Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 6 posts ]
 Post subject: Thumbnails Issue
PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:56 pm 

I have a problem with the thumbnails of the applications. As you can see in the attached images although the thumbnails is set to 512 pixels it looks small and with the letters chopped at the top of the preview (I think it is not adjusted for hidpi screens). However, the preview of my taskbar set at 400 pixels looks great. I would like to buy this product because I love it, I hope it will be fixed.

https://1drv.ms/f/s!Auq-6XMoLgLdg893DlAf24bq8XwS1Q

Post subject: Re: Thumbnails Issue
PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:29 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

This happens because you have a 3200x1800 screen which you are running at something like 200% DPI.

The Nexus thumbnails seem small by comparison to the Windows taskbar thumbnails because the first are *actual* 512 pixels in size while the taskbar thumbnails are 400 pixels x 2 (200% DPI scaling), so 800 pixels.

I have been gradually adding high DPI support to Winstep applications and it's looking pretty good, but it seems I forgot about the running application thumbnails.

This DPI thing can be a bit ambiguous sometimes. For instance, take the dock: its size is established by the size (in pixels) of the icons, which the user can select.

Why is it ambiguous? On a 100% DPI system, an icon size of 16x16 pixels means exactly that. But what about on a system running at 200% DPI? Should the icon size double automatically too (in which case the user setting an icon size of 16x16 would actually result in 32x32 pixel icons) ? The problem with answering yes to that question is that, since the icon size cannot be set to anything smaller than 16x16, the user would then be unable to set the dock to hold *actual* 16x16 icons: on a 200% DPI system the minimum size they would appear at would be 32x32 pixels. This would also mean less items would fit on a dock than the absolute maximum possible (with real 16x16 icons).

This is exactly why under Winstep Xtreme you can independently control if the menus, the taskbar, the Shelf and the desktop modules scale automatically on high DPI systems or not.

Hope I am making sense?

So, should the size of the running application thumbnails strictly obey the size in pixels set by the user, or should they scale automatically according to the system DPI settings? Currently they do not scale, but I actually think they should, and I also think that an extra option to control whether they scale or not is NOT necessary.

But I would like to hear the opinions of others.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:46 pm 

I agree with you, I prefer that it be automatically scaled depending on the configuration of the system and the extra option is not necessary if it is scaled or not

Attachments:
File comment: here is my configuration
1.png
1.png [ 29.35 KiB | Viewed 11954 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:36 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Jesus, 250% DPI. :shock: No wonder even Windows has trouble displaying the text in the Windows taskbar settings section lol

Anyway, I changed the code so the window preview thumbnails now automatically scale up according to the system DPI. Did the same for the thumbnails in balloon tooltips.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:45 pm 

Is the configuration recommended by Windows :D

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:02 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

LOL. Hopefully it will never tell you to jump off a bridge. :wink:

Profile WWW 

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 6 posts ]