Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 114 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
 Post subject: Re: So, what's next after v16.9?
PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 10:26 pm 

"Allowed me to notice a major bug with the desktop calendar module, even though the current day was changing correctly, the calendar 'page' did not change when the month changed, it still said 'November 2016' at the top. :)"

I'm not seeing that. Desktop calendar is functioning correctly. BTW, thanks for the instruction for getting back to the current date. Duh indeed.

Your addition of the module tab for Nexus looks good and makes sense. Question: I cannot get that preferences screen. When I choose 'preferences' I get the WS preferences screen. Is that because I have WS Extreme and the Nexus preferences are only incorporated into WorkShelf?

Is there a way to change the color of the date when there is an event for that day? Currently it is a very light blue which is not readily noticeable. This is for the 'flip' calendar shown in full style on the desktop. The 'classic' style event date is quite noticeable :-)

Thank you sir.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 10:06 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

werewolf wrote:
I'm not seeing that. Desktop calendar is functioning correctly.

Well, what happened is that it simply failed to 'turn the page' at midnight of the last day of the month. Of course, for that to happen it had to be running at midnight - if you exited Xtreme before midnight and run it again after midnight the calendar would display the correct month.

werewolf wrote:
Your addition of the module tab for Nexus looks good and makes sense. Question: I cannot get that preferences screen. When I choose 'preferences' I get the WS preferences screen. Is that because I have WS Extreme and the Nexus preferences are only incorporated into WorkShelf?

Preferences for WorkShelf and for the free version of Nexus are necessarily different because Nexus only supports one dock. Under Nexus there is only one Preferences screen. Under WorkShelf/Nexus Ultimate you have a general Preferences screen and then multiple separate Dock Properties panels (one for each dock) as well as a single Shelf Properties panel.

Because WorkShelf/Winstep Xtreme supports desktop modules, the Modules tab in Preferences has options for those. Nexus free and Nexus Ultimate don't, so they needed a 'simplified' version of the Modules tab in WorkShelf.

werewolf wrote:
Is there a way to change the color of the date when there is an event for that day? Currently it is a very light blue which is not readily noticeable. This is for the 'flip' calendar shown in full style on the desktop. The 'classic' style event date is quite noticeable :-)

See, this is the type of feedback I find very useful.

There is no way to change the colors since those are the default styles and are therefore hard-coded. However, I also thought you had a point, so I just added a clearly visible purple round marker for event days on the Flip calendar.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 10:35 pm 

werewolf wrote:
"Is there a way to change the color of the date when there is an event for that day? Currently it is a very light blue which is not readily noticeable. This is for the 'flip' calendar shown in full style on the desktop. The 'classic' style event date is quite noticeable :-)

Thank you sir.

Awww, you fixed it. lol Thank you Jorge. This looks way better.
Merry Christmas to you and yours.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 6:24 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

werewolf wrote:
Awww, you fixed it. lol Thank you Jorge. This looks way better.

Told you I would. :)

werewolf wrote:
Merry Christmas to you and yours.

A bit late, but thanks... Happy New Year!!! :)

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 4:42 am 

Hi Jorge,

Would it be possible to:

1. Make thumbnail previews much larger (best of all, allow the user to configure the dimensions)?

2. Fix a problem with Firefox thumbnail previews? Currently, the Firefox thumbnail preview shows only a single thumbnail, no matter how many tabs are open. But the Windows 10 taskbar shows a thumbnail preview for each open tab (assuming that Tools->Options...->General->Show tab previews in the Windows taskbar is checked). (If you could also somehow do this for Chrome, and Edge, it would be amazing!)

Not having 2 is the only thing preventing me from using Winstep regularly. I keep having to go back to the Windows taskbar because being able to see thumbnail previews of each of Firefox's tabs so that I can switch to the one that I want is a must-have feature.

Thanks for your excellent work!

Steve

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 3:19 pm 

winstep wrote:
Ok, second beta released.

5. Fixed an old and very hard to diagnose z-order bug that usually happened when the dock was set to the bottom of the screen right above the taskbar. After clicking a button on the taskbar to bring a new window forward, the dock would bring forward the previously foreground window as the mouse pointer traveled over it to reach the new window. Bloody annoying! :)

Jorge, Thank-you for fixing that bug! It was so annoying that I had stopped using the software because of it.

Happy New Year!

Last edited by this on Thu Dec 29, 2016 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 3:32 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

stevej wrote:
1. Make thumbnail previews much larger (best of all, allow the user to configure the dimensions)?

You can already, unless you mean larger than 512 pixels (which I already think is too big since there are still computers out there with a 640x480 screen resolution lol).

In NextSTART:

Preferences -> Taskbar tab -> Tasklist Settings -> Advanced -> Window Preview Thumbnails

In WorkShelf:

Preferences -> Tasks tab -> Advanced -> Window Preview Thumbnails.

You do NOT need to change the size in BOTH applications, the size information is automatically shared between them.

stevej wrote:
2. Fix a problem with Firefox thumbnail previews? Currently, the Firefox thumbnail preview shows only a single thumbnail, no matter how many tabs are open. But the Windows 10 taskbar shows a thumbnail preview for each open tab (assuming that Tools->Options...->General->Show tab previews in the Windows taskbar is checked). (If you could also somehow do this for Chrome, and Edge, it would be amazing!)

I already looked into this a long time ago and came out empty at the time.

Up until (IIRC) Windows Vista the Windows taskbar was a completely independent entity from all the windows in the system. It filtered which windows appeared on the taskbar via a specific set of rules and there was no direct communication between the taskbar and other windows/applications.

Microsoft changed that and now applications can directly tell the taskbar which windows/buttons to display, specify extra information such as Jumplists, etc... The problem is that this information is all kept 'private' to the Windows taskbar and stored within internal data structures that 3rd party applications do not have access to. At least not easily.

I can look into this again, but no promises.

Also, if you were like me, who always has a TON of FF windows open simultaneously (right now there's 20 of them, for instance), the last thing you would want would be thumbnail previews of the tabs as well! ;-)

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 3:52 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

this wrote:
Jorge, Thank-you for fixing that bug! It was so annoying that I had stopped using the software because of it. I think it is time to send you some more money.

YES!!! GIMME$$$$ GIMME$$$$ :P :)

Bloody difficult bug to track down. Seriously, I really, really, really, HATE bugs. But to fix them I need to understand what is happening and causing them (i.e.; reproduce them here).

Users also need to report them in. There are thousands of different possible setting combinations and I cannot re-test them all every time I make a new release, so a bug that may be obvious to you may go unnoticed by me unless you report it in (hopefully with steps to reproduce).

Software like Winstep is extremely large and complex and there are inter-dependencies *everywhere*. It is simply impossible for any human to hold an accurate and detailed model of the whole code in their heads.

That is why sometimes, when adding new features or fixing bugs, new problems end up being accidentally created in code that was previously working fine. Such is the nature of software.

An example of this in v16.12: I finally found a fix for a very annoying issue where resolving a shortcut could, under very specific situations and depending on the shortcut, invoke a MSI Installer dialog. Only problem is that this fix also broke resolving shortcuts pointing to 64 bit applications (which usually is only necessary to do in the All Programs sub-menu of NextSTART - so this went unnoticed by me until a user pointed it out).

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 4:15 pm 

Hi Jorge,

Quote:
You can already, unless you mean larger than 512 pixels (which I already think is too big since there are still computers out there with a 640x480 screen resolution lol).

Wow--thank you!! Perfect!

Quote:
The problem is that this information is all kept 'private' to the Windows taskbar and stored within internal data structures that 3rd party applications do not have access to. At least not easily.

Interesting. The odd thing is that Stardock ObjectDock can do this. They last updated it 2.5 years ago, and it has a bunch of major bugs, but that aspect of it works (amazingly)!

Let me ask someone that I know that used to work for Microsoft, to see if he might be able to give us a suggestion.

I have an unrelated suggestion (and maybe I just haven't explored the settings enough). Can you make Winstep friendlier on hybrid devices such as the Surface so that when we rip off the keyboard and it goes into tablet mode, perhaps Winstep should move out of the way and reactivate the Windows taskbar?

I'm really impressed with your work! You're crazy-talented, you've thought of everything, and you've built a truly high-quality, versatile product. :)

Thanks!

Steve

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 114 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8