Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 2 posts ]
 Post subject: Nexus Ultimate compatibility with UAC
PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 12:57 pm 

I have a number of dock entries that, when clicked, cause a UAC prompt to appear. Those same items, including Services and Computer Management do not cause the prompt if clicked in the Start menu. Sometimes the UAC prompt doesn't appear on top and I don't see it.

Checking the "Run As Administrator" box for the dock entry does not help. This is quite annoying behavior. Is there anything that I can do to change it?

Randy

Post subject: Re: Nexus Ultimate compatibility with UAC
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 3:20 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hi Randy!

The UAC prompt appearing for applications that require elevation is the proper behavior, since Nexus Ultimate does not run with elevated privileges (nor should it, for obvious security reasons). The 'Run As Administrator' setting is there to FORCE applications to run with admin privileges, an action that also causes a UAC prompt to appear (again, as it should).

Annoying it may be, but the UAC prompt is there for your own security and has been enforced by Microsoft since Windows Vista.

Not sure why you are able to launch those same applications from the Windows Start Menu without a UAC prompt (are you sure they are actually running elevated?), but I can assure you will also get a UAC prompt with any other dock/launcher.

Profile WWW 

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 2 posts ]