Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 7 posts ]
 Post subject: Where are "Nexus Ultimate" configuration file(s)?
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:51 am 

I just did a fresh Win10 and Nexus Ultimate install but I'd like to recover all of my Nexus settings from my old disk rather than having to set everything up again. Where are these configuration files and can I simply copy them onto the new disk? Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Where are "Nexus Ultimate" configuration file(s)?
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 3:33 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Alas, you should have made a simple backup of your Nexus settings (Preferences -> Advanced tab -> Backup) *before* the clean install. This way all your settings would have been in a file and could have been easily recovered.

Nexus stores its settings in the Windows Registry.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:04 pm 

I would like to know the answer to this question as well. Yes, we should've made a backup, but that does not answer the question. Sometimes things happen and backups can be damaged or lost. In my case, I made a backup and I just cannot find it. So it would be great to know how to recover the configuration. If it is in the registry, which registry keys? Thanks.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:56 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I don't mind at all replying to your question, but your justification for wanting to know makes no sense to me, sorry. :P

If you can't find your backup, make a new one. It will hold an exact copy of what is in the Windows Registry.

If, on the other hand, you're trying to get at the settings after 'something happening' and you don't have a backup, then you are already too late. Settings in the Registry are normally up-to-date with the application settings, so, if you messed those up, delving into the Registry is not going to help you.

Anyway, settings are stored under

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\WinSTEP2000

Whatever you do, do NOT edit/change those settings directly!! There is no parameter validation for the settings in the registry, unlike what happens when changing them via the UI.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:27 pm 

Thanks for the registry location, but I had already found it by searching the registry myself. I'm sorry that my justification for wanting to know does not make sense to you, but that may be because you are not aware of the details, so allow me to explain:

- My hard drive running Windows 7 crashed.
- I had a backup program continuously running in my PC which backups to offsite location.
- I installed a new hard drive and installed Windows 10
- I mounted my HDD backup so I can begin to restore my files.
- I noticed my Winstep dock backup was not where I expected it to be (C:\Users\Public\Documents\Winstep\Backup), so I looked in several of my USB drives where I had other backups but I could not find them.
- In search for an alternate method to recover my dock configration, I came here to ask and I found that the configuration must be in the registry. Therefore, I went to my HDD backup and recovered my registry hive files, since the backup software can go back in time as most of them do.
- By opening the SOFTWARE hive that I recovered from backup in regedit, I am able to look at the original dock configuration I had in Windows 7 and rebuild from there. Saved me some time rather than trying to remember all dock icons I had before.

Thanks.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:00 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

mveras1972 wrote:
I'm sorry that my justification for wanting to know does not make sense to you, but that may be because you are not aware of the details, so allow me to explain

My turn to apologize, then. I misunderstood why you wanted to know - glad you managed to get your dock configuration back. :)

I just don't want users messing around with Winstep settings in the Registry and changing values without really knowing what they are doing.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 10:05 am 

winstep wrote:
I don't mind at all replying to your question, but your justification for wanting to know makes no sense to me, sorry. :P

If you can't find your backup, make a new one. It will hold an exact copy of what is in the Windows Registry.

If, on the other hand, you're trying to get at the settings after 'something happening' and you don't have a backup, then you are already too late. Settings in the Registry are normally up-to-date with the application settings, so, if you messed those up, delving into the Registry is not going to help you.

Anyway, settings are stored under

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\WinSTEP2000

Whatever you do, do NOT edit/change those settings directly!! There is no parameter validation for the settings in the registry, unlike what happens when changing them via the UI.

Thanks so much for this info. I was having a hell of a time recreating my dock just how I liked it. Just had to tweak a few files paths.

This should be added to the backup/restore feature instead of only backing up the settings. It's already creating all of the keys, I'd think it'd be simple to save/restore them. Anyway, thanks!

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 7 posts ]