Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 21 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Clock Announcement Delay
PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:05 pm 

Jorge, it appears you're speculation was correct. Wow, what a strange occurrence of events! The other day, one of my students (I volunteer and teach table tennis at a local community center) gave me a soundbar that her son left at an apt he moved out of.

Everything was missing. No satellite speakers, subwoofer, several audio plugs and remote control. I even had to buy the power cord for it which fortunately cost only 7 dollars. My plan was to use it in conjunction with the computer speakers and subwoofer I use.

The soundbar has bluetooth capability. I had to buy a bluetooth dongle to enable my desktop to have bluetooth capability. Fortunately, that was 6 dollars online.

I tried desperately tinkering around with the speaker settings in Realtek HD Audio Manager and the Windows one to make them work together but Windows will not allow two separate audio sources to work together. I read and watched many tutorials but cannot get it to work together using either bluetooth or corded audio jacks that I have laying around. I can only get the soundbar and my computer speaker system to work separately.

Then, after 2 days of this, Driver Booster 4 popped up that I need to update a driver. Lo and behold, it was an audio driver. I updated it and now the delay problem is gone. However, it disabled Realtek. I don't see the icons anywhere and it's grayed out in Notification Area Icons for the system tray.

Should I re-enable/reinstall Realtek or leave it as it is?

I'm not sure if Wisecare (a registry cleaner) caused the problem. I'll discontinue using it for now.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:57 pm 

While i don't know about these specific products you mention i would recommend you do a thorough research for any driver manager and registry cleaner software you use (if you haven't already) not only are many of them so poorly written they cause more issues than they solve, a lot of them are borderline (or even straight out) malicious software.

As for realtek, if your sonund card doesn't have specific functionality you actualy need they software for (like some laptops that have jus obe 3.5 jack and need realtek to switch between headset/mic/aoudio in) you can leave it disabled

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:24 am 

I think I may have found the culprit. Firefox is my default browser. I've been having an issue for quite some time now with cellphone videos not playing correctly (no video but audio plays) on FB using Firefox and IE but found out it worked using Chrome.

I was instructed to disable Hardware Acceleration in Firefox and the videos began playing correctly again on all browsers.

Then to my surprise, I noticed that the clock announcement went back to playing normally! It feels great to have it back! :D I'll keep an eye out to see if stays that way.

Jorge, does this make sense to you? If so, why and how can that happen?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 4:00 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

No idea, sorry.

To tell you the truth, with so many different software/hardware combinations out there, it's almost a miracle anything works properly lol.

This, however, is another perfect example how issues completely outside an application can, never-the-less, have a dramatic effect on it.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:45 am 

Yes, it's really odd.

It appears that as Seeker mentioned that some driver(s) caused the problem with the clock announcement and as stated on the Firefox forum that some driver(s) more than likely caused the problem I had with certain videos.

Jorge, I was hoping that with your awesome knowledge you would know why shutting off hardware acceleration in Firefox would make the clock announcement work correctly again.

The only thing I can come up with is that they were both feeding off of the same thing and the new driver(s) couldn't handle it.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:40 pm 

Since I haven't read the first page of this thread since it went to two pages, I decided to go back and read it.

Jorge, I forgot that you said it's possible that drivers could be the culprit so your suspicion about drivers from the beginning was correct.

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 21 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2