Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 6 posts ]
 Post subject: NextStart & Start10
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:20 am 

Been using Nexus Dock (free) for quite awhile. When I saw Winstep Xtreme on sale tonight, I figured it was time to jump in and get the full dock package, along with the other goodies.

I've been using Start10 by Stardock, and of course, Winstep Xtreme comes with NEXT START. I'm not really familiar with it, but it looks like Next Start renders Start10 unnecessary. Is that that case? Will they conflict if used together?

I have a lot to dig into, but I really wanted to make sure I avoided conflicts first and foremost.

THANKS!

Post subject: Re: NextStart & Start10
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:27 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Winstep and Stardock applications do not usually conflict with each other.

NextSTART, among other things, comes with it's own - more classic - replacement taskbar and customizable menus, but you can turn the taskbar part off if you don't like it or prefer the native Windows taskbar.

Provided Start10 responds to the WIN key, you will probably even be able to continue using BOTH NextSTART and Start10: even though the Start Button in the NextSTART taskbar opens the NextSTART Start Menu by default, it also has a 'button' that opens the native Windows Start Menu.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:32 am 

winstep wrote:
Winstep and Stardock applications do not usually conflict with each other.

NextSTART, among other things, comes with it's own - more classic - replacement taskbar and customizable menus, but you can turn the taskbar part off if you don't like it or prefer the native Windows taskbar.

Provided Start10 responds to the WIN key, you will probably even be able to continue using BOTH NextSTART and Start10: even though the Start Button in the NextSTART taskbar opens the NextSTART Start Menu by default, it also has a 'button' that opens the native Windows Start Menu.

Thanks, Jorge. Much appreciated.

From all appearances, they DO seem to be co-existing, though it's odd to have TWO Windows-Start-Like menus there. Guess I'll keep the Start10 in teh short-term, as I'm more comfortable with it, and as I ease into NextSTART, I'll see about getting rid of Start10 later.

I'm glad you guys had this sale. Been wanting to upgrade to the pay version of Nexus Dock for awhile now, but now I have that and more!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:13 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Nothing stops you from using both, actually. :)

For instance, you could use Start10 as the main Start Menu, and the NextSTART menu(s) as 'customizable' menu(s). If you want to do this you can attach hotspot 0 to the 'Show Start Menu' internal command (which will then invoke Start10 instead of the main NextSTART menu) and modify the current Start10 Quick Launch button in the taskbar so it shows the main NextSTART menu instead.

World is your oyster. :wink:

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:54 am 

Dang. . .so many options, so much to learn!

I've generally stayed away from programs that overly customize the Windows interface, out of worry that it will be unstable, or glitchy, or bog down the computer. After the year or so of using the free dock, and the short time using Xtreme, this doesn't seem to be the case with your software. It brings a smile to my face to be able to modify the windows to work how I like it, and to throw in a little pizzazz and whimsy along the way with animated dock icons, etc. I wish there were more animated PNGS out there though, suitable for dock use. A neglected, and probably difficult, art form.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:31 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Well, Winstep applications do not interfere in any way, shape, or form with Windows or 3rd party applications. There is no 'hooking' into other processes here, they act just like 'regular' applications, no different than a word-processor. That is why the system is so stable, and why getting back to 'normal' Windows is as easy as exiting the Winstep application.

As for animated PNGs, did you check the Themes page on the Winstep web site? There is a link there to TONS of other animated icons made by Spippy. Check it out:

https://rocketdock.com/user/34413/addons/newest

Profile WWW 

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 6 posts ]