Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 7 posts ]
 Post subject: Enlarge Icons and Save Theme
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 9:04 pm 

I just downloaded the Nexus free to try it out. I had ObjectDock for nine years. I was thinking of buying Nexus Ultimate and ditching ObjectDock for one major reason - the inability to save the dock theme without going through a bunch of steps just to save it. It would be nice to have a -SAVE THEME AS- button to click and just type a name and that's it. ObjectDock 1.9 had it and their 2.0 version is more like an ordeal to save it now. It was a deal breaker for me as I change docks, icons, windowblinds, themes, wallpaper,and widgets etc quite often. I want to save icons in one step so I can pop them back up there. from a list easily. Nexus is a LITTLE easier but...! Am I misinformed? Is there an easy way to save the icons and dpck as a theme or background or anything? Also make a way to enlarge icons without enlarging the dock. By the time I get the icons large enough to see good, the dock is so huge that it looks silly being that big. If there is already a way then please let me know. These are the only things holding me back from buying it!!!

Post subject: Re: Enlarge Icons and Save Theme
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 9:57 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

S10Kitty wrote:
I just downloaded the Nexus free to try it out. I had ObjectDock for nine years. I was thinking of buying Nexus Ultimate and ditching ObjectDock for one major reason - the inability to save the dock theme without going through a bunch of steps just to save it. It would be nice to have a -SAVE THEME AS- button to click and just type a name and that's it. ObjectDock 1.9 had it and their 2.0 version is more like an ordeal to save it now. It was a deal breaker for me. I want to save icons in one step so I can pop them back up there . from the list easily. Nexus is a LITTLE easier but...!

Hi Kitty... not sure I understand. You want a way to back-up the current theme, including all the icons in your dock, is that it? Or something else?

S10Kitty wrote:
Also make a way to enlarge icons without enlarging the dock. By the time I get the icons large enough to see good, the dock is so huge that it looks silly being that big. If there is already a way then please let me know. These are the only things holding me back from buying it!!!

But... the dock background is a 'container' to the the icons in it. If you enlarge the icons, the container must grow bigger too... unless I'm again not understanding what you mean (sorry if that is the case).

Some dock skins/themes have huge backgrounds, that's true, because whomever did that background wanted it that way. In those cases, simply use a different, 'tighter', skin/background.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 1:30 am 

In ObjectDock you can Package files,import a package,go to image library (a place to store all the artwork you use with ObjectDock), load a previous saved or used dock or save current dock. Yes I am talking about saving a dock and the icons I have put on it - as a package. Then I can just go to a list and select that dock and icons again. I don't always use the sample icons. I have a set of aqua icons and like to use it with a particular aqua dock. I don't want to have to change each icon every time I switch docks. Just like you said, back up or save the current theme including icons and dock!! Thanks for your quick reply.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 2:05 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Ok, then it should be as easy as:

1. Open Preferences.
2. Switch to the Advanced tab.
3. Click the Backup button and give your backup file a relevant name.

You can later restore your *exact* configuration at that *exact* point via the Restore button.

However, understand that if you later make changes to your dock(s), those changes will be lost if you Restore from a previous backup file.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 3:15 am 

Great! Thank you! That is just what I needed to know.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 11:55 am 

winstep wrote:
Ok, then it should be as easy as:

1. Open Preferences.
2. Switch to the Advanced tab.
3. Click the Backup button and give your backup file a relevant name.

You can later restore your *exact* configuration at that *exact* point via the Restore button.

However, understand that if you later make changes to your dock(s), those changes will be lost if you Restore from a previous backup file.

There are also Shortcuts to Backup/Restore/Auto-Backup(One click backup with auto generated name) you can place on your dock/workshelf, although i don't know if they are available in free version

Right click Dock ->
http://prntscr.com/dyszyb

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 7:23 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

seeker wrote:
There are also Shortcuts to Backup/Restore/Auto-Backup(One click backup with auto generated name) you can place on your dock/workshelf, although i don't know if they are available in free version

They are. :)

Profile WWW 

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 7 posts ]