Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 137 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: So, what's next after v16.12?
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 9:08 pm 

seeker wrote:
i did notice one thing, the transparency setting seems bugged
if i try to increase opacity of the icons that were previously semi-transparent it has no effect
i can make them more transparent, and then opaque back to the level they were before
(ie, my icons are 50% transparent. if i slide transparency anywhere from 50 to 100% it has effect, but if i try to set it between 0 and 50 nothing changes)
happens with both docks and sub-docks

thought of something, and tested, the docks in question have fade in mouse-over effect set, and if i turn it of the icons become opaque per docks settings so it could be intended behaviour

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 10:00 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

seeker wrote:
seems to work good, although it increases the distance between the dock and sub-dcok so i prefer to have it disabled

It has to, otherwise the magnified icon of the parent dock would/could overlap icons you're trying to get to on the sub-dock. :)

seeker wrote:
thought of something, and tested, the docks in question have fade in mouse-over effect set, and if i turn it of the icons become opaque per docks settings so it could be intended behaviour

Yeah, if you mix two transparency based effects, you're going to get weird results. :)

As for the other issue, strange, have to test that here. You're not using any themes for those desktop modules, right?

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 10:26 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Ah, and btw, how did the upgrade go? Think it's easier/quicker now that the setup wizard no longer pops up or that's pretty much irrelevant?

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 2:39 am 

Hi Jorge!

The update went by so fast I thought it had failed! Much better than waiting for the whole installment thing!

New weekly event seems to work. Doesn't show up throughout the calendar (IE: if I set every two weeks, I can see it on the first date and in the settings but if I go to the next month it isn't there.) Maybe that's how it works but I'm used to Rainlendar, which adds the event to all the days in the calendar.

I am going to like the new sub-docks having their own settings thing too! Played with it a bit and will use soon.

The Moon Phase module is cool too!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 3:14 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

DanDaBear wrote:
The update went by so fast I thought it had failed! Much better than waiting for the whole installment thing!

Yeah, problem is that it did not automatically restart the application as it should have (luckily Skagon warned me about this)! That's actually why you thought it had failed - Skagon thought it had crashed.

If you remember, when using the Wizard at the end of Setup there is a checkbox *enabled by default* that says 'Launch Winstep Xtreme'. Setup should have done this automatically now too, but it didn't because, for God knows what reason, I had a flag in the setup script that prevented it from doing so if Setup was running in Silent mode. That flag has been there since forever, and I have no idea why I added it in the first place lol.

This is why I wanted you guys to test the new setup model.

Anyway, I fixed it now, thanks for the feedback.

DanDaBear wrote:
New weekly event seems to work. Doesn't show up throughout the calendar (IE: if I set every two weeks, I can see it on the first date and in the settings but if I go to the next month it isn't there.) Maybe that's how it works but I'm used to Rainlendar, which adds the event to all the days in the calendar.

Ah-ah! VERY GLAD you mentioned this, it was actually one of my doubts when I first made the calendar.

I opted for only showing in the calendar the *next time* an event will run, but not any subsequent events caused by repetition of the same alarm.

Guys, what is your opinion on this?

My reasoning for making that choice was: if I have an alarm set to run every day (and you can easily add something like that, to perform some functional task like backing up settings, for instance) then showing events in the calendar becomes useless because the daily event would mark *every single day*!

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 11:42 am 

winstep wrote:
As for the other issue, strange, have to test that here. You're not using any themes for those desktop modules, right?

No, both modules are using the default histogram background for icon, no themes

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 4:22 pm 

winstep wrote:
For those Winstep Xtreme users who installed the previous beta, please let me know how the Winstep Update Manager handled this new beta.

Huh? I've enabled "inform me about beta versions", but nothing happens when clicking on "search for updates".
Did I miss something? I'm running v17.1. Updates until november 2017.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 4:26 pm 

toniostarcevic wrote:
winstep wrote:
For those Winstep Xtreme users who installed the previous beta, please let me know how the Winstep Update Manager handled this new beta.

Huh? I've enabled "inform me about beta versions", but nothing happens when clicking on "search for updates".

http://prntscr.com/dyvt10

these are curent version numbers for beta

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 4:27 pm 

Don't normally get 'beta' but one has just arrived, and it says download time 13 mins! Probably took about five mins, normal update is never more than 15 secs. I am on fast broadband.

Thrown my monitor settings out, now have huge icons, doing a computer restart

Edit
Its asking me to download again! 13.98 mb

That's better, downloaded and installed without restart. Desktop back to normal.

Last edited by divingbrit on Sun Jan 22, 2017 4:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 4:30 pm 

seeker wrote:
toniostarcevic wrote:
winstep wrote:

http://prntscr.com/dyvt10

these are curent version numbers for beta

My version is 17.01.1205... :(

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 4:35 pm 

Suddenly works! Just got the update notification. With a few minutes of delay, strangely.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 5:15 pm 

toniostarcevic wrote:
Suddenly works! Just got the update notification. With a few minutes of delay, strangely.

maybe the servers got overloaded

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 5:24 pm 

Just upgraded from 17.01.1205 to 17.01.1210. Didn't notice any difference when upgrading. Worked just like the last few times: A window popped up with the version information. When clicking upgrade, I got promted to quit Workshelf to continue. Then I had to confirm an UAC prompt and from there it installed and restarted Workshelf automatically. Were there more steps before? :?:

About the magnification - I find it much better now. I don't see any downside of having the sub-dock a bit higher.
Absolutely don't want the old behavior back. It's so much smoother now, when using sub-docks a lot.

The custom settings are also great. As already mentioned, a floating, non-attached leopard background looks quite strange. Much better to have individual settings.

It's especially great for having different icon sizes! Finally I can make properly detailed icons for my monitor profiles sub-dock! I have 4 monitors and have configured about 10 different layouts for them, like "TV + Monitor 1 Clone Mode", "Monitor 1 + Monitor 2 Extended mode" and so on. (I use the third party app "Display Fusion" - with this you can create shortcuts that directly launch monitor profiles)

Until now I had to make very minimalistic, hard to recognize icons to represent the various monitor layouts:

Now I can have bigger icons only for this sub-dock. I'll make some more detailed icons for the profiles right away!

Awesome update!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 7:51 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

toniostarcevic wrote:
Just upgraded from 17.01.1205 to 17.01.1210. Didn't notice any difference when upgrading. Worked just like the last few times: A window popped up with the version information. When clicking upgrade, I got promted to quit Workshelf to continue. Then I had to confirm an UAC prompt and from there it installed and restarted Workshelf automatically. Were there more steps before? :?:

The no-restart problem I mentioned above was a glitch on the setup script itself, not the Update Manager, I removed the flag causing it, re-compiled the script and re-uploaded the beta a few hours ago when I was made aware of the issue. You probably got the fixed version already, which is why Winstep Xtreme restarted after setup finished installing the update.

Anyway, before it was like this: Update Notification -> Downloading -> Winstep application exits -> UAC Prompt to run Setup -> Setup Wizard asking what language to run on -> Setup Wizard main dialog confirming you want to install the update -> Setup Progress bar as it installs -> Final Setup Wizard page -> Setup exits and the update Winstep application restarts.

Now it's like this: Update Notification -> Downloading -> Winstep application exits -> UAC Prompt to run Setup -> Setup Progress bar as it installs -> Setup exits and the update Winstep application restarts.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 8:17 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

By the way, there is a small 'Easter Egg' in the Moon calendar dialog. An hidden piece of functionality.

Kudos will go to the first one that figures it out. :)

Profile WWW 

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 137 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 10  Next