Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 8 posts ]
 Post subject: Thank you
PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 1:08 am 

I'd like to thank Winstep for creating an awesome dock. Previously, I had purchased Stardock's ObjectDock, and that had to many little problems.

All in all, I prefer this dock to every other dock I've ever used. There is one problem though, that quite often, the dock wont popup on mouse hover - I'll have to do it twice. Not a huge issue, but annoying enough to prevent me from purchasing it. Using the free version until that bug is fixed, as it happens commonly on my system.

Thanks Winstep for creating a great dock, and offering a free version - I'm able to test it out and use it, and purchase it when it's ready.

Post subject: Re: Thank you
PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 1:19 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

half-fast wrote:
There is one problem though, that quite often, the dock wont popup on mouse hover - I'll have to do it twice.

Before I ask you any further questions, are you sure you really mean 'pop up on mouse hover' and not 'when I bump the screen edge with the mouse pointer'? Two very different things.

Both features have timing and other settings you could try adjusting.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 9:57 pm 

winstep wrote:
half-fast wrote:
There is one problem though, that quite often, the dock wont popup on mouse hover - I'll have to do it twice.

Before I ask you any further questions, are you sure you really mean 'pop up on mouse hover' and not 'when I bump the screen edge with the mouse pointer'? Two very different things.

Both features have timing and other settings you could try adjusting.

My apologies, you are correct - bump the edge of the screen. I've adjusted the zone to make it larger, and made timing settings shorter, but the dock doesn't pop-up many times. I will tinker some more.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 10:31 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

half-fast wrote:
My apologies, you are correct - bump the edge of the screen. I've adjusted the zone to make it larger, and made timing settings shorter, but the dock doesn't pop-up many times. I will tinker some more.

I've never had the dock fail to respond to an edge bump within the pre-specified parameters. Keep in mind edge bumps will not fire if there is a full screen application running (full-screen, NOT maximized, again two very different things - an example is a full screen Youtube video or a game). This is by design to prevent the dock from accidentally activating while you are running a full screen game, for instance.

Also, you can *swipe* and *bump*, two different actions as well - make sure you're not changing settings for the wrong action.

Perhaps it would be better if you gave detailed examples of where the dock failed to respond to an edge bump?

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 11:11 pm 

winstep wrote:
half-fast wrote:

I've never had the dock fail to respond to an edge bump within the pre-specified parameters. Keep in mind edge bumps will not fire if there is a full screen application running (full-screen, NOT maximized, again two very different things - an example is a full screen Youtube video or a game). This is by design to prevent the dock from accidentally activating while you are running a full screen game, for instance.

Also, you can *swipe* and *bump*, two different actions as well - make sure you're not changing settings for the wrong action.

Perhaps it would be better if you gave detailed examples of where the dock failed to respond to an edge bump?

Thank you. I'm aware of the difference between swipe and bump, and definitely altered the settings for bump, as I saw the difference in popup speed and the difference in the activation zone.

The problem seems to arise when I am looking through a few different windows. I'll have say, a folder open, M$ Image app open and my Steam friends list. After shuffling between them, when I go to "bump" the dock to make it popup, it will not popup. I'll have to go in and bump it a second time. It really wouldnt bother me much, except that I'm always shuffling through windows, and so this non-bump is occurring more than I'd like.

Another thing that is weird is, while moving my mouse over icons in the dock, if I go to the right, all is good, but if I go left, and pass the halfway point, the left side of the dock seems to have some resizing issues, and it jitters and trembles.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 11:28 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

half-fast wrote:
The problem seems to arise when I am looking through a few different windows. I'll have say, a folder open, M$ Image app open and my Steam friends list. After shuffling between them, when I go to "bump" the dock to make it popup, it will not popup. I'll have to go in and bump it a second time. It really wouldnt bother me much, except that I'm always shuffling through windows, and so this non-bump is occurring more than I'd like.

Doesn't pop up even if you keep the mouse pointer 'hugging' the screen edge without moving it?

I know this is a bit of a PITA, but, as it happens again, try to figure out if there is some pattern as to when the dock responds and when it doesn't.

Also, does you mouse/mouse driver have any DPI, etc, settings?

half-fast wrote:
Another thing that is weird is, while moving my mouse over icons in the dock, if I go to the right, all is good, but if I go left, and pass the halfway point, the left side of the dock seems to have some resizing issues, and it jitters and trembles.

Yes, that can happen although it shouldn't be very noticeable (unless you are actually looking for it): the magnification algorithm isn't perfect due to rounding errors.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 11:35 pm 

winstep wrote:
Doesn't pop up even if you keep the mouse pointer 'hugging' the screen edge without moving it?

Correct, it doesnt popup even if I leave it there.

winstep wrote:
I know this is a bit of a PITA, but, as it happens again, try to figure out if there is some pattern as to when the dock responds and when it doesn't.

Ya, I'm working on it. As I stated, to the best of my knowledge it's when I have several windows open and shuffling between them. One thing could be, that one of the Apps I usually have open uses the QT GuiToolkit. I know QT is quite different from most toolkits, especially using the standard Windows API. Could be that.

winstep wrote:
Also, does you mouse/mouse driver have any DPI, etc, settings?

Yes, I use a Logitech G602. Has many DPI settings, etc, most of which I dont ever touch, especially when I'm not in a game. I really don't think that's the problem.

winstep wrote:
Yes, that can happen although it shouldn't be very noticeable (unless you are actually looking for it): the magnification algorithm isn't perfect due to rounding errors.

Ah, nice to know. It isn't the worst, but it's noticeable for me. Is there a higher setting at which rounding the floats/doubles is a little more accurate?

Thanks

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 1:06 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

half-fast wrote:
One thing could be, that one of the Apps I usually have open uses the QT GuiToolkit.

I'm not familiar with QT GUI Toolkit, but if something is 'eating' mouse events that might explain it, yes. But I doubt it.

half-fast wrote:
Has many DPI settings, etc, most of which I dont ever touch, especially when I'm not in a game. I really don't think that's the problem.

Oh, never say never - you would be surprised. :)

For instance, I only became aware how critical a mouse driver can be (and how it can lie to you) when implementing the swipe function.

I saw first hand that what the mouse driver was telling me was happening and what was *actually* happening were very different things, e.g.; : I would make a edge swipe with constant acceleration - the distance traveled by the mouse pointer should more or less double every time I polled it, like this: 1 2 4 8 16 32 etc...

Instead the mouse driver would tell me that the mouse pointer was *hardly* moving for most of the time, and then it would make a couple of really BIG jumps to the final position (we're talking a 10 ms interval here, to put things into perspective). My guess is that the driver interpolates the coordinates sent by the hardware to smooth things out, which is a good thing in most cases. But not for things like this.

Anyway, since we are talking edge bumps here and not swipes, this has nothing to do with the issue at hand, other than a way to point out that things are not always what you expect them to be. :)

half-fast wrote:
Is there a higher setting at which rounding the floats/doubles is a little more accurate?

It's not a question of floating point accuracy, it's that no matter how hard you try you still can't split a pixel in half. :wink: And a pixel going back and forth is enough to give a jittering appearance to the dock.

Anyway, I already have lots of measures in place to minimize this kind of thing, and I believe that under most themes it doesn't even happen. What theme are you using in the dock?

The problem is that the code dealing with the dock magnification, for performance reasons, is anything BUT simple - I have nightmares every time I have to touch it. It could be made simple (or it could have remained that way) but then it would also be TERRIBLY slow. As with most things in life, one has to make choices.

Profile WWW 

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 8 posts ]