Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 16 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Nexus dock vanishes on click (it is not supposed to)
PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 7:08 am 

So I am having an issue with the dock instantly vanishing whenever I click on any icon to launch an application. It wasn't doing this a couple of days back. Instead, it would descend and zoom inwards but I can't get it to do that any more.

The only changes I made to the preferences since the time it worked correctly were in the Effects dialogue where I set the Attention effect to AfterGlow. The effect never worked so I figured maybe it is reserved for the paid version. However, changing the effect to anything else made no difference.

If I upgrade to the paid version will it solve this issue?

Attachments:
File comment: Current settings
nexus.png
nexus.png [ 219.24 KiB | Viewed 28442 times ]

Post subject: Re: Nexus dock vanishes on click (it is not supposed to)
PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:10 am 

check behaviour tab ->
http://prntscr.com/fsp2hc
(if its checked that explains the behaviour and solution is simply to uncheck it

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:54 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

QTP wrote:
I set the Attention effect to AfterGlow. The effect never worked so I figured maybe it is reserved for the paid version. However, changing the effect to anything else made no difference.

And this, I think, might be because you don't really understand what the Attention effect is for.

I've seen it a lot of times on videos of random people explaining Nexus settings: they do really well until they get to the Attention effect, then they clearly show they don't know what that is for.

The Attention effect - as the name implies - is only played when an icon is trying to get your attention. This includes the weather module currently retrieving weather info, the clock module synchronizing the system time with the atomic time servers, the email module checking for new messages, and when a task list icon (icon representing a running application in the dock) needs your attention (the equivalent to the flashing Windows taskbar button, except in Nexus you can choose more effects than just flashing).

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:27 am 

@ seeker

Thanks for your input. I unchecked all the options in the auto hide settings but the dock still instantly vanishes on click, and yes, I did apply the changes before closing the Nexus settings window.

@ Winstep

Yes, you are correct about the Attention effect however it brings up another question: for those who, like myself, use auto-hide, it will always be impossible to see the attention effect so why is no 'None' option available in the settings menu? Or are you saying that the dock will automatically make itself visible if the attention effect is triggered (in which case it doesn't work on my PC)?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:41 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

QTP wrote:
Thanks for your input. I unchecked all the options in the auto hide settings but the dock still instantly vanishes on click, and yes, I did apply the changes before closing the Nexus settings window.

Did you disable all animations (Preferences -> General tab)?

In Preferences -> Behavior -> Auto-Hide Settings, did you check already the animation speed settings and/or did you change the auto-hide animation from 'Slide' to 'No Animation' ? What is your auto-hide delay set to? Did you try playing with it?

What happens if you manually hide the dock by double clicking the Nexus control dock icon, assuming you still have it visible?

QTP wrote:
Yes, you are correct about the Attention effect however it brings up another question: for those who, like myself, use auto-hide, it will always be impossible to see the attention effect so why is no 'None' option available in the settings menu? Or are you saying that the dock will automatically make itself visible if the attention effect is triggered (in which case it doesn't work on my PC)?

It will for running applications, but not for informative module functions (e.g.; 'hey bud, I'm checking the Internet!') because they are not deemed important enough.

For the former, there is even an option to turn it on or off in Preferences -> Behavior -> Activation Settings -> 'Activate if hidden when an application in the dock requests attention'.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:20 am 

winstep wrote:
Did you disable all animations (Preferences -> General tab)?

No.

winstep wrote:
In Preferences -> Behavior -> Auto-Hide Settings, did you check already the animation speed settings and/or did you change the auto-hide animation from 'Slide' to 'No Animation' ? What is your auto-hide delay set to? Did you try playing with it?

Delay before hiding the dock = 1200 ms
Animation being used = Fly Out
Animation speed = 350 ms

I haven't messed around with these settings as they worked more or less ok until yesterday. When I say more or less I mean that making the dock appear is a hit and miss affair. Most of the time it works but sometimes it doesn't. In that case I just bring up the Nexus preferences window from the system tray and it works again (without having to make any changes).

winstep wrote:
What happens if you manually hide the dock by double clicking the Nexus control dock icon, assuming you still have it visible?

The Nexus icon is no longer on the dock itself. I have it in the system tray only.

winstep wrote:
For the former, there is even an option to turn it on or off in Preferences -> Behavior -> Activation Settings -> 'Activate if hidden when an application in the dock requests attention'.

That option has always been checked.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:19 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

QTP wrote:
I haven't messed around with these settings as they worked more or less ok until yesterday.

So, what happened yesterday? Can you remember anything unusual? Normally things don't just stop working by themselves. :wink:

QTP wrote:
Most of the time it works but sometimes it doesn't.

Did you try figuring out a pattern for when it doesn't? For instance, Nexus by design does not activate (i.e.; it ignores edge bumps) if a full screen application (such as a game or *full screen* browser window, which is not the same as maximized) is currently open.

QTP wrote:
The Nexus icon is no longer on the dock itself. I have it in the system tray only.

Well, temporarily put it back on the dock then (Preferences -> Content tab) and double click it. I want to know if there is a problem with the auto-hide animation or if it's something else.

QTP wrote:
That option has always been checked.

Then the dock will automatically activate itself if you have it set to display running applications *and* one of them starts flashing in the taskbar.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 6:37 pm 

Like I said originally, the only change I made was to the Attention effect but even after changing it back to the way it was previously the issue persisted.

I have returned the Nexus control icon to the dock but it still hasn't made any difference. In fact, even if I single, or double-click, or just keep the left mouse button pressed on the Nexus icon the dock instantly vanishes with no animation to show it dropping back down. Maybe it has been caused by a Windows update?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 7:21 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

QTP wrote:
In fact, even if I single, or double-click, or just keep the left mouse button pressed on the Nexus icon the dock instantly vanishes with no animation to show it dropping back down. Maybe it has been caused by a Windows update?

Don't know, that's what I am trying to figure out by asking you all these questions. :) Could be anything, really.

Changing the attention effect would not cause this, that's for sure. Have you tried rebooting your system already (you know, computers, lol)?

Also, there is something else you can try to determine if it is a system wide or a settings problem: go to the Advanced tab in Preferences and click the Backup button. Make a backup of your current settings giving it a distinctive filename, so you know what to restore later.

Now click the Troubleshooting Options button and then the Reset Everything button. This will reset your dock to factory defaults - now you can see if the odd behavior still persists.

Once you've done that, to get your old dock and settings back, click the Restore button in the Advanced tab of Preferences and select the file you previously saved.

If the problem goes away after the reset, but comes back after the restore, send that backup file to the Winstep support email address so I can have a look at your settings.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 7:36 pm 

http://prntscr.com/fsxetx
by any chance do you have this setting on?

i had it cause some annoying behaviour when i would both click on a shelf and accidentally bump the edge while doing it

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 7:56 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

seeker wrote:
i had it cause some annoying behaviour when i would both click on a shelf and accidentally bump the edge while doing it

Ahahah! :P

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 5:57 pm 

seeker wrote:
http://prntscr.com/fsxetx
by any chance do you have this setting on?

Sorry for the delay in my reply. Been too busy with work today. :(
No, I didn't have that option checked.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 10:01 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

QTP wrote:
Sorry for the delay in my reply. Been too busy with work today. :(
No, I didn't have that option checked.

Did you try already what I wrote above?

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:38 am 

winstep wrote:
Changing the attention effect would not cause this, that's for sure. Have you tried rebooting your system already (you know, computers, lol)?

Yes. I reboot daily but the issue persists.

Quote:
Also, there is something else you can try to determine if it is a system wide or a settings problem: go to the Advanced tab in Preferences and click the Backup button. Make a backup of your current settings giving it a distinctive filename, so you know what to restore later.

Now click the Troubleshooting Options button and then the Reset Everything button. This will reset your dock to factory defaults - now you can see if the odd behavior still persists.

Once you've done that, to get your old dock and settings back, click the Restore button in the Advanced tab of Preferences and select the file you previously saved.

If the problem goes away after the reset, but comes back after the restore, send that backup file to the Winstep support email address so I can have a look at your settings.

After resettting everything it still vanishes on click so I think it is likely a Windows problem but I have no idea where to start with that and I'm certainly not reinstalling Windows.

You are welcome to examine my settings anyway, if it is still relevant?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 3:13 am 

I am having this same issue. I don't know why but every time I click on the dock to try and open an application the dock just disappears and I have to double click the NeXus icon to make it reappear. It's actually quite annoying. Another thing is every time I try to go to effects the preference window disappears as well as the dock. So I can't even change the effects. :x :x :roll: :?

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 16 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next