Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 48 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Skinning the Calendar Module
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 2:44 am 

I have got the hang of it again after a hiatus.... I am not in full swing yet as I actually have a life even at my age funnily enough... I also love the clean look whereas my previous attempts were for me, too bulky and took up too much real estate.
BUT - Now I have done a few with what exists, I will branch out on my own with my own ideas. This time less cluttered and more corporate - With all modules enabled, it is pretty much as Jorge said, to Unclutter, you need two monitors.
Brown/Timber draft office - It works but it is based on someone else's origina;l designs so while certainly usable, I make zero claim to it other than edits.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 3:33 am 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

On the security/privacy issue we seem to be pretty much in agreement. :) I like the whole ethic behind Proton, esp. the fact that everything is open source and independently audited annually. All software should be open source, and luckily we have Linux where this is so. As for websites blocking you out if you're connecting via VPN, my attitude tends to be, 'well, f**k you, I don't need a***holes like you. (That includes our BBC's iPlayer streaming service and its fascist insistence of having to register etc. even when you do get through.) Much the same problem also exists when using the TOR network, which I frequently use in combination with Proton VPN - not just TOR Browser (for 90-95% of my browsing) but all connections going through the TOR network via Proton.

Another issue is encryption. One should always encrypt all one's data, if only to protect against the risk of them falling into other hands through burglary, theft, etc. I've always kept my user files on separate drives from the system drive, and mostly on removable media, going right back to the old days of using Amigas and NeXT boxes. And I've been encrypting all my media with Veracrypt for a number of years, using multi-encryption. Until quantum computers become a viable proposition, it'll take the most powerful supercomputers longer than the universe has existed to crack that. 8)

I agree, I pity anyone 'new to the game' as it were trying to figure out what is or isn't safe. It really isn't easy for the average PC (or any other device, come to that) user, that's if they're even aware of the issues in the first place and don't just blindly plod along with the majority, alas.

I'll get around to looking for the info in re: the calendar and moon modules one of these days, that should make things clearer.

The taskbar can be a bit of a beast really if you're not 100% sure of what is what regarding alignment. Glad you found a way around the Workshelf alignment issues.

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 5:00 am 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

BassdudeNZ wrote:
I have got the hang of it again after a hiatus.... I am not in full swing yet as I actually have a life even at my age funnily enough... I also love the clean look whereas my previous attempts were for me, too bulky and took up too much real estate.
BUT - Now I have done a few with what exists, I will branch out on my own with my own ideas. This time less cluttered and more corporate - With all modules enabled, it is pretty much as Jorge said, to Unclutter, you need two monitors.
Brown/Timber draft office - It works but it is based on someone else's origina;l designs so while certainly usable, I make zero claim to it other than edits.

Well done! :)

Can't say I'm a particular aficionado of the Office themes myself though - WP is far too fussy and distracting for my tastes, and generally I find it a bit distracting.

I don't find clutter to be a problem. Personally, I have no use for the Mail and esp. that ghastly fish module, and the Weather one also is no use at all to me as I'm too far out from any weather station it seems, and generally would use only the Battery/UPS, Clock, and Moon mods and just sometimes the CPU and RAM ones. The Moon mod will be the only one on the desktop, probably. No use for the Recycler really as I tend to use secure deletion via the Linux terminal or via Eraser. (Except on 'hidden' partitions.) Also, I'll only be using the taskbar, a couple of custom menus, and one shelf. Esp. given the few apps I still use under Windows, that's all I need. The dock has long become surplus to requirements anyway, too old-fashioned a metaphor. Just superfluous eye candy really. :)

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 4:38 am 

Slowly getting in the swing of it again..
Just repairing some older ones I did from 5 years+ ago
_ I still am a long way from being happy. Funny how we change.
I forgot how gaudy some of mine were... Nonetheless, I made newer edits and the Calendar and Moon additions in context with what 'was'.
This one is non-cooperative. I will have to spend more time to work out why the workshelf won't cooperate and hides behind the start bar - more correctly - the start menu won't listen to any placement changes or go back down to zero in the corner and decides to jump up and cover the workshelf (it never used to).... sigh....que sera sera... Default template I made does not work on this one...
Besides that, I can see six places I need to do minor alignment fixes... Same for many of the older ones.
print tiny photos

Post subject: EXITING: Skinning the Calendar Module
PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2022 2:17 pm 

I found all the issues boiling down to one simple thing.
Prior versions of Windows would accept some variations in the start icon. Windows 11 decided to change a few things.

Any start menu icon at 60px can potentially do some crazy sh** to your design even if the startbar and everything else is written and aligned properly. 40px seems to stop Win 11 from thjrowing a hissy fit.
I'd say I wasted a lot of time boiling it down to a simple graphic after literally checking every single line and figure... every frivcking line.
BUT - I learned something new.
I felt like a putz in this process more than I could say but now I feel it was productive however small.

I can edit everything so now I clean up all of my old ones now I use vectors.
I did not like having to go back to what I used to use but I had no choice as the layers could not be read otherwise.
Onwards and upwards!!
Cheers and thanks for everyone's patience.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2022 5:53 am 

OK will leave everyone alone now... I did not get all the answers I wanted but that's the beauty of doing what I do - I can pretty much find anything out even if I do not get replies sourcing from who I know and my job. :)

Just about to create my own placeholders in illustrator after borrowing Jorge's to align,size it and keep it clean...
Almost done. I may even put this one up if it gets where I envision it. Context I guess
Bye all for now see you much later.. I am getting busy again, this was a nice end of holiday doing the creative thing I am worst at (by miles)...
BDNZ

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2022 4:37 pm 

Hi there...
I read the comments on the "Office V2" theme concerning the calendar and moon modules...
I specify that the "Office V2" theme was reworked by myself from the "Office" theme of "Jorge" concerning the menu, the sub-menus, the calendar, the clock, the weather, the battery, the moon module and various elements...
Out of respect for "Jorge", the fact that I really liked his theme and his authorization to publish the theme under the name "V2" (Version 2) I did not put my nickname "Picco14" as as author in the theme configuration files but I left and put "Winstep Software Technologies"...
If it helps anyone, here's a reminder:

Calendar Config : False where True

01 Date (Today)
O2 Day (Today)
03 Weekday (Today)
04 Month (Today)
05 Year (Today)
06 Month (Currently selected in calendar)
07 Year (Currently selected in calendar)
08 Month + Year (Currently selected in calendar)
09 Weekday Header
10 Days of the Month

Moon Config : False where True

01 Ex : Waning Gibbous
02 Moon Illumination
03 Moon Age
04 Moon Distance
05 Moon Subtends
06 Moonrise
07 Moonset
08 Sun Distance
09 Sun Subtends
10 Sunrise
11 Sunset
12 Position
13 Latitude
14 Longitude
15 Moon Azimuth
16 Moon Elevation
17 Moon Sign Zodiac
18 Last New Moon
19 First Quarter
20 Full Moon
21 Last Quarter
22 Next New Moon

Battery Config : False where True

01 Statut
02 Charge
03 Runtime
04 Name
05 Series
06 Manufacturer
07 Date of manufacture
08 Type
09 Chimie
10 Charging cycles
11 Health
12 Temperature
13 Voltage

Thank you to everyone...
Cordially...

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2022 2:31 am 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Picco14 wrote:
Hi there...
I read the comments on the "Office V2" theme concerning the calendar and moon modules...
I specify that the "Office V2" theme was reworked by myself from the "Office" theme of "Jorge" concerning the menu, the sub-menus, the calendar, the clock, the weather, the battery, the moon module and various elements...
Out of respect for "Jorge", the fact that I really liked his theme and his authorization to publish the theme under the name "V2" (Version 2) I did not put my nickname "Picco14" as as author in the theme configuration files but I left and put "Winstep Software Technologies"...

Woohoo! Thanks Picco14, I was going to dig up the notes I have on another disk later today, saves me the effort and time. :D

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2022 6:13 am 

Picco14 wrote:
Hi there...

Calendar Config : False where True

01 Date (Today)
O2 Day (Today)
03 Weekday (Today)
04 Month (Today)
05 Year (Today)
06 Month (Currently selected in calendar)
07 Year (Currently selected in calendar)
08 Month + Year (Currently selected in calendar)
09 Weekday Header
10 Days of the Month

Moon Config : False where True

01 Ex : Waning Gibbous
02 Moon Illumination
03 Moon Age
04 Moon Distance
05 Moon Subtends
06 Moonrise
07 Moonset
08 Sun Distance
09 Sun Subtends
10 Sunrise
11 Sunset
12 Position
13 Latitude
14 Longitude
15 Moon Azimuth
16 Moon Elevation
17 Moon Sign Zodiac
18 Last New Moon
19 First Quarter
20 Full Moon
21 Last Quarter
22 Next New Moon

Battery Config : False where True

01 Statut
02 Charge
03 Runtime
04 Name
05 Series
06 Manufacturer
07 Date of manufacture
08 Type
09 Chimie
10 Charging cycles
11 Health
12 Temperature
13 Voltage

Thank you to everyone...
Cordially...

Thank you !!!
I never knew it was you - Same applies in my comments thinking it was Jorge - SO CLEAN - Inspired me to go back to all my old ones and clean them up.
RESPECT your way.
Beautifully done.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2022 6:31 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Ufff... sorry, to be clear it was never my intention to let anyone think that Office v2 was skinned by me (or even the original Office, by the way: that one was made by Danillo on commission from Winstep Software Technologies).

It's just that I tend to let skinners discuss skinning issues among themselves, and as long as people are getting a response I simply "surface scan" a thread like this, so I failed to notice what was happening.

You will never see me taking credit for something I didn't do. :D

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2022 4:37 pm 

Ufff... sorry, to be clear...
Fully agree...
For "BassdudeNZ".
Let's give Caesar what is Caesar's.
I am not the designer of the original "Office" theme...

Theme original "Office" for WindowBlinds :

Credits: Original theme by Danillo (danilloOc), brought to you by Winstep Software Technologies and ported by Ross Fairbanks (Z71).

Shoutouts: To Don (don5318) for getting the ball rolling and for testing.

Controversy over for me...

Cordially...

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2022 5:03 pm 

Hi there,
sorry for maybe it is not right place to ask,
but I have the problem to SEE the calendar when click on the dock icon (pic attached).
I'm on Nexus Ultimate and theme is Windows_7_Xtreme.
I tried Classic style with the same result.
BTW, I have screen resolution 3840x2160, could it be a cause of the problem?

Attachments:
Calendar.jpg
Calendar.jpg [ 34.5 KiB | Viewed 6964 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2022 5:56 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

konic wrote:
but I have the problem to SEE the calendar when click on the dock icon (pic attached).

Ugh. That is actually a bug in Nexus Ultimate.

Right click the calendar icon in the dock, open the Theme sub-menu from the context menu that pops up and then select 'None'.

EDIT: already fixed this bug for next release.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2022 7:47 pm 

Thanks, setting to None fixed the problem!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2022 3:55 am 

winstep wrote:
calendar

Jorge

I gather it is possible to edit the FLIP calendar icon? i.e. do my own?
While it may seem obvious to many, I have never tried but one compact design I have started would prefer that instead as the full is too bulky. Seems like a noob and in some ways that's true, but I have never asked so I am now. Also - what are the image extensions/names to place in the theme folder to facilitate this?
Thanks in advance.

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 48 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next