Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 231 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
 Post subject: Re: So, what's next after v17.1?
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:19 pm 

Windy wrote:
Oh, oh. I found a serious reproducible file transfer bug. It took me a while to figure out what the problem was. For a while, I thought it was something weird with the file type because I trimmed (extracted a section that I wanted from a file) which obviously converts the file.

However, I tested other files I did the same thing with and they worked.

I then decided to change the file name to just three letters even though the file name shouldn't be long enough to cause a problem and It worked! I put the file name back and again it didn't work.

So then I carefully examined what was different about it compared to the many other files I tried. You're not going to believe what turned out to be the culprit!!

The bug is, if the file name has a comma in it, it will not transfer!! :shock:

Holy crap! lol :D

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:32 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

toniostarcevic wrote:
However, the drive still remains active... I have not the slightest idea why. And why just now. Have no other choice than to wait for now, until it goes back to sleep.

How about recreating the original Regular tab so we can re-test and actually try to fix the issue? :wink:

Windy wrote:
The bug is, if the file name has a comma in it, it will not transfer!! :shock:

Aaaargh! Who the hell uses commas in filenames?! LOL

Anyway, my fault, I was under the impression that a comma was an illegal filename character and used that as a file separator.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:52 pm 

winstep wrote:
toniostarcevic wrote:
However, the drive still remains active... I have not the slightest idea why. And why just now. Have no other choice than to wait for now, until it goes back to sleep.

How about recreating the original Regular tab so we can re-test and actually try to fix the issue? :wink:

That's my plan and the reason for the "waiting". ;)

winstep wrote:

Well, ehm, me for example. ^^
If I have a readme that contains only a single sentence, it becomes the file name.
You don't have to open it and the (probably important) info can hardly be overseen.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:15 pm 

Just had another crash while re-recreating the regular tab. After dragging the final folder to it, that contains only videos, the crashing was back.

I've tried it three times in a row. Clicking folder tab -> clicking another tab -> crash. Then I've deleted the video folder and re-added it again, and the issue was gone...
Very strange...
Don't have time to do more tests now, I have to go, but it maybe could be related to live folders and video thumbnails...?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:21 am 

winstep wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I use them frequently. I use them when there are multiple people in a video, pic or other file types.

Oh BTW, I've posted/reported the WorkShelf tab crash problem quite some time ago that toniostarcevic is addressing here. I had to be really careful if I clicked on a WorkShelf tab. I had to wait a few seconds before passing the cursor over a tab or clicking on another one because it would sometimes crash if I didn't wait.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=10448

However, with this new version, I just tried to crash WorkShelf by passing the cursor rapidly over each tab, rapidly clicking each tab and rapidly clicking various folders, shortcuts and functions in each tab, but it wouldn't crash! Yipee!! :D

P.S. If it does crash at some point later on, I can only assume it has something to do with a drive going to sleep.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:34 am 

I'm back. :) (but don't have access to my computer right now)
After Windy's post I'm starting to think that there might be two different reasons for the crashes…
One has something to do with load/access times (that's probably fixed meanwhile), and one with some other reason…

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 1:14 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

My bet is that it has something to do with retrieving the live thumbnail for the folder icon, especially if that folder is filled with videos.

I use the IExtractImage interface, which in turn will call whatever to make the composite thumbnail. One of those 'whatevers' (my guess is one or more video codecs, since it needs to decode the video to retrieve a frame from it which in turn will be used to make the composite folder thumbnail) passes control back to the Windows message pump and we get an interrupt where we should not get one - the Shelf starts processing mouse clicks while we are still waiting for our thumbnail to be rendered, the mouse click in turn causes the Shelf to switch to a different tab, the internal structures get reset, and when the thumbnail routine returns it tries to store the thumbnail in a place in memory that no longer exists and BAM!, we crash with an Access Violation error.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 4:56 am 

winstep wrote:
Is anyone having trouble with the forums logging them out from time to time or is it just me?

Maybe this is why you were having problems. It didn't do it before, but now I couldn't get on this site without using the Add Exception feature it provided.

I unchecked the box that reads: Report errors like this... to prevent it being reported.

Attachment:
Winstep Firefox Certificate Issue.jpg
Winstep Firefox Certificate Issue.jpg [ 60.36 KiB | Viewed 17208 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 5:00 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I know... we're currently adding HTTPS access to the main winstep web site and the SSL certificate for forums.winstep.net and the one for www.winstep.net got mixed up somehow.

Working on it.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 5:19 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Ok, normal HTTPS (secure) access to the forums has been restored.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 5:42 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

And HTTPS access to http://www.winstep.net (main website) is now available too!

I needed that working because otherwise I could not link to images stored on the Winstep server from 3rd party forums that also used HTTPS, such as the Wincustomize forum. Now the images are visible again.

Guess I can finally get some sleep. Uff... :roll:

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:47 pm 

winstep wrote:
My bet is that it has something to do with retrieving the live thumbnail for the folder icon, especially if that folder is filled with videos.

I use the IExtractImage interface, which in turn will call whatever to make the composite thumbnail. One of those 'whatevers' (my guess is one or more video codecs, since it needs to decode the video to retrieve a frame from it which in turn will be used to make the composite folder thumbnail) passes control back to the Windows message pump and we get an interrupt where we should not get one - the Shelf starts processing mouse clicks while we are still waiting for our thumbnail to be rendered, the mouse click in turn causes the Shelf to switch to a different tab, the internal structures get reset, and when the thumbnail routine returns it tries to store the thumbnail in a place in memory that no longer exists and BAM!, we crash with an Access Violation error.

Yes, that's the exact reason.
Just tested it. You must click nothing until the video thumbnails are created, otherwise you get the Access Violation crash.
The other folders have their thumbnails within a second or two, but the video folder takes longer - about 10 seconds.

To prevent the crash, you just have to drag a shortcut to the folder to the Shelf, not the folder itself. Since shortcuts have no file previews.
Or you don't change the tab until all thumbnails are loaded.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:39 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

toniostarcevic wrote:
Yes, that's the exact reason.
Just tested it. You must click nothing until the video thumbnails are created, otherwise you get the Access Violation crash.
The other folders have their thumbnails within a second or two, but the video folder takes longer - about 10 seconds.

Mind doing one last test to make sure thumbnails are really the culprit?

Open WorkShelf Preferences, go to the General tab and click on the More Options button. In the dialog that pops up, disable 'Show document, image and video files as thumbnails'. Now press OK to close the dialog, again to close Preferences and exit WorkShelf.

Run WorkShelf again and try to crash it with the thumbnails disabled. Please let me know.

Anyway, here I already made some changes to prevent the crash from happening. I could simply disable the Shelf (i.e.; make it not respond to mouse clicks) while a thumbnail is being retrieved, but I opted for the other solution, more complicated but one that allows the Shelf to remain responsive (as far as possible). But first I want to make sure that the culprit is indeed thumbnail generation.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:00 pm 

winstep wrote:
Mind doing one last test to make sure thumbnails are really the culprit?

Open WorkShelf Preferences, go to the General tab and click on the More Options button. In the dialog that pops up, disable 'Show document, image and video files as thumbnails'. Now press OK to close the dialog, again to close Preferences and exit WorkShelf.

Run WorkShelf again and try to crash it with the thumbnails disabled. Please let me know.

Have tried.
I've disabled the previews and dragged only the video folder to the shelf. No crash.
Then I've re-enabled the previews - immediate crash on tab switch. (when still the basic folder icon is shown)
After restarting workshelf, I've opened the tab again and this time I've waited until the thumbnails were loaded - no crash.
It's undoubtedly the thumbnails.

By the way - I'm curious why you can't reproduce it. My video folder contains about 100 videos, maybe more. If you don't have a video folder, you could make a temporary folder and just copy/paste-fill it with some not too large random videos.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:22 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

toniostarcevic wrote:
By the way - I'm curious why you can't reproduce it. My video folder contains about 100 videos, maybe more. If you don't have a video folder, you could make a temporary folder and just copy/paste-fill it with some not too large random videos.

Probably because the problem is in one of the video codecs invoked by IExtractImage to generate the live folder thumbnails, and those are usually very system specific.

Anyway, going to open a new topic: 'What's next after v17.12?', eheh.

Profile WWW 

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 231 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next