Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 231 posts ] Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 16  Next
 Post subject: So, what's next after v17.1?
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 3:44 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

There are many things that have been in my to-do list for a long while. The problem is that most of these require a lot of under-the-hood changes to be able to support them properly, since the application was not written with these in mind from the ground up (ah, hindsight really is 20/20 vision!).

An example of this were modules. Only the extensive and lengthy re-write of existing module code in the past releases allowed the current explosion of new modules. Even that is not complete, since modules like a Disk Meter are not yet possible to implement as they require independent settings for each module instance (e.g.; one disk meter module monitoring Drive C:, another Drive D:, and so on...). Adding this ability will also, in turn, allow things like world clocks (where each clock module displays the time at a different timezone), multiple weather modules (where each module displays the weather at a different location), battery modules capable of monitoring different batteries, net meters monitoring different network connections, etc...

Anyway, here is my list in no particular order. Re-order it in a post below so the things you give more importance to are shown first and feel free to add your own suggestions. :)

1. Theme Builder.
2. Vertical Shelf.
3. Multiple Shelves.
4. Drawers (a mix between a single tabbed Shelf and a dock, when collapsed only the tab and the tab title is seen).
5. Stacks Docklet.
6. Disk Meter module + modules with independent settings.

Profile WWW 

Post subject: Re: So, what's next after v17.1?
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 3:54 am 

2 internal commands: hide all docks+modules and manage alarms internal command/shortcut

as for your list, i like it all

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 7:49 am 

1. Vertical Shelf.
2. Multiple Shelves.
3. Theme Builder.
4. Disk Meter module + modules with independent settings.
5. Drawers (a mix between a single tabbed Shelf and a dock, when collapsed only the tab and the tab title is seen).
6. Stacks Docklet.

Chuck

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 12:17 am 

#1. Stacks Docklet!!! This is HUGE in my opinion! Also, could the Stacks Docklet icon be "dynamic" based on folder contents, thus mimicking the Mac OSX stacks icon. Also, an option to set a permanent icon for those who hate the dynamic icon.

#2. This next one is really minor and more of a cosmetic issue. An option to have running apps (specifically those apps *not already pinned* to the dock) appear as an icon with an indicator on the LEFT side of the Separator. This is how Mac OSX dock and Objectdock function. If the user minimizes the window, the minimized window would then appear on the right side of the Separator. Again, I realize this is minor and nitpicky.

Last edited by Dino7405 on Sun Feb 12, 2017 5:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 3:37 am 

1. Stacks Docklet
2. Vertical Shelf
3. Drawers
4. Multiple Shelves
5. Disk Meter module
6. Theme Builder

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 10:02 pm 

Prefer the order in which you originally presented it. :-)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:50 pm 

1. Theme Builder.
2. Vertical Shelf.
3. Drawers (a mix between a single tabbed Shelf and a dock, when collapsed only the tab and the tab title is seen).
4. Stacks Docklet.
5. Multiple Shelves.
6. Disk Meter module + modules with independent settings.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:47 pm 

1 Theme Builder
2 Customizable animated Weather Module, like YoWindow
http://yowindow.com/

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:10 pm 

And here you see how people can be short-sighted. Most only care about direct, immediate improvements and don't care about things they find ready-made anyway.
Of course, I'm talking about the revered "Theme Builder", which you rightfully positioned on top, but which most people don't give a rat's arse about.
Rightfully but wrongly, though, because the Theme Builder will have to be at position #0. Above everything else and pinned at the top.
You see, people who don't care to or who cannot create themes, obviously, won't give a crap about the Theme Builder. They want new features, things they can see right away. A "theme builder" is of no use to them.

However, I propose, and urge them to consider, this: themes take time to create, and ten times as much time, to fine-tune. The creators of themes are forced to manually edit configuration files by hand, searching for settings with cryptic names, changing them one by one. Eventually, after tens of hours, a new theme is born, which all of you, plain users, can happily download and either use or dismiss.
Obviously, you don't care about all that time spent, and most of the time, don't know how much it is.
Now, consider how many people have created wonderful themes, new themes, revolutionary themes, but have never published them, only because, at some point, they got too tired of fine-tuning, that they just finished the parts that they use, and stopped there, never completing the work. Also consider how many talented digital artists could have made a theme with brilliant artwork, but couldn't -- or couldn't be bothered -- to start editing configuration files by hand and, mostly, using trial-and-error to understand things.

I urge all of you, therefore, to consider that, evaluate not your immediate gratification but the long-term value of the "Theme Builder" and re-evaluate your votes accordingly. Granted, you personally may not have any need whatsoever for it, but I am quite certain that you would, not only welcome, but revere and adore more, new and well-designed themes.

Profile WWWYIMICQ 

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 12:27 am 

Not true. I cannot make themes therefore I want the best out there to make them for me. I'm also willing to pay for them. So put Theme Builder on top!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 4:33 am 

1. Theme Builder.
2. Multiple Shelves.
3. Stacks Docklet.
4. Disk Meter module + modules with independent settings.
5. Vertical Shelf.
6. Drawers (a mix between a single tabbed Shelf and a dock, when collapsed only the tab and the tab title is seen).

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:45 am 

skagon wrote:
"THEME BUILDER!!!"

I appreciate your perspective and passion, but disagree. Having spent years with the likes of WindowBlinds to make my systems "look cool," I've definitely built an appreciation for what themes provide. As I get older, however, I've grown to prefer functionality to appearance and have stepped away from "eye candy" programs.

Software like Winstep provides much functionality I fund useful. That's why I've stuck with it for over a decade. Themes, while attractive, along with a theme builder to make them, may be important to many. They are not nearly as meaningful to me as something like a vertical shelf.

Simply put, I prefer substance over style.

Chuck

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:24 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

As I think most, if not all of you know, I hate working on the Theme Builder because it's really boring work. However, I have to agree with Skagon, it must be on top of the to-do list.

Winstep applications are a mix of eye-candy with functionality. The latter makes you stay, but it's the former that sells.

Also, recently a bunch of new modules have been added, and nobody knows how to skin them because there are no example theme configuration files. I also added lots of new skinning options to existing modules, but, again, nobody knows how to take advantage of that for the same reason. So, the Theme Builder is a must.

Anyway, when I finished writing the list above (from the top of my head), I was actually surprised by how short it was - I was expecting it to be much longer. But the truth is that so much missing functionality has been added in the last year (there were 6 releases in 12 months, most crammed with new stuff) that the list is now quite short.

Most of the stuff there is inter-related too. For instance, the Stacks docklet has two visualization modes, Fan and Grid. I'm thinking that the Shelf would actually be a good candidate to take over the Grid role, as a single tab pop-up Shelf displaying the contents of a folder.

The Shelf already does everything a Grid stacks needs to do - and much more, including mouse over effects, full drag & drop support, etc... Because Grid would thus be a separate individual session of the Shelf, we can also use existing Shelf skins for it. Furthermore, to pull this off I need to change the Shelf code so that it supports multiple sessions - thus paving the way for multiple Shelves.

As for the Fan style of the Stacks docklet, I haven't decided yet how to approach it. I can make something simple, where the icons are static like in the original, or I can go all the way from the beginning and let the Fan stack support all mouseover, etc, effects that a normal dock has.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:27 pm 

I can see the sales perspective and can't argue with your logic. You will no doubt attract new customers based on the look, but will retain customers based on the functionality.

It can't be easy finding a balance between recruiting new customers and retaining current ones.

Chuck

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:43 am 

winstep wrote:
Most of the stuff there is inter-related too. For instance, the Stacks docklet has two visualization modes, Fan and Grid. I'm thinking that the Shelf would actually be a good candidate to take over the Grid role, as a single tab pop-up Shelf displaying the contents of a folder.

The Shelf already does everything a Grid stacks needs to do - and much more, including mouse over effects, full drag & drop support, etc... Because Grid would thus be a separate individual session of the Shelf, we can also use existing Shelf skins for it. Furthermore, to pull this off I need to change the Shelf code so that it supports multiple sessions - thus paving the way for multiple Shelves.

As for the Fan style of the Stacks docklet, I haven't decided yet how to approach it. I can make something simple, where the icons are static like in the original, or I can go all the way from the beginning and let the Fan stack support all mouseover, etc, effects that a normal dock has.

Any chance we could still get a grid option for Stacks, even though the Shelf already has the same functionality?

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 231 posts ] Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 16  Next