Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 231 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
 Post subject: Re: So, what's next after v17.1?
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 4:57 pm 

Edited the post again...

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 5:22 pm 

Ah, about the mouse movement thing - you could "simulate" a high-res sensor by setting your mouse sensitivity very high. This should enable you to reproduce the issue easily.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 5:36 pm 

Can the z-order of an application be locked, so that no other app can change it?
If so, then you could enable this just for about 0.3 seconds, so that possible cursor movements within the animation time won't affect the z-order.

Or if it can't be locked, the sub-dock could be sent to the top again after a 0.3 second delay.
It would look a little glitchy - but it would only occour *if* the bug happened.
If it's still on the top, the "send to top" command shouldn't do anything, or should it? Like some flickering or I don't know?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 6:12 pm 

However, if there aren't many people with such a slippery mouse pad and high-res mouse, I understand if you put this aside.
I don't really need parent dock magnification while having a sub-dock open.

Also looks kind of cleaner without the magnified and moving parent icon behind the sub-dock.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 6:19 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

toniostarcevic wrote:
EDIT: (final) :)
It works! No crashes anymore with the external drive, when using a folder type tab that links to a folder where you put all your folder shortcuts in.
The spinup time doesn't affect the shelf anymore at all.

So - don't add shortcuts to folders on an external hard drive to a regular type tab!

Ok, that is VERY strange. I just looked at the code and, if I could somewhat understand an interrupt happening for a Folder tab in the first critical code section, there is no way I see this happening for a Regular tab.

Don't get rid of your Regular tab that has this problem yet, we might need it to test this further, since my guess is that I won't be able to reproduce it here.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:14 pm 

winstep wrote:
toniostarcevic wrote:
EDIT: (final) :)
It works! No crashes anymore with the external drive, when using a folder type tab that links to a folder where you put all your folder shortcuts in.
The spinup time doesn't affect the shelf anymore at all.

So - don't add shortcuts to folders on an external hard drive to a regular type tab!

Ok, that is VERY strange. I just looked at the code and, if I could somewhat understand an interrupt happening for a Folder tab in the first critical code section, there is no way I see this happening for a Regular tab.

Don't get rid of your Regular tab that has this problem yet, we might need it to test this further, since my guess is that I won't be able to reproduce it here.

Too late unfortunately - I've deleted the tab already.
And I've just tried to reproduce the crash, by creating a new regular tab and dragging some folders from the external and internal drive to it, but so far I couldn't reproduce it...

But one thing could have messed up all my tests so far - the external drive seems to be active all the time for some reason, since I've started the tests. No idea why I didn't realize it sooner, but the folders are opening too fast. There should be a lag when the drive speeds up. Have it all day, every day. Every time when not accessing the drive for more than 10 minutes.
But right now, it seems to be active all the time...
Without the speed-up-lag, I can't test it...
In worst case, the always-active-state of the external drive was already there when creating the "fix" and it doesn't work at all... it just worked because the access-lag wasn't there...
I'm rebooting now.

Edit: Still active all the time. This is exhausting.
Could the folder portal keep the drive awake?

Last edited by toniostarcevic on Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:31 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

toniostarcevic wrote:

True... One question though, if you can still remember: when you clicked on the tab with the folder to the external drive and then quickly on another tab, do you remember *visually* seeing the tab switch to the one with the external drive shortcut? Or was it like the Shelf didn't even register the click?

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:34 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

toniostarcevic wrote:

LOL. No. The 'folder portal' tab points to a folder on an internal hard drive holding a Windows shortcut to the external drive, right?

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:37 pm 

winstep wrote:
toniostarcevic wrote:

True... One question though, if you can still remember: when you clicked on the tab with the folder to the external drive and then quickly on another tab, do you remember *visually* seeing the tab switch to the one with the external drive shortcut? Or was it like the Shelf didn't even register the click?

Yes, I've seen the tab - it actually was the last thing that I've seen every time. Trying to change to another tab led to the crash. It remained it the folder tab.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:42 pm 

winstep wrote:
toniostarcevic wrote:

LOL. No. The 'folder portal' tab points to a folder on an internal hard drive holding a Windows shortcut to the external drive, right?

It's not that absurd - the portal shows newly added folders basically in real time after all.
It could be possible that Windows already accesses (looks into) the sub folders when the main folder is beeing observed.
I'm no programmer...

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:42 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

toniostarcevic wrote:
Yes, I've seen the tab - it actually was the last thing that I've seen every time. Trying to change to another tab led to the crash. It remained it the folder tab.

Ok, wait, plot thickens then... did you see all the icons for that tab, including the ones after the shortcut to the external drive? Perhaps you think it was the external drive spinning up but it really was something else on that tab?

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:15 pm 

winstep wrote:
toniostarcevic wrote:

Ok, wait, plot thickens then... did you see all the icons for that tab, including the ones after the shortcut to the external drive? Perhaps you think it was the external drive spinning up but it really was something else on that tab?

I've actually heard the drive spinning up - it's right beside me. It was like this:
Clicking on the folders tab -> external drive starts to speeds up, shelf lags/freezes -> if waiting until the drive is ready, shelf back to normal. No crash -> if clicking another tab before the drive is ready -> crash

One thing is strange though. I could swear, that - a while ago - the drive wasn't accessed before hovering over the shortcut to the drive. (to update the live folder)
When not hovering over it, the drive wasn't accessed.
But now it was accessed as soon as clicking on the tab...
Which behavior is the proper one?
Maybe it was a strange, unreproducable glitch?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:44 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

toniostarcevic wrote:
I've actually heard the drive spinning up - it's right beside me. It was like this:
Clicking on the folders tab -> external drive starts to speeds up, shelf lags/freezes -> if waiting until the drive is ready, shelf back to normal. No crash -> if clicking another tab before the drive is ready -> crash

One thing is strange though. I could swear, that - a while ago - the drive wasn't accessed before hovering over the shortcut to the drive. (to update the live folder)

Eh? But you said above that the drive would start to speed up when you *clicked* on the folders tab, not when you hovered the icon. Which is it?

Anyway, I think your 'get the live folder' comment might actually be the key to this. For folders in a Regular tab the Shelf first displays the generic folder icon, and only *later* the thumbnail image (live folder image) for that folder (as it happens with images, for instance). I suspect it is at the stage of rendering the folder thumbnail that the drive was accessed *and* the issue occurred.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:10 pm 

winstep wrote:
toniostarcevic wrote:

Eh? But you said above that the drive would start to speed up when you *clicked* on the folders tab, not when you hovered the icon. Which is it?

Anyway, I think your 'get the live folder' comment might actually be the key to this. For folders in a Regular tab the Shelf first displays the generic folder icon, and only *later* the thumbnail image (live folder image) for that folder (as it happens with images, for instance). I suspect it is at the stage of rendering the folder thumbnail that the drive was accessed *and* the issue occurred.

Ok, "a while ago" probably wasn't very clear. I mean like, a *while* ago, like some years or so. Not sure. I don't use the folder tab that much.

That's why I've asked what the supposed behavior is - live folder update on hover, or live folder update as soon as the tab is opened.

However, the drive still remains active... I have not the slightest idea why. And why just now. Have no other choice than to wait for now, until it goes back to sleep.

Last edited by toniostarcevic on Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:12 pm 

Oh, oh. I found a serious reproducible file transfer bug. It took me a while to figure out what the problem was. For a while, I thought it was something weird with the file type because I trimmed (extracted a section that I wanted from a file) which obviously converts the file.

However, I tested other files I did the same thing with and they worked.

I then decided to change the file name to just three letters even though the file name shouldn't be long enough to cause a problem and It worked! I put the file name back and again it didn't work.

So then I carefully examined what was different about it compared to the many other files I tried. You're not going to believe what turned out to be the culprit!!

The bug is, if the file name has a comma in it, it will not transfer!! :shock:

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 231 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next