Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 77 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: New bug? Empty system tray.
PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2023 12:43 am 

Please check the forum topics before making a post.

Post subject: Re: New bug? Empty system tray.
PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2023 1:00 am 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Solamain wrote:
Please check the forum topics before making a post.

Well said that man! Bravo Solamain! :D

Damienlee69 : Like the man said, check the damn forum first before posting a 'me too' post! You narrowly avoided a ban. Reading and following the Board Rules and Guideline also would be a very good idea, yes?

Finally, this is not a bug! It's a complete change in the system tray code of Windows 11 and entirely MS's doing. Now read the rest of this thread to which I have moved this infernal 'me too' nonsense, as I'm not going to repeat anything further that's already been discussed.

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

Post subject: Re: System Tray no longer showing after Windows 11 Update
PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2023 10:34 am 

nexter wrote:
Oh I think it needs a lot more than just a fresh bucket of paint and restructuring. ;) It also includes opening up Winstep's own (in 'beta') themes repository, even if it can't be changed and brought fully up to scratch with a redesign immediately, as it works alright as it is if not in the most elegant way. ;)

There is a planned-to-be themes directory? That sounds interesting! I think both the website and the app (Nexus) are design-wise quite a bit behind. It still looks like early-2000s design language, with all the effects, glass and skeuomorphism still at large. Each to their own, but I always felt this could look a lot more modern, and not in a bad, hunt-the-latest-trend way.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2023 3:39 am 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

froschfinger wrote:
nexter wrote:
Oh I think it needs a lot more than just a fresh bucket of paint and restructuring. ;) It also includes opening up Winstep's own (in 'beta') themes repository, even if it can't be changed and brought fully up to scratch with a redesign immediately, as it works alright as it is if not in the most elegant way. ;)

There is a planned-to-be themes directory? That sounds interesting! I think both the website and the app (Nexus) are design-wise quite a bit behind. It still looks like early-2000s design language, with all the effects, glass and skeuomorphism still at large. Each to their own, but I always felt this could look a lot more modern, and not in a bad, hunt-the-latest-trend way.

Oh not only planned but has been 'in beta' for a few years now, awaiting a 'lick of fresh paint' or so. ;) It's there on the site, together with quite a lot of themes (mostly elderly) by 3 or 4 skinners, IIRC. It's fully functional if not very 'pretty'. :) Jorge was going to find someone to do a re-design of it, but then came the pandemic and Jorge has been reluctant to raise his prices too much (they are still well below what they should or need to be, IMO) so I would imagine cost has been a delaying factor....

I agree, the website, apps (esp. Nexus), and also particular the default themes could really use an update to a more contemporary, more minimalist design. In particular, I would like to see default themes (and more themes generally!) that take a more minimalist approach, with wallpapers that aren't too distracting (please, no darn photos or 'photo-realistic' artwork!) and a totally minimalist approach to interface design. And let's get rid of horrid 'rotten fruit' (past) glass effects, and generally less effects for goodness sake. They're not really 'eye candy' but just a distraction. (As are animated icons - I can see some justification for an animated recycler/waste bin, as an old NeXT-man, but there's really no need for them.)

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 2:15 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

itxclan2 wrote:

Abuse/insults removed and compliments returned with a second permanent ban.

Looks like this board is turning into a playground for juvenile delinquents who try to compensate for their dick anxiety with foul language and insults. Oh well..... :twisted:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 2:22 pm 

nexter wrote:
itxclan2 wrote:

Looks like this board is turning into a playground for juvenile delinquents who try to compensate for their dick anxiety with foul language and insults. Oh well..... :twisted:

The trouble here is that this supposedly one nasty individual is now just registering with new e-mail addresses, so in theory, he can come back anytime with a new username. The joke's on him though, as banning him is probably less work than re-registering again and again just to spread the hate. A lost cause, me thinks.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 2:29 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

froschfinger wrote:
nexter wrote:
itxclan2 wrote:

The trouble here is that this supposedly one nasty individual is now just registering with new e-mail addresses, so in theory, he can come back anytime with a new username. The joke's on him though, as banning him is probably less work than re-registering again and again just to spread the hate. A lost cause, me thinks.

Oh absolutely a lost cause. Psychopaths and people like that one - only sensible, decent thing would be, shoot 'em or, in this case, quick ban after ban.... :P And yes, far less work than re-reg'ing with new user name, email, and IP. :D

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 3:27 pm 

For Europeans, the IP address is not a big thing, it changes once every 24 hours. Only I think it's not very clever to speak of shooting people, I myself wouldn't even want to think of that with my worst enemies (I have none that I know of) ;) .

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 4:14 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

froschfinger wrote:
For Europeans, the IP address is not a big thing, it changes once every 24 hours. Only I think it's not very clever to speak of shooting people, I myself wouldn't even want to think of that with my worst enemies (I have none that I know of) ;) .

Hmm, different here. IP is basically dynamic, but in practice, it generally only seems to change if you're off-line for something like a fortnight. Of no interest here as nobody and nothing ever sees my real IP as my VPN (Proton) makes it untraceable (on all my OSes and machines - I can have it on up to 10 devices) at boot time, with Killswitch prior to any network connection. In addition, as I almost exclusively use TOR browser, the TOR network further anonymises even the VPN! 8)

Also, I gather that continental broadband is pretty slow compared to here, especially ADSL. (Cable here is inching ever closer to 1Gb/s down speed!)

As for the shooting remark, it was somewhat humorous/sarcastic and marked with a ( :P ). :) However, according to some medical friends, it is the only way to treat psychopaths - and incidentally neurotics of course - (although again, it's not necessarily meant literally). (P'paths are defined as having zero empathy and zero ability to learn/benefit from experience. Hence many 'career' criminals fall into this category as they commit the same offence over and over, and with it the same mistakes that get them caught each time.)

On principle, I am opposed to all forms of state sanctioned murder BTW, for whatever offence. :)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 4:29 pm 

Well, continental-European countries, as far as I know, demand internet connections to be cut once every 24 hours, and thus IP addresses last for no more than that, plus are always dynamic. Except for some static IPs instated by big companies, which cunts that type away on these forums here usually don't have (I mean those jerks that SPAM here, not everybody).

As for shooting, I could have guessed you're not serious, sounded just a tad bit too violent for me, but granted: irony. Glad to hear you're against state-sanctioned - and probably any kind - of murder or slaughter.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 8:54 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

froschfinger wrote:
Well, continental-European countries, as far as I know, demand internet connections to be cut once every 24 hours, and thus IP addresses last for no more than that, plus are always dynamic. Except for some static IPs instated by big companies, which cunts that type away on these forums here usually don't have (I mean those jerks that SPAM here, not everybody).

Not quite sure what you mean in the last sentence above - perhaps "....which counts out those types here on these forums, who don't have static IP (....)?"

froschfinger wrote:
As for shooting, I could have guessed you're not serious, sounded just a tad bit too violent for me, but granted: irony. Glad to hear you're against state-sanctioned - and probably any kind - of murder or slaughter.

Sarcasm, anyway. :) And yes, *any* kind of murder, whether slaughter or otherwise. :) Especially of other species than the pathetic human one (there are far, far too many of us!) And I'd probably even include trees at least - there's a pretty good chance they may actually be sentient, too. I regret though to have to admit to not being fully vegetarian yet, but getting there, slowly. Never vegan though - unnatural. 8)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 11:18 pm 

nexter wrote:
froschfinger wrote:

Not quite sure what you mean in the last sentence above - perhaps "....which counts out those types here on these forums, who don't have static IP (....)?"

Perhaps read again? Or did I make a syntactical error I didn't spot myself?

froschfinger wrote:

Sarcasm, anyway. :) And yes, *any* kind of murder, whether slaughter or otherwise. :) Especially of other species than the pathetic human one (there are far, far too many of us!) And I'd probably even include trees at least - there's a pretty good chance they may actually be sentient, too. I regret though to have to admit to not being fully vegetarian yet, but getting there, slowly. Never vegan though - unnatural. 8)[/quote]
The nature of being vegan (I am not) shall be left for others to discuss, but I gladly admit I have been a veggie since I was ten. Still struggling to leave cheese and eggs, but vegan food is getting very close to even making that possible! Glad you're not some murderous-lusting old man with an intense nack for language :D .

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2023 2:14 am 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

froschfinger wrote:
nexter wrote:
froschfinger wrote:

Perhaps read again? Or did I make a syntactical error I didn't spot myself?

LOL! Oops, certainly should have read that properly! Sorry FF. :) It's the 'cunt' word that threw me I guess, quite unexpected. No objection though. :) It's a word of good old Old English/Anglo-Saxon origin - 'cwent' (also proto-Germanic) was the only word that was available to them to describe the female genitalia and also served to mean 'sex', transitioning with the same meanings through Middle English as quent, later quant. So, a perfectly good, harmless word. :D

As for the spam, much of it if not most could be avoided by migrating to phpBB3.x, and all inc. that placed in the user profile and/or signature could be prevented from reaching the forums by having the first few posts of a new user moderated, i.e. approved, and offenders' accounts deleted - the latter, alas, can only be done by an administrator. But then Jorge hates moderating early posts. :(

froschfinger wrote:
nexter wrote:
froschfinger wrote:

Sarcasm, anyway. :) And yes, *any* kind of murder, whether slaughter or otherwise. :) Especially of other species than the pathetic human one (there are far, far too many of us!) And I'd probably even include trees at least - there's a pretty good chance they may actually be sentient, too. I regret though to have to admit to not being fully vegetarian yet, but getting there, slowly. Never vegan though - unnatural. 8)

The nature of being vegan (I am not) shall be left for others to discuss, but I gladly admit I have been a veggie since I was ten. Still struggling to leave cheese and eggs, but vegan food is getting very close to even making that possible! Glad you're not some murderous-lusting old man with an intense nack for language :D .

Glad to note that you're not vegan. :) There's no chance of vegan food replacing eggs and cheese - vegan 'cheeses' taste disgusting and they don't supply the essential animal proteins and minerals (vitamins) that humans evolved with and depend on. The whole vegan thing is just unnatural as a consequence, as dietary supplements are not well absorbed by the human metabolism and cost a fortune, as well as not being eco-friendly. I used to be a full-on veggie in my youth and my salad days, and eggs and cheese are of course perfectly acceptable as part of a veggie diet. Besides, cheese especially is one thing I would never ever even consider giving up, not for all the tea in China. ;) I do tend to avoid eggs at the moment though on account of avian flu but love eggs - chicken, duck, and esp. goose. Cheese is the one thing I often missed badly whenever travelling to Germany - no real local cheeses and imported ones hard to find and very expensive. :( And I always had to bring as much and as many different cheeses as possible for friends and acquaintances. All other continental countries that I've visited have superb local cheeses though.

"....murderous lusting old man..." LOL! Oh, I don't know. Nothing wrong with libido. ;) ('Internal' age 18-24! :P )

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2023 8:53 pm 

Dear Winstep Team,

I understand that Microsoft is making it very difficult for you. However, I am a paying customer who has been using this tool for 2 years and has therefore already invested some of my money in your project. I'm happy to pay for Winstep Nexus Pro because it's the only program that can free me from my Windows 11 taskbar problem (screen resolution: 3840x1080 with full width taskbar). And no, I don't have the choice to downgrade to Windows 10 as I have to use windows 11 for business.

But what bothers me is your update policy! I pay for a year's updates of a program which (in my opinion) is deliberately only updated once a year. This means that I have to work with a broken product until another update comes along. I would appreciate it if such things were fixed a little faster, as I would like to work productively with my PC!

Best regards

Draco

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2023 2:59 am 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

DracoC2M wrote:
Dear Winstep Team,

I understand that Microsoft is making it very difficult for you. However, I am a paying customer who has been using this tool for 2 years and has therefore already invested some of my money in your project. I'm happy to pay for Winstep Nexus Pro because it's the only program that can free me from my Windows 11 taskbar problem (screen resolution: 3840x1080 with full width taskbar). And no, I don't have the choice to downgrade to Windows 10 as I have to use windows 11 for business.

But what bothers me is your update policy! I pay for a year's updates of a program which (in my opinion) is deliberately only updated once a year. This means that I have to work with a broken product until another update comes along. I would appreciate it if such things were fixed a little faster, as I would like to work productively with my PC!

Best regards

Draco

Most years there are several updates. However, the advent of Windows 11 has thrown a whole range of obstacles in the way of getting around problems created by Windows 11 and so they take a long time. Updates take whatever time they take.

In any event, you labour under the misapprehension that your purchase price is paying for the software *and* updates. This is not the case. As has been repeatedly pointed out in this forum by Jorge Coelho, the sole coder and owner of Winstep and admin of this board, any updates during the course of your year's license are a *free bonus*, and this is also addressed on the website.

Nobody is holding a gun to your head and forcing you to renew your license as soon as it expires, although it would be a nice appreciation of the work that goes into the software, But you are perfectly free to wait to renew until there is an update that you want. That too is stated on the website, incidentally. The programme will continue working indefinitely if your license expires and is yours to keep.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 77 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next