Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 3 posts ]
 Post subject: Application icons missing
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 5:37 pm 

For some reason, Workshelf in Windows 10 has stopped showing icons where the icon path is the application .exe. In its place, I simply see the default doc icon. If I go to shelf properties and follow the icon path, I can see the correct icon in the selection window but when I hit the OK button, the correct icon does not appear on the shelf -- just the default. If/where/as I direct workshelf to insert a .png file, there is no issue -- just where the icon is derived the the application .exe file ... which is the preponderence of my apps/icons.

Thoughts? comments?

::m

Post subject: Re: Application icons missing
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:26 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Funny you mention this... I was about to ask if anyone else has been experiencing problems with UWP icons in Windows 10 turning into 'white paper' icons on the dock.

As far as I can tell, this is not an application bug, rather it seems to be some kind of bug with the system image lists in the latest Windows 10 update.

The API call that should return the proper UWP icon returns that 'blank page' icon instead, but it does not happen with all UWP apps as some still display the proper icon.

Haven't figured out what fixes this either. Restarting the application does not seem to do it, but *apparently* (not sure yet, this is so crazy I haven't understood what is going on yet) a combination of creating a shortcut in the desktop to an affected UWP app and THEN restarting the Winstep application seems to cure the issue.

However, in your case it's not a problem with UWP apps, but with executable files. This rings the proverbial bell: you have at some point installed Stardock's IconPackager, haven't you? If so, this is a known problem:

Q) Icons display the default (blank page) image.
A) This is a bug with Stardock's IconPackager. Open the Windows Registry Editor, go to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shellex and see if the subkey 'IconHandler' exists. If it does, delete it then reboot.

Profile WWW 

Post subject: Re: Application icons missing
PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:52 pm 

Jorge -- 1) thanks for the reply; 2) that worked; and, 3) I remember having seen that post re: Stardock but I dismissed it -- recently did a clean install of Win 10 and can't for the life of me understand where Stardock snuck into the computer. (I had used Multiplicity but did not install on this PC using MSFT old Mouse Without Borders instead.) In all events, removing that sub-key did resolve the issue so thank you so much!
::m 8)

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 3 posts ]