Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 7 posts ]
 Post subject: How uninstall Winstep Nexus silently?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:24 am 

I don't can uninstall Winstep Nexus free version quietly. For Winstep Nexus use Inno Setup installer, but this command not worked for me:
Code:
$ unins000.exe /VERYSILENT /SUPPRESSMSGBOXES /NORESTART /SP-

Thanks.

Post subject: Re: How uninstall Winstep Nexus silently?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:46 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

First an obvious question: why would you want to uninstall Nexus silently or write a script to do it for you?

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:22 am 

winstep wrote:
First an obvious question: why would you want to uninstall Nexus silently or write a script to do it for you?

@winstep, I want to add free version of Winstep Nexus in Chocolatey package manager for Windows. See my previous forum post. But for Chocolatey we need silent uninstalling. It's desirable, if without third-party scripts: see answer of my question from Chocolatey owner in Stack Overflow.

See my Winstep Nexus Chocolatey package. In my package Everything works except quietly uninstalling.

If you interested in taking over the package, you may to create a package for your software without me. Please, read «I want to take over/help with package maintenance for my software».

Thanks.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:57 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Ok. The reason it's not working is because there are two prompts that do NOT come from the InnoSetup uninstaller.

When Winstep is being uninstalled, the InnoSetup uninstaller first calls the Nexus executable with a special uninstall switch. The application then prompts the user if he wants to a) remove Nexus settings from the Registry and b) remove everything included the themes folder (which obviously has stuff the InnoSetup uninstaller would leave behind because many themes are manually installed by the user later). It's the application itself that takes care of these things, not InnoSetup.

These two prompts are obviously VERY important because the user might not want his Nexus settings deleted, or all his themes suddenly gone while he uninstalls and then re-installs.

Now, the question is: are you trying to silently uninstall in order to update the application? I'm not familiar with Chocolatey and what it does, that's why I'm asking.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:39 pm 

winstep wrote:
Now, the question is: are you trying to silently uninstall in order to update the application? I'm not familiar with Chocolatey and what it does, that's why I'm asking.

Add your program in Chocolatey you will greatly facilitate use of Winstep Nexus for your users.

Benefits:

1. Quick installation of applications. Users need only print in preferable terminal a command cinst winstep-nexus -y.
  2. Users don't need to upgrade each program separately. Even if users have thousands programs, enough print in terminal cup all -y.
  3. If user reinstall Windows or migrate to other Windows version or begin to use other computer, user can quickly reinstall all programs, which he enjoyed. User can get list of commands use choco list and then install programs cinst program1 winstep-nexus program3.
  4. Quietly installing, update and removing of applications.

Maybe you add silent uninstallation feature in next version of Windows Nexus?

Thanks.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 3:04 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

What I was asking is: when users update the applications with the cup command, does Chocolatey uninstall the previous version first (and is that why you are asking me for a silent uninstall)?

There are other issues too: does Chocolatey download the update from the developer's web site or from a central repository? If from a central repository, who does version control? If from the developers web site, then how would it know when to install a smaller update file vs the full setup?

Because if it always goes for the full setup when smaller updates are available, it will be wasting a ton of bandwidth - which the developer has to pay for.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:53 pm 

@winstep, I can answer you, but I not 100% sure, that my answers are correct. I'm not Chocolatey employee. Maybe will be better, if you ask Chocolatey developers in official Chocolatey Gitter chat? They usually respond quickly.

And, please, see packages list. For many and many most popular gratis programs for Windows is a Chocolatey packages. If for applications owners there were some serious problems about which you say, is unlikely to be such many software have been Chocolatey packages.

Thanks.

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 7 posts ]