Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 137 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: So, what's next after v16.12?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:58 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

skagon wrote:
You're already staring at it...

Hehehe. Nice clue. :)

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 6:48 pm 

You have no clue for how long I've already stared at the moon, the background, and every other single element, searching for any unusual pattern, color or shape.
Maybe It's too obvious... However, since I have no idea what I'm looking for, I'm 100% sure that I won't find it.
Just waiting for the reveal. :)

Last edited by toniostarcevic on Wed Jan 25, 2017 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:02 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

It's not something you see, it's something you (can) do. :)

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:03 pm 

So what exactly do you think you'll find just staring at the bloody thing?
:lol:

Profile WWWYIMICQ 

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:39 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Yeah. He could always stare at something else. :)

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 3:00 pm 

It has several nice functions - but I have no idea which of them could be the easter egg. I find them all rather equal. Don't have much experience with moon phase stuff, never used something like that so far. I find all features fitting, however. Maybe I'm too dainty, haha. ^^

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:29 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Chuck wrote:
For the record, I'm way more interested in the space reservation than the separate taskbars. 8)

Chuck, I added this in the last beta but didn't see any comment from you regarding the new feature. Is it what you wanted? Is it working properly?

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:30 pm 

winstep wrote:
Chuck wrote:
For the record, I'm way more interested in the space reservation than the separate taskbars. 8)

Chuck, I added this in the last beta but didn't see any comment from you regarding the new feature. Is it what you wanted? Is it working properly?

Jorge, have been preoccupied and haven't had a chance to download/mess with it yet. Will do so this weekend and get back to you.

Cheers!

Chuck

Chuck

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:53 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

And v17.1 is officially released. :)

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 12:27 pm 

winstep wrote:
Chuck wrote:

Jorge,

just downloaded. It's exactly what I wanted and works as expected so long as you don't disconnect the second monitor. It appears NextStart dumps the saved settings once the monitor is disconnected. If I remember correctly, you mentioned this possibility previously.

Otherwise, very happy with this particular option! Thank you!

Chuck

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 12:38 pm 

Jorge, I just had an idea. What do you think of a module to show/hide specific docks or expand/collapse the shelf?
Example: a small dock in the corner of the screen, that has 3 of this modules, to:
-show/hide dock 1 (bottom)
-show/hide dock 2 (right)
-expand/collapse shelf (top)

You just click on them to toggle the function. Ideally you would set this dock to "always-on-top" and choose a size and position that doesn't disturb you.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 2:12 pm 

toniostarcevic wrote:

You just click on them to toggle the function. Ideally you would set this dock to "always-on-top" and choose a size and position that doesn't disturb you.

problem with always on top is that would overlap with some/most full screen apps
(games, videos)

but this reminds me of something that has bothered me a while back, you can have keyboard shortcuts to hide/show modules and docks, but each one has to be different, if you try to have one shortcut that would hide several/all docks at once (if you set the same shortcut for more than one dock) it doesn't work

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:47 am 

seeker wrote:
toniostarcevic wrote:

problem with always on top is that would overlap with some/most full screen apps
(games, videos)

but this reminds me of something that has bothered me a while back, you can have keyboard shortcuts to hide/show modules and docks, but each one has to be different, if you try to have one shortcut that would hide several/all docks at once (if you set the same shortcut for more than one dock) it doesn't work

Always on top normally doesn't overlap with full screen apps. I've used several apps that can enable this on specific windows - they never were on top of a full screen application. I think full screen is always the highest in the z-order. (would be logical - you can't have more than one app in full screen after all)

Always on top can be disturbing, but in this case, it's just some small buttons. You could make them 32 or 16 pixels in size. Shouldn't be too hard to find a spot where they doesn't disturb you in everyday work. The benefit would be, that you can bring a dock to foreground when you have multiple monitors activated and the border, where you would normally bring the dock to foreground, isn't present anymore. (because you move to the next screen through that border)
And keyboard shortcuts - nah. Every developer loves and recommends keyboard shortcuts. But if I'd use them for all of my tools and programs, I would have to remember dozens of them.
They are essential in specific programs - but controlling your whole computer with them is very uncomfortable imo. I find categorized docks and shelfs much, much better.

About toggling serveral docks at once, you could make this available in the module settings of the module I've just suggested.

Another suggestion - yes, I've already mentioned this... I mean only if you have time for it - more features for the system tray part. Especially hiding single tray items.
(always show all tray items - then hiding the ones you don't use regularly)
I can imagine that working on the tray part of Windows isn't fun at all. Considering how messy the tray behavior generally is in Windows.
But you've still managed to get an almost perfectly working icon customization system. (which hopefully will remain in future versions)
It would be great if you finally could really make a custom tray area.
Not only the same as in the task bar, or all.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:53 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

toniostarcevic wrote:

You can already. Windows already controls which tray icons are shown, so there was no point re-inventing the wheel. Just use Window's built-in tools for choosing which tray icons are visible by default.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:59 am 

winstep wrote:
toniostarcevic wrote:

You can already. Windows already controls which tray icons are shown, so there was no point re-inventing the wheel. Just use Window's built-in tools for choosing which tray icons are visible by default.

That's the same answer you gave me the last time. :cry:
It's not the same - you have the icons twice. They consume space in the task bar for no reason. Since you already have them in the dock.
You can only hide them in the task bar and choose "all" in Nexus. But that's far from a proper solution - all is way to much. Some of them are just services...

Edit:
Btw. there are more than 20 tray icons on my system. I would only need 7 of them for regular use. These 7 icons consume almost 10% of the task bar. Enough space for an additional program before Windows starts to group them.

Right now I've made an extra dock for them and have set it to always show all. It's still better than having double icons and wasting task bar space. But it's so messy...
I'd like to just drag the icons that I don't use out of that dock, to remove them. Just like with any other dock item.

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 137 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next