Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 231 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 16  Next
 Post subject: Re: So, what's next after v17.1?
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:49 pm 

winstep wrote:
So, asking again: does anyone has any issues with the say sub-docks are positioned in relation to the parent docks in the beta? Can I assume it is indeed the better solution?

Honestly, it doesn't make much difference to me. The higher position maybe looks a bit visually cleaner than when it's overlapping. But this could also be theme related. The lower position makes accessing the sub-dock items and moving between docks slightly faster.
Choose what you think is better - I'm okay with both.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:43 am 

winstep wrote:
So, asking again: does anyone has any issues with the say sub-docks are positioned in relation to the parent docks in the beta? Can I assume it is indeed the better solution?

i had to load an old config file because i have been reducing number of docks and subdocks where i can to reduce the size of the save file (to reduce loading time when loading/saving settings)**
(then it occured to me that i could have just stacked docks i have one in another (facepalm))
http://prntscr.com/hm8qct
http://prntscr.com/hm8t6f
http://prntscr.com/hm8sxb
http://prntscr.com/hm8sjn
seems good to me

bug: 1. Nothing would happen when trying to hide multiple docks sharing the same activation keyboard shortcut with toggle mode on.

now it works, but funny/weird: for test purposes i put same command for 3 docks and one internal command.
(and the order i did it was:
1 interal command
2 dock a
3 dock b
4 dock c)

here is what happens:
1. if i imput the command slowly it toggles (hides/unhides) the dock that had the command assigned the last (dock c)
2. if i imput the command couple of times in a row (fast) (*im guessing before winstep is done running the command) then it cycles trough them in reverse order of assignment

examples:
2 fast imputs:
1 toggle dock c
2 toggle dock b

3 fast imputs:
1 toggle dock c
2 toggle dock b
3 toggle dock a

4 fast imputs:
1 toggle dock c
2 toggle dock b
3 toggle dock a
4 run internal command

dont know if that was expected behaviour or not

seeker wrote:
one (and a half) thing came to mind, not sure how much man hours would it take versus how useful would it be but here it goes:
a) option to backup/export/import individual docks separate from whole nexus backup.
and b) option to import/export dock settings, something akin to format painter in ms office

(the loading time for my large backup file was inspiration for that, no point in loading whole setup file if i want to load just one dock or copy one dock settings)

one bug i found that im not sure if its version connected or not.
im on my trip and in a hotel, so i use hdmi to connect my laptop to the tv.
now every time tv comes on or off or the cable gets loose, laptop goes trough new monitor procedure which (atleast on win 7) is same/simmilar as a resolution change,
during/after this winstep (infact whole desktiop, including destop icons) goes trough the motions of adjusting shelf/dock positions to the 'new' resolution (even tho monitor resolution hasnt actualy changed)
and every now and then the 'prevent maximized windows from overlaping the shelf/dock' would stop working, and docks that are usualy just under the colapssed shelf, together with desktop icons would overlap with the shelf, even though the option was on.
this persists even if i toggle the option on/off and would go away after restarting the winstep
once winstep crashed after tv connect/recconect, but i was in the middle of something so i pressed ok before thinking to save the crash info

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:08 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

seeker wrote:
dont know if that was expected behaviour or not

Ooops. Don't know how I didn't catch that one before.

I did change the code to keep on processing activation hotkeys for all docks instead of stopping once it found a match, but I did forget one thing: the dock hide/show animation takes time, and the hotkey for the next dock would not be processed/checked until the previous dock had finished this animation.

So, unless you kept the key pressed for however long it took for ALL the docks sharing the same hotkey to hide/show, the strange behavior you mentioned would happen.

Fixed it here.

seeker wrote:
and every now and then the 'prevent maximized windows from overlaping the shelf/dock' would stop working

The reserve screen space feature has always been a bit messy, for a ton of reasons, one of them being that, due to the way it works, it is *very* hard to debug.

It is based on a system provided - and mostly managed - by Windows called 'appbars'. Windows take care of making sure maximized windows do not overlap reserved areas and of notifying other applications when the size or position of other appbars change.

However, the handling of the actual docks, Shelf, NextSTART taskbar, etc, requires quite a bit more complexity than that. For instance, Xtreme must make sure the Shelf is ALWAYS above the NextSTART taskbar, but appbars come in a 'first come, first served' order. So, if WorkShelf happens to run first, for instance, when NextSTART then runs it must tell WorkShelf to disable its appbars so it can establish its own appbar for the taskbar. Only once that is done can WorkShelf reapply its own appbars. This alone can lead to complications.

Then there are all the other issues, when monitors are added or removed and/or Explorer crashes (which also takes down ALL existing appbars).

So, yeah, problems can sometimes happen. Luckily the above is not the kind of stuff that happens frequently, and if Xtreme gets the position of its own appbars wrong a quick restart always fixes the problem.

Anyway, I actually just finished working on fixing a couple of issues related to this: one was when a dock was reserving screen space but was forced to automatically reduce the icon size - in relation to what the user had preset - in order to still fit on the screen: every time an item was added to or removed from the dock the space reserved would abruptly change TWICE instead of just once. The other had to do with preventing two space reserving and respecting docks attached to perpendicular screen edges from overlapping each other.

These two fixes actually need some testing, so I'm thinking about making another quick beta while I get the official release ready.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:14 am 

12. The Media Control internal commands Previous, Next, Play, Pause, Stop, Mute, Volume Up and Volume Down should now also work with media players other than WinAmp and Windows Media Player.

tested it with vlc, gom player, gom player plus, and pot player and gom audio player, doesnt work for video players (vlc,pot and gom/gom plus) but does for gom audio player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:17 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Do you have a keyboard with multimedia keys? If the players don't work with those, they won't work with Winstep's media ICs either.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:23 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

It works with the MPC-HC video player, for instance. What the IC does is pretend the user pressed the relevant MM key.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:37 am 

winstep wrote:
Do you have a keyboard with multimedia keys? If the players don't work with those, they won't work with Winstep's media ICs either.

dont have one, but i assumed atleast vlc would support them, i dont use it much but its supposed to be one of the most popular video players

winstep wrote:
It works with the MPC-HC video player, for instance. What the IC does is pretend the user pressed the relevant MM key.

just tested that myself before i had read your post

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:52 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

One question: do the words "Windows Media" appear in the titlebar of the VLC window?

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:48 am 

winstep wrote:
One question: do the words "Windows Media" appear in the titlebar of the VLC window?

hmm, no?
http://prntscr.com/hmaelc

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:38 am 

VLC:

https://www.videolan.org/vlc/download-windows.html

I just tested it with my multimedia keyboard and the play/pause button on my keyboard does, indeed, pause and resume the playback.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:59 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Thanks Paul.

I'll download and test it here.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:18 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Ok, I figured out what the problem is: VLC - and the other players that also didn't work - do not 'listen' the media keys globally, i.e.; the player window MUST have the focus (i.e.; be the active window) for the media key to work on it.

Try it if you have MM keys on your keyboard: open VLC and make it play something. Press the Pause/Play key - the video will pause. Now click on another window so the VLC window no longer has the focus and press the Pause/Play key again: nothing will happen. Click on the VLC window and press the Pause/Play key - this time it will work.

Seeker, try the following: add a keyboard shortcut to the Play Media IC on your dock. Now open VLC and make it play something. Press the shortcut key for the Play Media IC while the VLC window still is the active window: this time it should work.

This is a problem. Even if VLC has the focus, when you click on the Winstep Media control IC focus will no longer be on the player but on the Winstep application.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:32 pm 

winstep wrote:
This is a problem. Even if VLC has the focus, when you click on the Winstep Media control IC focus will no longer be on the player but on the Winstep application.

it occured to me that this might be the case but i was to tired to test it out

winstep wrote:
wavedash wrote:
Sorry for the bump, but is this a possibility or not?

Not currently. I still don't fully understand why being able to activate the dock without it taking focus would be useful. If you want the dock to stay on top of the maximized document while you are typing on it, you can always set it to 'always on top'.

so there is atleast one application for wavedashes request

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:05 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

seeker wrote:

Not really. The very instant you click on the dock to activate the MM control IC, the player loses focus (i.e.; even before the Winstep application has a chance to process that mouse click and run the associated code).

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:30 pm 

winstep wrote:
seeker wrote:

Not really. The very instant you click on the dock to activate the MM control IC, the player loses focus (i.e.; even before the Winstep application has a chance to process that mouse click and run the associated code).

o yea. sorry, still half asleep (in usa currently)

i think i read somewhere/saw in options that VLC has an option to use global keys(so does GOM player), so i guess it would work with that, but it seems you would need an actual multimedia keyboard to set up the shortcuts (i tried setting up trough winstep IC but the same focus issue prevents the player from recognizing the command)

if you are watching video, you are probably watching it full screen, so only situation that comes to mind where you would need shortcuts/commands outside the video player itself would be multi monitor setup

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 231 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 16  Next