Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 7 posts ]
 Post subject: 2 Bugs found: UWP/Metro Apps & Start-Button
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:19 am 

Hi Jorge,

thanks for the free version of your dock all the energy you put in it. I use the 16.12 on Windows 10 1607.

1. When I use a UWP App on multiple Desktops, the Icon of the active App is only shown when the actual desktop is active. I use Nexus as a taskbar replacement and when I switch to another desktop, the UWP App is hidden in the dock, only switching back to the desktop with the App, it is showing again.

2. I tried to make myself an alternativ startbutton, because I often use touch only. So I added "Insert new dock item > internal command > desktop > startmenu" and get a windows-flag-icon. But it´s not doing anything.

3. Just a tiny wish from me, I would love to have an option to hide the automatic separator between the modules/commands/links and the active tasks, if possible.

Thanks for your time,
Daniel

Post subject: Re: 2 Bugs found: UWP/Metro Apps & Start-Button
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:54 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hi Daniel! Apologies for the late reply.

chromax wrote:
1. When I use a UWP App on multiple Desktops, the Icon of the active App is only shown when the actual desktop is active. I use Nexus as a taskbar replacement and when I switch to another desktop, the UWP App is hidden in the dock, only switching back to the desktop with the App, it is showing again.

That's not a bug, the Windows taskbar does the same thing.

At most you can call that inconsistent behavior, because while both UWP apps and Win32 applications belonging to a different desktop disappear from the Windows taskbar, with Nexus the Win32 applications remain, only the UWP apps disappear.

Any possible 'fix' would imply making behavior consistent with that of the Windows taskbar, i.e.; the opposite of what you want: both UWP and Win32 apps not belonging to that desktop would disappear from the dock.

What you would like to see cannot be done, due to the way Windows separates UWP apps from their Win32 container windows when they are not running/are not visible.

chromax wrote:
2. I tried to make myself an alternativ startbutton, because I often use touch only. So I added "Insert new dock item > internal command > desktop > startmenu" and get a windows-flag-icon. But it´s not doing anything.

Is the WIN key in your keyboard enabled? What happens when you press the WIN key?

Also, what happens if you add the 'Action Center' and 'Search' internal commands to the dock?

chromax wrote:
3. Just a tiny wish from me, I would love to have an option to hide the automatic separator between the modules/commands/links and the active tasks, if possible.

But then how would you know where the 'normal' dock side ends and the 'running applications' side starts? Each half of the dock has very different behaviors.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:44 am 

Hi, no problem.

1. Just to be clear. For the windows taskbar, I can activate the option that all applications (Win32/UWP) on all desktops are showed in the taskbar and a click jumps to the desktop. I just wanted the same behavior.

2. I don´t have a keyboard attached normally, but when, the WIN Key opens the startmenu like expected. When I set a search or action center command in nexus, it works. Just start not. On your system not?

3. I would suggest, that the normal behavior of the separator is like now. But experienced users could remove it with a right click context option. To visually separate it, I would use for me a special icon. Like a minimalistic triangle on transparent background or simply a blank icon.

Thanks for the reply.
Daniel

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:52 am 

chromax wrote:
Hi, no problem.

1. Just to be clear. For the windows taskbar, I can activate the option that all applications (Win32/UWP) on all desktops are showed in the taskbar and a click jumps to the desktop. I just wanted the same behavior.

yes i wanted to write something but wasn't sure and i'm not running w 10 anymore, but i remember that option and it was really useful to be able to automatically switch to application no matter what desktop its running on

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:27 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

chromax wrote:

Where are you seeing that option?

On my Windows 10 machine I see multi-monitor options for the taskbar that allow you to show a taskbar on a monitor or all buttons on all taskbars, but I see nothing related to multiple desktops.

Anyway, I'm not being difficult. If that option does exist somewhere and is enabled there - but still you're not seeing the UWP apps in other monitors in the dock - then there is probably very little I can do (but I will look deeper into this as soon as I can).

Microsoft has broken all the rules with the UWP apps, they behave very differently from Win32 applications. Microsoft doesn't care about 3rd party extenders either, it's their turf and they want to keep it that way. So, they provided no direct means for 3rd party applications to know what a UWP app is up to - the Windows taskbar, on the other hand, obviously knows everything it needs to know, so it is able to do whatever.

That Nexus is able to handle UWP apps as well as it does now is almost a small miracle, as they have to be handled internally in a very different way from Win32 applications. If you don't, you get the invisible icons that appear in the non-Windows 10 compatible docks such as RocketDock and ObjectDock.

chromax wrote:
2. I don´t have a keyboard attached normally, but when, the WIN Key opens the startmenu like expected. When I set a search or action center command in nexus, it works. Just start not. On your system not?

If Search and Action Center are working, so should the Start Menu internal command (IC). The Start Menu IC works by programatically pressing the WIN key, for instance. Can't get any more simpler than that.

Also, I tried it here on my Windows 10 machine and it is indeed working as intended.

chromax wrote:
3. I would suggest, that the normal behavior of the separator is like now. But experienced users could remove it with a right click context option. To visually separate it, I would use for me a special icon. Like a minimalistic triangle on transparent background or simply a blank icon.

Locate the folder of dock theme you are using and add a 'nxsep.png' bitmap to it.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 1:27 pm 

Hi,

sorry for the late reply.

1. This option is a little hard to find...

2. OK thanks for that option. Maybe I can find whats wrong my system. If nothing work, I will link to an autohotkey-script.

3. Thanks, that was a good hint.

Bye,
Daniel

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:15 am 

To #1

Will there be an update regarding this?
Is it a big thing to show every app running on every desktop, UWA or Win32?

Thanks for reply.

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 7 posts ]