Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 114 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: So, what's next after v16.9?
PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 6:03 pm 

winstep wrote:
vectornut wrote:
In conjunction with what werewolf is saying, it would be nice if it could access one or more of the popular calendars out there (iCloud, Google, Outlook) and display today's items on mouseover.

See, that's where it starts getting complicated. I have no idea if those apps have an external public API to get that information from them.

To be honest, I'd be happy if I could just get the calendar on my desktop. I would like to be able to at least do something like what you see in my Sputnik screenshot (using a Rainlendar calendar):

http://wincustomize.com/explore/screenshots/15080/

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 6:13 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

vectornut wrote:
I'd be happy if I could just get the calendar on my desktop. I would like to be able to at least do something like what you see in my Sputnik screenshot (using a Rainlendar calendar)

That's the idea. Something else I will look at is a way to import Rainlendar calendar skins, if possible.

Style 2 of the calendar module, by the way:

Attachments:
WS Calendar Docklet 02  - preview.png
WS Calendar Docklet 02 - preview.png [ 231.13 KiB | Viewed 17836 times ]

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 7:25 pm 

Nice. Can you also look at the Day and Year (for the Desktop Module)? Thanks.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 1:40 pm 

winstep wrote:
That's the idea. Something else I will look at is a way to import Rainlendar calendar skins, if possible.

Style 2 of the calendar module, by the way:

I know I would and I am sure many others would also like to be able to add their own designs too?

If it is going to delay your theme builder release, I can happily wait. While I have moderately stabilised 9.5, I'd really prefer to use a recent version :)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:54 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

BassdudeNZ wrote:
I know I would and I am sure many others would also like to be able to add their own designs too?

Of course.

Default look of the desktop module version of the calendar (matching style 1 and style 2 of the icon module) for when there is not calendar theme provided:

Attachments:
WS Calendar Full 01.png
WS Calendar Full 01.png [ 397.84 KiB | Viewed 17811 times ]
WS Calendar Full 02.png
WS Calendar Full 02.png [ 447.37 KiB | Viewed 17811 times ]

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 2:52 am 

Very nice! :)

I figure like other docklets, it can be resized in design mode to sm-med-lge and selctable content as in what displays, so like the others, you just click it and something opens with full details? yes? no?

PS - I think I filled up your forum image quota again lmao

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 4:06 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

BassdudeNZ wrote:
I figure like other docklets, it can be resized in design mode to sm-med-lge and selctable content as in what displays, so like the others, you just click it and something opens with full details? yes? no?

Yes, the desktop version will be customizable just like other modules. The images above are just the default 'looks'.

BassdudeNZ wrote:
PS - I think I filled up your forum image quota again lmao

Nah, just tested adding an attachment, seems to be working fine. Logging to the server also shows only 75 MB used out of 500 MB available.

What message did you get? Perhaps the file itself was too large?

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 4:23 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Anyway, I have to say I'm *really* glad I made it easy to add new modules in the code when I added the battery module.

It was really a lot of work at the time (it literally took weeks to re-organize all the code, if I remember correctly), but adding new modules now is a cinch.

Almost as easy as adding a new module name to a list, the rest of the application automatically picking up from that. Almost but not quite, of course: it's still necessary to add code to give functionality to the module, render what it looks like, and design the configuration panels, but it's a bit like making sausages now: in a couple of days I had a new working Calendar module. :)

Before, adding a new module was a nightmare: each module was handled separately, a lot of code had to be repeated, and the bits and pieces where spread all over the whole code! Forgetting to change or add something related to that particular new module was almost certain, which would lead to lots of bugs later on.

Not anymore! Also took advantage now to further improve this 'modular approach' to adding modules in the code, so it will be even easier (and quicker) in the future.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 8:58 pm 

I have to admit reading a thread in another area how your code overrides windows in resizing, I was amazed how strong your programming must truly be. I know a lot of people might turn up their noses at that, but to me, that's like making an elephant climb a tree.
;)

So nothing much you do in the programming area will surprise me now lol

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 12:18 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

If I've been very quiet on this thread lately, it's because of how busy I have been churning out code.

I have some very good news concerning the future skinning abilities of desktop modules: a lot of the work I just did had to do with further consolidating the modularity of the code behind the desktop modules.

Since the vast majority of the code is now shared between modules, adding new features to one automatically adds it to all the others. This means, for instance, that all desktop modules now support overlay bitmaps (previously only the Net, CPU, RAM and Wanda desktop modules did). Likewise, all modules now support 'ticker' (scrolling text) fields when the text information does not fit in the available space (previously only the Weather module did).

The unification of the code and some of the changes also made it very easy to make the desktop modules support even more text information fields (for instance, adding separate hour, minutes and seconds fields would make creating digital desktop clock themes a lot easier). With the newly added shared support for 'lists' (such as those used by the CPU and RAM desktop modules to display a list of the top CPU and RAM hogs) the Email Desktop module could also display separate entries for each of the user-defined email accounts (much like the balloon tooltip does now).

Of course, taking advantage of all these new features is greatly dependent on further development, and the upcoming public release, of the Winstep Theme Builder application.

The good news is that all these changes also made further development of the Theme Builder a lot easier - plus, I won't be able to use and fully test the new features myself until the Theme Builder is actually complete. So now I have a solid incentive to finally finish the damn thing! :)

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 11:19 pm 

Would be great to allow multiple weather Modules for different locations.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 11:29 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

TheDude23112 wrote:

I recently discussed that HERE and HERE.

Btw, the Calendar module is now linked to the clock Alarms, so days with active alarms are marked on the calendar. Clicking that day on the calendar allows you to directly edit or delete the alarm. Clicking a non-marked day automatically opens the new alarm dialog, so you can create a new alarm/reminder for that day.

Thing is: I never used any calendar applications in my life. I just never felt the need.

The problem with this is that I don't really know what is useful in a calendar module, besides the visual aspect. So, again, if you have any ideas, post them now.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 12:07 am 

Being able to set events and notes (think Rainlendar) would be good.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 1:29 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Gregory2001 wrote:
Being able to set events and notes (think Rainlendar) would be good.

What is the difference between events and the existing Winstep clock alarms?

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 4:18 am 

winstep wrote:
TheDude23112 wrote:

I recently discussed that HERE and HERE.

Btw, the Calendar module is now linked to the clock Alarms, so days with active alarms are marked on the calendar. Clicking that day on the calendar allows you to directly edit or delete the alarm. Clicking a non-marked day automatically opens the new alarm dialog, so you can create a new alarm/reminder for that day.

Thing is: I never used any calendar applications in my life. I just never felt the need.

The problem with this is that I don't really know what is useful in a calendar module, besides the visual aspect. So, again, if you have any ideas, post them now.

In my opinion, most of the functionality should come from the calendar application that the calendar docklet links to. I use the Windows 10 Calendar app (which is linked to my Gmail/Google account) and that app provides toast notifications for reminders and events which I have added to Google Calendar. That's all the functionality I need from a Calendar app. For the Calendar module/docket itself, I just need the icon to display current month and day and it would be nice if the icon could be changed and if the text on the icon could be resized and repositioned as needed. I remember the old calendar docklet for Rocketdock allowed you use different icons and you could also customize the text - the font, size, position, and even angle of the text. Again, some of these items would be "nice to haves" but the main idea is a dynamic icon that shows current month/day and launches the calendar app of your choice.

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 114 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next