Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 8 posts ]
 Post subject: Looking For Nexus Ultimate 16.6
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 5:38 pm 

My main computer HD failed and I had to reinstall everything from scratch... I noticed that I didn't have the latest copy of Nexus Ultimate downloaded and my license expired Sept. 26th (yes, only 4 days before the next version was released...) and only have 15.7 to install. Come on here to only find out there are no previous versions from the current one stored on the official servers. Dong a search just gives me plenty of pirate sites with cracks. I prefer not to try and get 16.6 from any of those sites if possible and am wondering if anyone here still has a copy on the HD that they are will to share with me? Any help will be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

Post subject: Re: Looking For Nexus Ultimate 16.6
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 5:41 pm 

No. We paid for ours.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 5:52 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

As I told you on the other thread, I really don't keep older versions, not even on my own hard drive... but I just noticed you've actually been using Winstep applications for some time, so... check your mail. :)

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 5:52 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Gregory2001 wrote:
No. We paid for ours.

Gregory, that was uncalled for actually. He is a legit customer.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 7:04 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Just wanted to add a couple of remarks:

First and foremost, it is the user's responsibility to keep a backup copy of their software, for obvious reasons. Same goes for the license key (even though we do resend those on request).

This is just common sense: if a company goes bust, for instance, you will need those backups to re-install later.

Also, updates downloaded via the Winstep Update Manager are stored in the

C:\Users\Public\Documents\WinStep\Versions

folder. Those setup files should be backed up too (alternatively the user can simply download the latest full version from the Winstep web site).

Not keeping older versions was never ill will on Winstep's part, although I have to confess very much disliking users running older versions - but only because I really want them to enjoy the latest and greatest!

Honestly, having to say no to a user's request for an older version, the (thankfully) few times it happened, always left me with a sore taste in my mouth. I knew how it would look like: as if I was trying to force them to renew.

The real reason was that all those multi-megabyte setup files took up a lot of disk space, and unfortunately storage quotas were extremely limited until the Winstep web site got moved to a dedicated server earlier this year.

On a personal level I don't keep older versions of the software either, I see no point.

So, the good news is that now that server storage space is no longer a problem, older versions have finally began being archived on the Winstep server and are available on demand. The bad news is that this only started happening with v16.9.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 9:33 pm 

Gregory2001 wrote:
No.

Okay, no problem.

Quote:
We paid for ours.

As did I...

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 9:41 pm 

winstep wrote:
As I told you on the other thread, I really don't keep older versions, not even on my own hard drive...

Understood.

Quote:
...but I just noticed you've actually been using Winstep applications for some time, so... check your mail. :)

Jorge, thank you sir! You didn't have to do that, but seeing that you did makes it so much more appreciated. I do plan on renewing my license, it's just a tough time of the year for me right now but will do so again early next year. Happy Holidays to you and yours!

On a side note. As for keeping a latest version for backup purposes, I do this, unfortunately, with my recent HD failures (it was actually two, my main SSD drive and one of my back up HD drives) due to a storm and a dead battery backup (I know, great timing, right?...) I lost tons of files and backups... My other backup drive only had the earlier 15.7 version on it instead of the 16.6 that I was using previously. Learned a valuable lesson about replacing backup batteries as soon as they are needed!!!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 9:41 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

it's just a tough time of the year for me right now but will do so again early next year. Happy Holidays to you and yours!

I know what you mean. Thanks, and to you and yours too. :)

On a side note. As for keeping a latest version for backup purposes, I do this, unfortunately, with my recent HD failures (it was actually two, my main SSD drive and one of my back up HD drives) due to a storm and a dead battery backup (I know, great timing, right?...) I lost tons of files and backups...

Sorry to hear about that, Murphy's law you'll get you every single time.

I'm a sucker for backups too, but the one time I did loose some data was when the backup hard drive had gone for warranty replacement and I was waiting for it to get back... that's when the main hard drive decided to kick the bucket! I mean, what are the odds?!

According to Murphy, nearly 100%. :wink: :)

Profile WWW 

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 8 posts ]