Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 3 posts ]
 Post subject: Taskbar behavior different with Windows 11
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2022 7:17 pm 

I've been a longtime user of WinStep Extreme and never had this issue until I reluctantly upgraded to Windows 11. I searched on the forum but did not see this issue.

I have 3 monitors all same brand all same resolution. The TaskBar sits on the middle display.

My preference with the Taskbar is to have it docked at the bottom of the screen and fade to the bottom when hidden and appear when my mouse bumps the bottom of the screen edge.

The Taskbar works correctly if I set it to span all 3 monitors, but this is not workable as the icons are on the far left of my left monitor and the system tray on the far right of the right monitor with the center empty.

Once I upgraded to Windows 11 and rebooted the Taskbar works with my preference except it now sits on top of the Windows 11 Taskbar instead of the exact bottom of the center screen.

In the image below you can see the thin outline of the Taskbar hidden just above the hidden Windows 11 Taskbar
Attachment:
Takbar Hidden.jpg
Takbar Hidden.jpg [ 42.35 KiB | Viewed 3605 times ]

In the image below the Taskbar is exposed but sits on top of Windows 11 Taskbar. I did not have this problem with Windows 10 it sat at the bottom of the screen over the Windows 10 Taskbar. I want the Taskbar to sit on exact bottom of screen over Windows 11 Taskbar just like it did in Windows 10 and then hide into the bottom of screen.

If I leave the Taskbar undocked it will display correctly at the bottom of the screen but it hides to the bottom left of the screen and I can't find a way to correct it.

Attachment:
Taskbar Exposed.jpg
Taskbar Exposed.jpg [ 108.35 KiB | Viewed 3605 times ]

Here are the settings I have selected for the Taskbar with everything selected under the Advanced tab.

Attachments:
Taskbar Settings.jpg
Taskbar Settings.jpg [ 134.92 KiB | Viewed 3605 times ]

Post subject: Re: Taskbar behavior different with Windows 11
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2022 7:35 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Yes, in Windows 11 Microsoft decided to tweak with the Windows taskbar, the systray and the mechanism used to reserve screen space. None of this tweaking was for the better, if you ask me, and the taskbar actually lost a TON of functionality.

Anyway, you have the NextSTART taskbar set to auto-hide, right? Mine is never set to auto-hide (in fact the shelf sits on top of it, as by the default configuration) but just the other day I was fixing an issue with the Windows Widgets panel closing as soon as the NextSTART taskbar hid and I noticed this issue.

I still have to look at what *exactly* is causing this different behavior, but it should be fixed in the next release, hopefully.

P.S. I wish those newbie programmers at Microsoft stopped messing with things that were working fine for years - change simply for the sake of change - or at least for some older and wiser man at the company to carefully explain to them why that is such a bad idea and that new is not always better.

Profile WWW 

Post subject: Re: Taskbar behavior different with Windows 11
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2022 10:53 pm 

As I suspected and the reason why I was reluctant to upgrade to Windows 11.

I did some more experimenting and I found after booting if I shut my other monitors off and run only a single monitor the Taskbar works as i intended faded into bottom of screen hiding windows taskbar.

When I turn all my monitors back on the Taskbar still behaves as I intended.

When I shut Windows 11 down and restart the odd behavior starts all over again.

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 3 posts ]