METAR for current conditions on airports around the world) was left.

Well, there are other feeds.... I was on my Linux box for a while this morning, in Fedora, and the weather extension there was perfectly fine and near as dammit spot on. (Generally though, the Linux weather extensions only give current conditions and next day forecast but that's fine for me.)

If all else fails, might be worth investigating the feeds used by Linux, and perhaps even the way the extensions are implemented? It's all open source and free, as in freedom to do with as you please - just needs to include their GPL license and acknowledgement.

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 11 posts ]