Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 3 posts ]
 Post subject: First Impressions
PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 11:42 am 

Hello all
Just purchased Nexus Ultimate as replacement for RocketDock because of problems with picking up 64-bit programs in stacks. So far, I am quite impressed. I do, however, have one or two niggles.
'Bump' on screen does not always work first time, sometimes have to bump 2 or 3 times for dock to appear.
Same with clicking on sub-dock buttons, again sometimes takes 2 or 3 times before the sub-dock opens. Also may take 10-15 seconds for icons to start to show.
Had one occasion where dock seemed to hang, although running, the dock itself disappeared from the screen, leaving a white patch where it was. Also seemed to leave 'smears' of white on the screen. Only happened once, so probably a temporary glitch.
Sub-docks I find good up to about 10-12 items if the icon size is reduced, but personally find them rather ugly and awkward when it comes to sub-docks of sub-docks. I also found in the forums a suggestion to either set a folder of shortcuts and add it to the dock or drag and drop shortcuts to a sub-dock. These, however, lead to the same problems ie. not 'picking up' some 64-bit programs in Program Files or if more than 10-12 items making the sub-dock look very unattractive (my personal view) and needing scrolling if too many items.
Big problem from my point of view is lack of stacks. I have tried shelves and do not like them, same with sub-docks of sub-docks. I tried using StandaloneStack 2 but this has the same problem as RocketDock, finding some programs in Program Files. Also when a StandaloneStack is closed it still leaves an instance of the StandaloneStack program running. There is one instance for each time a Standalone stack is opened. I noticed from the forum that this bemoaning the lack of stacks has been mentioned as far back as 2010.
Eventually, I settled on folders of shortcuts set to show as menu on clicking.
Overall, apart from these niggles I am impressed, seems to work very well. Good piece of software, worth paying for.

Post subject: Re: First Impressions
PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 3:47 pm 

The thing about moving from one program to another, especially when it comes to GUI, is like ditching an old girlfriend for a new one. Sure, there are reasons why you ditched the old one, but often you'll find yourself whining to the new one that she doesn't do the things you liked about the old girlfriend the way she used to.
I think it's a bit of the same here: you're used to how things were done with RocketDock and/or Standalone Stacks, so you don't like or can't get used to the way Nexus does things. As you said, "the big problem is the lack of stacks".
Now, I don't know if Jorge intends on ever implementing "stacks" functionality, I don't even know *how* you used the Standalone Stacks, but I think that you'd be better off and happier if you just gave Nexus a chance and used its own -- admittedly -- good features as they were meant to work, rather than trying to get Nexus to work like "Standalone Stacks".
It's got the shelf with tabs, these can also contain sub-docks, and, at least as far as I'm concerned (note, there are lots of others that have different usage patterns), the docks and shelf are not a replacement for the Windows Explorer. I've never found any reason to create more than a few (less than 10) docks and subdocks, and never have I ever used a third-level dock (subdock in a subdock).
So... there!
Welcome aboard!

Profile WWWYIMICQ 

Post subject: Re: First Impressions
PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 5:31 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

scbs29 wrote:
'Bump' on screen does not always work first time, sometimes have to bump 2 or 3 times for dock to appear.

Not sure if you noticed it already or not, but there are LOTS of settings to personalize how edge bumps work (Preferences -> General tab -> Edge Bump Settings).

This is one case where you will never be able to please everybody. Some people want the dock to activate as quickly as possible, others get annoyed if it activates too quickly because this increases the chance of accidental edge bumps.

The default is a rather modest middle ground (which in turn makes other people sometimes incorrectly assume Nexus is slow because it is not responding immediately to an edge bump). One just can't win on this one. :)

scbs29 wrote:
Same with clicking on sub-dock buttons, again sometimes takes 2 or 3 times before the sub-dock opens. Also may take 10-15 seconds for icons to start to show. Had one occasion where dock seemed to hang, although running, the dock itself disappeared from the screen, leaving a white patch where it was.

You know what I think? I think that you either

a) Added shortcuts to the dock pointing to networked drives

or

b) Added shortcuts to the dock that point to disk drives that stop spinning after a while

or

c) Both.

I suggest you read THIS THREAD for an explanation of what might be happening and why.

scbs29 wrote:
drag and drop shortcuts to a sub-dock. These, however, lead to the same problems ie. not 'picking up' some 64-bit programs in Program Files

Hmmm, this might be because of a new bug in v16.12 which I was only made aware of (and fixed) today. Read THIS THREAD.

scbs29 wrote:
Big problem from my point of view is lack of stacks. I have tried shelves and do not like them, same with sub-docks of sub-docks.

I can understand nested sub-docks, but the Shelf? I'm with Skagon on this one. The Shelf is great for categorizing applications.

scbs29 wrote:
Overall, apart from these niggles I am impressed, seems to work very well. Good piece of software, worth paying for.

Thanks! :)

Profile WWW 

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 3 posts ]