Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 4 posts ]
 Post subject: New key file not honoured
PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 10:40 am 

Hello!
  • - I got this friendly reminder that my subscription will end November 1 and hence purchased and downloaded the new key file Xtreme.wsxkey on november 1.
  • - However it is not taken into account. Evry now and then a message pops up "Subscription was valid for updaes resed until: October 31 2016" - same information on the About window.
  • - Pevious subscription updates went fine since 2013.
  • - In the registry at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\WinstepXtremeKey I find only the default value "Winstep License Key" - which does not lead to any information (search value name "Winstep License Key").
  • - In my installation hte key file is here: D:\System_ddd\licences\WinStep\Xtreme.wsxkey
  • - I have no idea where Winstep looks for the key file - my file is mentioned only in Recently Used Lists.

How to get my new key-file accepted by Winstep?
It's not nice that the term "license" does not appear on the Help page.

Post subject: Re: New key file not honoured
PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 4:54 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

When you register Winstep software you receive an email with your license key (it's a file, not a serial number, as you know - just saying this to the benefit of others).

In this same email there are instructions on what you need to do to register the software. Normally it's as simple as double clicking the attached license key file - but because some email clients do not play ball with this, we ask the extra step of first saving the attached license key file to a folder in your hard drive.

The license key file extension is associated with the Winstep Key Manager application, which runs when you double click the license key (the same way Notepad runs when you double click a .txt file) and copies it to the proper place.

This proper place is normally (assuming you didn't go around changing the location of the Windows public documents folder, etc...)

C:\Users\Public\Documents\WinStep\Licenses\

When you renew your upgrade subscription, you receive another email with a new license key. This new license key MUST replace the old one. You do this in exactly the same way you first registered the Winstep application: you double click the new license key. The Winstep Key Manager runs and copies the new key to the proper place, replacing the old key.

So, this is how it works normally. Not too complicated, I think.

So, my first question is: did you install the new license key as outlined above?

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 7:18 pm 

Thanks a lot - have obviously not read to the end of the e-mail.
Double clicking the license file did the trick...
Since this happens only once a year - i may forget again. But now I write a comment into the license folder!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 7:25 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Ehehe. Glad it worked out. :)

Profile WWW 

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 4 posts ]