Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 231 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 16  Next
 Post subject: Re: So, what's next after v17.1?
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:27 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Even though *functionally* I could get the same exact behavior of a fan Stack from a normal straight sub-dock, my feeling is that users would not like it just because it doesn't look curved. :)

I could be wrong, but I doubt it.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:38 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Just to illustrate that you are damned if you do, and damned if you don't:

I already talked about here regarding frequent updates and why I wanted to make them as painless as possible. Just got another uninstall survey from a user that uninstalled because, and I quote, "Es erscheinen zu Viele Updates.", i.e.; "There are too many updates."

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:54 am 

winstep wrote:
Just to illustrate that you are damned if you do, and damned if you don't:

I already talked about here regarding frequent updates and why I wanted to make them as painless as possible. Just got another uninstall survey from a user that uninstalled because, and I quote, "Es erscheinen zu Viele Updates.", i.e.; "There are too many updates."

maybe put in a default option to only download stable versions each x months
than a default option to download stable versions as soon as they are available
and third to download betas?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:15 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

seeker wrote:
maybe put in a default option to only download stable versions each x months than a default option to download stable versions as soon as they are available and third to download betas?

You can already specify whether you want to download betas or not. You can also disable the automatic check for updates, and only check manually whenever you want and/or remember to do it. You can also postpone updates and even tell the application to ignore the latest update.

This is just an example on how you can't please everyone, no matter what you do or how hard you try. :)

I'm seriously tempted to make a new topic titled 'Uninstall Survey Hall of Fame'. In it I would discuss and comment on some of the most amazing/shocking uninstall reasons given when uninstalling a Winstep application.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:49 am 

winstep wrote:
seeker wrote:
maybe put in a default option to only download stable versions each x months than a default option to download stable versions as soon as they are available and third to download betas?

You can already specify whether you want to download betas or not. You can also disable the automatic check for updates, and only check manually whenever you want and/or remember to do it. You can also postpone updates and even tell the application to ignore the latest update.

i know
i meant to add another option, which would be default, to check for updates every 2 (or 3?) months
so those who dont want to bother dont have to
those who want updates will enable more frequent ones

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:53 pm 

Personally, I don't understand how people can be unhappy about updates, especially when the result is a ton of great new features and functionality. If updates were happening on a daily basis, with minor enhancements (like Windows 10, LOL!) I could understand some frustration, but in the case of Winstep Nexus, I would think people would be happy. Just my opinion. :)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 5:16 pm 

one (and a half) thing came to mind, not sure how much man hours would it take versus how useful would it be but here it goes:
a) option to backup/export/import individual docks separate from whole nexus backup.
and b) option to import/export dock settings, something akin to format painter in ms office

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:35 am 

Jorge, did you think about my mirroring suggestion from the other thread?
To be able to mirror your shelf and docks to all monitors?

Anyone here having their monitors *not* side by side, but with some space in between or on different desks?

It would be so much better if I could access my applications also from the second and third monitor.
Moving the mouse over 3 screens and then dragging the application all the way back over 3 screens wouldn't be necessary if I could run the application on screen 3 right away.

I also can't think of any downside. First it would be optional, and if you necessarily need the full areas at desktop level on all monitors, you could use the hide mode.

Can this be done, or rather not?

ps. Just read your post about the german guy regarding updates.
I'm german and I assure you that you can't satisfy us, no matter what you do. ^^ If you would have missed out the last 2 or 3 updates, then he most problaby would have stated "Zu wenige updates". (too few updates)
There's hardly any nation bitching around about everything as much as we do. :D
He could easiliy have figured out that he can turn on the updates manually exactly at the frequency that satisfies him. But bitching around is more fun supposedly.
Just ignore people like him.

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 1:50 pm 

Multiple Shelves would be a dream came true for me :roll:

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 10:48 pm 

winstep wrote:
seeker wrote:
nice

Added an optional delay to the 'Capture Desktop' IC too, up to 9 seconds. This allows you to trigger the screen capture and setup whatever scene you want before it fires.

The number of seconds remaining is displayed in the icon, and the clock tick sound is heard every time it changes. I believe this delay feature was an original request made by Yellow, a looong time ago. :)

Definitely need the delay. Thanks and hope it is available soon!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 10:56 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Not sure if I mentioned this already or not, but I tried Seeker's suggestion for magnifying sub-docks appearing above the parent dock, and it actually works really well.

In the next release that will replace making the sub-dock appear some distance away from the parent dock.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:28 am 

I still can't believe that mirroring/cloning the docks and the shelve to all monitors isn't a more popular demand.
I'm pretty sure there are a lot of users who have also a TV connected to their computer, with an additional mouse + keyboard on the living room table.
Any modern TV has computer inputs.
On the TV you do things like browsing the web, watching videos/movies or listening to music, and on the computer monitor everything else.
As any Windows user should know, changing the monitors all the time isn't a good idea. Some apps can crash, some can get stuck in their previous resolution untill log-off, and all kinds of issues can happen, depending on your hardware, drivers and Windows version. If your computer is running anyway, an additional screen doesn't consume too much power. If you pause your work frequently, you just leave both screens on.

Try dragging a dock from a smaller screen 10 feet away... It's possible, but you have to swipe the cursor around like crazy on the screen until you are able to find its position from that distance. Hitting the small dragging area is the next thing...
It's a very stressful task.
But there would be another solution than mirroring:
Moving them via hotkeys. I couldn't find an option for this. Did I overlook it?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 2:34 pm 

My workaround was to have 2 settings backup files with docks/shelf/modules positioned on monitor 1 and on monitor 2 and would switch positions by loading the proper backup

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:56 pm 

toniostarcevic wrote:
Quote:
I still can't believe that mirroring/cloning the docks and the shelve to all monitors isn't a more popular demand.

I would be all for that! I always have copies of my docks on both monitors (because moving the mouse to the right is easier than waiting at the bottom for the main monitors dock to open) :)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:06 pm 

seeker wrote:
My workaround was to have 2 settings backup files with docks/shelf/modules positioned on monitor 1 and on monitor 2 and would switch positions by loading the proper backup

Found a similiar workaround. I happen to own Display Fusion and Robotask.
The first is a program to manage multi-monitor profiles, the second an automation software.
With Display Fusion I've created hotkeys to load 2 different profiles - one with the computer monitor set as primary, and one with the TV as primary.
When changing the seat (sofa+TV/computer desk) I just use the hotkey to set the respective screen as primary.
The problem - every time I change the monitor config, Workshelf has a 1/3 chance to crash. And then it "takes the Windows Explorer with it." (it crashes too)
Therefore I've created 2 tasks with Robotask, which I also run via hotkeys:
1. Kill Workshelf process
2. Send hotkeys to load the respective monitor profile with Display Fusion
3. Wait 10 seconds
4. Run Workshelf

It prevents the crash when quitting Workshelf before changing the monitor config.
I want to prevent Explorer crashes at all costs, since - like any advanced Windows user should know - there are many programs that loose their tray icons after an Explorer crash, what sometimes only can be fixed by a reboot.

It's no ideal solution, because of the unnecessary graphics driver reload, but at least it's easier than opening the settings dialogue every time I change the seat.
Best would still be a "show on all monitors" checkbox for every dock and the shelf.
I don't know how much of a problem different monitor resolutions are for this implementation, but I'd find it acceptable if Workshelf doesn't adapt to the resolutions and just appear larger on a lower res screen.

EDIT:
Seeker's workaround could be improved greatly, by making Winstep backup files runnable! (a double click on them directly loads the backup)

Last edited by toniostarcevic on Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:13 am, edited 4 times in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 231 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 16  Next