Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 6 posts ]
 Post subject: Activating a tab in a shelf
PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:10 pm 

This is a very minor thing, and it feels like I'm pointing out a "first world problem" by even bringing it up. But it's kind of annoying to me. I wonder if my settings are just not set correctly to get what I want.

SETUP: I have a shelf set up with seven tabs in it. In the settings, I have the "Automatically activate the shelf on mouse over" and "Select a different tab just by mousing over it" checked. I always have the shelf positioned at the top of the screen with it hidden (closed) until activated, with just the tabs showing. I also have the "Activate the shelf by bumping the screen edge with the mouse pointer" checked.

BEHAVIOR: Let's say tab 1 is currently selected, but the shelf is closed. When I move my mouse up to the shelf and hover over tab 3 to activate it, the shelf opens, but more often than not tab 3 will not activate. I then have to move my mouse down (since the shelf is now open) and hover over tab 3 again to activate tab 3.

QUESTION: I was hoping that tab 3 would activate at the same moment I hover over the tab to open the shelf. Are my settings just set incorrectly to not get this behavior? I think what's happening is I'm moving the mouse to the edge, which triggers the "Activate the shelf by bumping the screen edge with the mouse pointer", before the "Automatically activate the shelf on mouse over" is able to trigger. I would hope that "Automatically activate the shelf on mouse over" would happen first, since my mouse has to pass over the tab first to get to the edge of the screen.

As I said, the issue is very minor, but just a little annoying. Thanks to anyone in advance for any help!

Post subject: Re: Activating a tab in a shelf
PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:23 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Probably a timing issue. I'll look into this and let you know. :)

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:42 pm 

Thanks Jorge!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:32 pm 

I'm using version 16.06.1161. I'm having a similar issue. I have to click one of the tabs on the Shelf before mouseover will work.

After mousing over Desktop, Control Panel, Main Recent, Documents I get an error message before I can finish mousing over the rest of the tabs. It's reproducible every time.

The error message I get is WorkShelf Exception Handler. If I click on Retry, nothing happens. If I click Cancel, Winstep closes.

Attachments:
WorkShelf Exception Handler.jpg
WorkShelf Exception Handler.jpg [ 14.06 KiB | Viewed 13856 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:01 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Exactly which tab is causing this error? Does it happen if you go directly to it without mousing over the other tabs? What happens if instead of mousing over from left to right you mouse over from right to left?

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:35 pm 

I exited and restarted to see what would happen. And it still does it. It happens after I mouseover Documents from left to right.

This time I got the error message that Windows would try and find the problem. And then I got another Winstep error message, it closed, and all of my Desktop items are no longer visible.

I'll have to restart Winstep via Start Menu to get them to show again.

I restarted Winstep then I tried it a few times and it didn't do it from right to left or when I mouseover Documents. Isn't mouseover supposed to activate the tab without clicking on it? Or is my settings the reason it doesn't active on mouseover without clicking on a tab?

Here is the Winstep error message I got.

Attachments:
NextSTART - Cannot locate WorkShelf.jpg
NextSTART - Cannot locate WorkShelf.jpg [ 9.2 KiB | Viewed 13846 times ]

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 6 posts ]