Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 8 posts ]
 Post subject: Weather not working on one of three computers
PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 2:11 pm 

I have three computers I have installed Winstep Nexus on. On one of them, which is running Win10 Pro, the weather module does not work at all. I have compared weather settings and configuration of this machine to the other two. All of the settings are exactly the same. Yet it still does not work. Any suggestions?

Post subject: Re: Weather not working on one of three computers
PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 6:39 pm 

I have the same Problem.
It does't work.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 6:42 pm 

It would appear that no one at WinStep cares about fixing the Weather Module for Nexus. Why oh why does it not work on one of my computers when all the settings are the same on all three? I reckon it's because I use the free version of the software and, as such, should not expect the same level of support a paying customer might get. Has anyone else experienced this? Have you ever found a successful workaround to get it working? It's a burr under my saddle for sure.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2021 12:51 am 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

stlcardinalsfan wrote:
It would appear that no one at WinStep cares about fixing the Weather Module for Nexus. Why oh why does it not work on one of my computers when all the settings are the same on all three? I reckon it's because I use the free version of the software and, as such, should not expect the same level of support a paying customer might get. Has anyone else experienced this? Have you ever found a successful workaround to get it working? It's a burr under my saddle for sure.

The fact it's working on two machines and not on a third would suggest it is some kind of problem in the system of the latter rather than a Winstep problem. There certainly is nothing that would suggest that the Weather module might need "fixing" per se. OF course, the MSN weather feed being crap and not yielding all the data the old feed did is another matter.

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2021 1:18 am 

It's way, way too easy to just blame it on the third computer without even considering and investigating the possibility it could be something in the way Nexus Weather works on a Windows 10 Pro system. All three machines are current with all Windows updates. All three machines have all current drivers for all hardware. All three machines have all virus definition files up to date. I am a stickler on making sure everything is kept up to date on these three fronts. I even make sure all are running the same versions of software installed on them. There are no VPNs in play here; all three machines are behind the same firewall with the same options for each. Nexus is even allowed through the firewall. If MSN weather feeds are messed up on one system, why then are they not messed up on the other two systems. It's the same feeds, it's the same parameters. And I can only assume it's the same Nexus weather module. Before giving up on Nexus, I will try to uninstall it and reinstall it. I just reloaded Windows itself on this third machine. So I know there's nothing wrong with Windows itself. If reinstalling Nexus doesn't work, then I will give up on it as viable software on any machine whether it works or not.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2021 3:02 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

stlcardinalsfan wrote:
It's way, way too easy to just blame it on the third computer without even considering and investigating the possibility it could be something in the way Nexus Weather works on a Windows 10 Pro system. All three machines are current with all Windows updates. All three machines have all current drivers for all hardware. All three machines have all virus definition files up to date. I am a stickler on making sure everything is kept up to date on these three fronts. I even make sure all are running the same versions of software installed on them. There are no VPNs in play here; all three machines are behind the same firewall with the same options for each. Nexus is even allowed through the firewall. If MSN weather feeds are messed up on one system, why then are they not messed up on the other two systems. It's the same feeds, it's the same parameters. And I can only assume it's the same Nexus weather module. Before giving up on Nexus, I will try to uninstall it and reinstall it. I just reloaded Windows itself on this third machine. So I know there's nothing wrong with Windows itself. If reinstalling Nexus doesn't work, then I will give up on it as viable software on any machine whether it works or not.

Look. I'm just a volunteer, unpaid moderator not affiliated with Winstep Software, just a very long term user (since inception) doing my best to answer queries where and when I can. As such, it's neither for me to 'test' anything for faults, nor could I do so were I so inclined as I don't have access to the source.

As I said previously, if the module works on 2 systems but not a third, then the most likely, indeed, probably the only, explanation for the problem is the system itself. And as far as I'm aware, nobody else has reported this problem, so it is indeed most unlikely that the Nexus program is at fault. Winstep Xtreme runs on two - very different, very differently set up - machines here, and there are absolutely no problems here. I have run the weather module several times - I don't normally use it - and had no problems at all, and there's nothing - or very little - that can be done about the crummy MSN feed, other than completely re-writing the module with completely different feeds.

The modules are, in any case, really nothing more than a little bonus, they hardly are an essential or even major part of the program.

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2021 1:54 am 

Well, reinstalling it on the Windows Pro system did not change anything. Weather still doesn't work at all. So I am uninstalling NeXuS on all systems. I don't need it not working. I will just the News and Interests feature in Windows to get current weather information that works on any system I have without having to install any additional software. It would appear it is now a moot point. It's adios muchachos, NeXuS! Vaya con Dios!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 7:45 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

stlcardinalsfan wrote:
Well, reinstalling it on the Windows Pro system did not change anything. Weather still doesn't work at all. So I am uninstalling NeXuS on all systems. I don't need it not working. I will just the News and Interests feature in Windows to get current weather information that works on any system I have without having to install any additional software. It would appear it is now a moot point. It's adios muchachos, NeXuS! Vaya con Dios!

That is of course your privilege. But you're cutting your nose to spite your face old chap. Bit silly....

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 8 posts ]