Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 8 posts ]

Would you be happy to payer higher prices for Winstep apps with better customer support?

Poll ended at Mon Apr 03, 2023 10:01 pm
Yes, I'd gladly pay 3-4 times the current price for 24/7 email support
0%
[ 0 ]
Yes, I'd be happy to pay double the price for 5-day a week part-time email support
33%
[ 1 ]
No, I would not be happy at all to pay more for improved support
67%
[ 2 ]

Total votes : 3
 Post subject: L8st Re: Customer Support Esp. WRT Win 11 Issues!
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2023 10:01 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

OK people, hope that subject line grabbed everybody's attention, but especially any moaning ninnies complaining about customer support. ;)

Now, being that Winstep is a one-man band, with the developer often extremely and intensely busy with solving issues - especially arising from code changes in Windows 11 - and not always able to answer support queries either in email, PMs, or in the forum promptly nor sometimes even for some time, and given the recent number of complaints in this regard, I would be interested to see how many of you would be prepared to pay more for Winstep apps for better customer support. Hence, I have decided to hold a poll in this respect.

Bear in mind that in order to provide more support, Winstep would have to train and employ paid staff who want to eat! Further bear in mind that you always get what you pay for.

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

Post subject: Re: L8st Re: Customer Support Esp. WRT Win 11 Issues!
PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2023 12:45 am 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Only five days left to vote (and you have to be logged in!), and only two bothered to vote so far, both not happy to pay for improved support.

How lame! :(

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2023 4:50 am 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Exactly the outcome I anticipated. No-one but three people could be arsed to vote, and two of those voted not happy to pay for improved support and one for paying more for 5-day/week part-time email support, brave soul.

Just shows the majority are happy to bitch and moan about something but never willing to pay for improvements that cost. ;)

So there we have it then.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2023 2:19 pm 

Sorry I've seen this too late, because I just registered to report a bug. I would pay more to get a quicker support, too. I like the dock and hope you will keep it running. But I also like professional support that helps with problems.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2023 7:16 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

LoneWolf wrote:
Sorry I've seen this too late, because I just registered to report a bug. I would pay more to get a quicker support, too. I like the dock and hope you will keep it running. But I also like professional support that helps with problems.

Too late for the poll, indeed. :)

The system tray problem in Windows 11 is not a bug, it is a complete change in the system tray code by MS. You could have learned that and all the answers to your query by reading the thread in which you posted it. Sadly, your post falls into the 'me too' post category, adding nothing to the discourse. Normally, these kind of posts result in a warning and deletion, but I'll spare you the former and explain it here. :)

When one comes into a new forum, it pays to familiarise oneself with it and read recent posts, as well as look up and follow any Board Rules and Guidelines. Please, do us both a favour and do so now. :)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2023 10:59 pm 

nexter wrote:
The system tray problem in Windows 11 is not a bug, it is a complete change in the system tray code by MS. You could have learned that and all the answers to your query by reading the thread in which you posted it. Sadly, your post falls into the 'me too' post category, adding nothing to the discourse. Normally, these kind of posts result in a warning and deletion, but I'll spare you the former and explain it here. :)

Thank you for explaining that. Sorry I did not pay attantion to that. I had not the time to read the whole thread. But I have now made up for that. The tone here is quite harsh. Is that normal?

nexter wrote:
When one comes into a new forum, it pays to familiarise oneself with it and read recent posts, as well as look up and follow any Board Rules and Guidelines. Please, do us both a favour and do so now. :)

The rules here seem to be somewhat different from what I know. All I wanted to share was that I have the same problem. In other Forums is that the normal way to help the team to priorize the todo. I did not know, that this is diffenent here. Excuse my ignorance.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2023 12:36 am 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

LoneWolf wrote:
nexter wrote:

Thank you for explaining that. Sorry I did not pay attantion to that. I had not the time to read the whole thread. But I have now made up for that. The tone here is quite harsh. Is that normal?

You're welcome. :) As for the tone in the forum - no, not usually that harsh. It all depends on what someone says and does. If everything is civil and courteous or at least polite, as well as accurate, then everything's all sweetness and light as it were. ;) But unfortunately - especially lately - we seem to get a few users who are argumentative and/or abusive or aggressive, just looking for trouble really, so I sometimes have to use an iron fist and hand out warnings and/or bans. Fortunately, that was not the case here, of course. :D
LoneWolf wrote:
The rules here seem to be somewhat different from what I know. All I wanted to share was that I have the same problem. In other Forums is that the normal way to help the team to priorize the todo. I did not know, that this is diffenent here. Excuse my ignorance.

Well, in that particular example, yes, a certain number of users reporting the same problem can be useful indeed, but after a while, then no new information is being edited, it tend to become extremely tedious and we had quite a number of these reports already in various threads and beginning with the Insider Beta of Windows 11 around December last. Anyway, no problem. :)

In general, the Board Rules and Guidelines etc. here are a lot more liberal (and a heap shorter!) than any I've ever encountered elsewhere. And perhaps that's one of the reasons we sometimes end up with troublemakers and other characters. :(

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2023 3:55 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

As things are fairly quiet right now this is a good time for a reminder.

A lot of people have been 'complaining' - not to say bitching and moaning - about the standard of customer support by Winstep Software Technologies in recent months, mostly with completely unjustified and unjustifiable, as well as unrealistic, expectations and even 'demands'.

Of course, none of these complainers paused for a moment to consider that Winstep is a one-man operation whose sole proprietor, coder, and admin of this board is swamped with work on updates and the like, as well as a substantial backlog of support issues, and as such while doing his very best he simply cannot give support issues his attention at all times when there are important update issues to be resolved. Some or even a lot of the complainers furthermore seemed to labour under the delusion that moderators of boards are somehow customer support people or even directly involved in the coding of apps! This is patently not the case, as can be gleaned HERE.

It should be fairly obvious to anyone that full-on, instant or even near-instant customer support needs more than one person, and that dedicated customer support costs money. However, at the low prices charged for Winstep apps, it is absolutely impossible to provide dedicated customer support. This again should be fairly obvious.

Yet, when in the above poll I asked people to vote on whether or not they would be prepared to pay for improved customer support, the response was completely underwhelming to say the least. Exactly 3 people even bothered to vote, with only one being prepared to pay and the other two not wanting to pay more.

So, there it is in a nutshell. Everybody wants to go to heaven, nobody wants to die! :P

Of course, admittedly I can see that customer support could be improved and ways to do this to some extent without additional cost. For a start, I think email support should be available only to users with a current subscription. That would quite likely reduce the workload on email support to a fair extent. It would best be implemented by having a dedicated web form for this, with a back end script that would validate the request as being by a user with a current subscription else delete it. Generally, PMs could be excluded from support issues unless a user is specifically asked by Jorge to use it (anything else simply gets deleted). Simple. As for users of the free version of Nexus, support would be limited entirely to this forum, as indeed it would be for anyone without a current subscription.

Basically, the whole issue comes down to the fact that you get what you pay for. :)

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 8 posts ]