Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 3 posts ]
 Post subject: Frozen return from Sleep Question
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:49 pm 

Hi!

I love WinStep XTreme but I've noticed when my computer returns from sleep mode 'Strange Things Happen'™. The workbench will now be about 20-30 pixels (or so) from the upper edge, the dock will frequently (but not always) show up about the same number of pixels lower (it's docked to the bottom of my screen, so taskbar covers it up) and all of them (workbench, dock and dock-lets - weather, cpu and network) will be 'frozen' (i.e., clicking on them does nothing and nothing updates). When checking Task Manager, Workshelf (32-bit) will be actively consuming between 10 and 15% of CPU (fluctuating, so it IS working but I haven't dug in enough to try to figure out what it's doing). 'End Task' and re-start seems to clear it up but if I wait long enough, it will crash on its own. Should I not be using sleep mode?

Post subject: Re: Frozen return from Sleep Question
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:41 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Yes you should use Sleep mode.

I use it here on my other computers without experiencing any problems with Winstep applications.

What version of Winstep Xtreme are you running?

I'm asking this because *a long time ago* there was indeed a problem with the multimedia timers Winstep uses for the animations: after returning from sleep, the multimedia timers would fire constantly to make up for the times they did not fire while the system was sleeping. This, of course, overwhelmed the application and maxed out its CPU usage, making it seem frozen until the timers 'caught up'. The longer the system had spent sleeping, the longer it took for the application to become responsive again.

And by the way, 13-15% CPU usage on a four core CPU with hyper threading (4 physical + 4 virtual) is equivalent to 100% usage of a single CPU core (i.e.; 100/8 cores = 12.5%, rounded to 13% the application is maxing out a core).

Anyway, as I said, this issue with sleep/hibernation and the MM timers was solved a long time ago - now when the application receives a message that the system is about to enter a low power state, it turns off the timer - and turns it back on again when the system signals it that it has returned from the low power state.

Now, the odd thing in there is WorkShelf moving those 20-30 pixels. Looks like something (perhaps a 3rd party application?) changes the display workarea when returning from sleep.

What happens if you put the system to sleep for 5 minutes (or even less than that) and wake it up again?

Profile WWW 

Post subject: Re: Frozen return from Sleep Question
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:36 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

By the way, is your computer a Surface Pro 4?

Profile WWW 

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 3 posts ]