Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 3 posts ]
 Post subject: some questions about nexus, help appreciated
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 11:04 pm 

I have been using a nexus 16.06 for couple of months, still have some questions that I could not figure out

1. when I first set this thing up after installation, I found out that some programs worked by simply pulling the desktop icons to the nexus bar, but most programs did NOT work. I had to added manually by right click on the nexus bar, then insert project, then go find the icon in program files etc, quite painful if you have a lot programs installed. Still so now.

2. I have a lot programs installed on my PC, so the bar gets too long it went out the screen (my screen is 32-inch and I have already decreased the size and gaps between icons to the minimum). when you mouse over, the bar won't move so you won't be able to see the icons that "out of the screen". is there better way to deal with this? it would be nice if I could have 2 or multiple bars (like one bar on each edge of the screen) or a bar could kinda have "2-floor", i.e. automatically "goes to next line" like in word?

3. given 1, I have not updated to the latest version yet. I am not sure if I have to add all programs manually one by one to the bar if I update or will it be automatically added if I update? if latter is true, should I install the latest version first, then what should I do to kinda "move" those icons over to the latest version bar?

thank you in advance for help.

Post subject: Re: some questions about nexus, help appreciated
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 9:17 am 

1. which programs wont work? i had issues only with steam games and similar shortcuts that would make winstep icon link to the shortcut itself instead to the program, so when you deleted the shortcut from the desktop nexus icon wouldn't work anymore, but for most programs simple drag and drop works

2. in free version no, but if you buy nexus ultimate or extreme you can have multiple docks, sub-docks and shelf (tabbed dock)

3. update shouldn't mess with your dock but just to be sure you can backup your settings (which will backup the dock, icons/shortcuts as well) in preferences- advanced-backup (i save my backups in a separate folder, not default one, just in case)

edit: 2. i believe you can try ultimate and xtreme for 30 days for free
http://www.winstep.net/comparisonfaq.asp

Post subject: Re: some questions about nexus, help appreciated
PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:55 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

seeker wrote:
1. which programs wont work? i had issues only with steam games and similar shortcuts that would make winstep icon link to the shortcut itself instead to the program, so when you deleted the shortcut from the desktop nexus icon wouldn't work anymore

Fixed this. Steam Games are actually shortcuts with a .URL file extension. These (and actual website shortcuts) are now resolved and stored on the dock/Shelf as URL item types. This allows you to later delete the actual shortcuts from their original locations in the file system without this affecting whatever is on the dock or Shelf.

Profile WWW 

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 3 posts ]