Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 28 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Trash reacts after many seconds or never
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:00 pm 

Just installed Winstep Nexus for the first time and encountered a problem. If i delete a file or a folder, the trash on the dock changes from empty Icon to full Icon in about 3 seconds and not immediatly. If i delete much files (about 100 e.g.) the trash stays with empty icon. Whats the Problem?

Windows 10 64bit
8GB Ram
256 GB SSD

NEXUS 17.12

Post subject: Re: Trash reacts after many seconds or never
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:38 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I haven't revisited that code in a long time, but the trash module in Nexus does not limit itself to display a full or empty icon, it also displays, in the tooltip, how many files are in the Recycle Bin and their total size.

It's this last bit that is the problem: some user's recycle bins have THOUSANDS of files. In cases like those, calculating the total number of files and their sizes can take a VERY long time.

This is why this calculation is offloaded to a 3rd party process, which returns the information to the main Winstep application once it has it. Also, to prevent being overwhelmed with constant recycle bin notifications/calculations when deleting multiple files at once, there is an artificial delay introduced, so re-calculating the number of files in the recycle bin and their sizes should only occur once the system has deleted all the files.

The only issue I therefore see in your description is the Recycle Bin not updating when deleting many files. Are you sure it's not just taking some time? How are you deleting those? Does it also happen with 1 file? What about 2? Is there a threshold in which the issue does not happen and then it starts happening?

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:27 pm 

Thx for your quick response.
My trash is empty. To test, i put files on Desktop. If i delete just 1 or 2 files (Highlight the files and press del on keyboard) the trash on dock shows in about 3 seconds, that the trash is full. If i hover the mouse over the trash on dock it says, how much files are in trash. Now i empty the trash by rightclick and now again, it took about 3 seconds to show, that the trash is empty.
Now i delete about 200 files, but the trash in dock shows an empty icon forever. If i hover the mouse Over the trash (after 5 Minutes), the Notification says, no files are in it, but they are.
Rocketdock shows the trash, if empty or full, immediatly after deleting files or empty the trash.

I really like your Software, but this behaviour annoys me and is preventing me from buying a licence for ultimate.
Maybe we could resolve this problem together. :D

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:38 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

bm81 wrote:
Now i delete about 200 files, but the trash in dock shows an empty icon forever.

Exactly how are you deleting those files? Are they in the same hard drive as your Windows system is?

bm81 wrote:
Rocketdock shows the trash, if empty or full, immediatly after deleting files or empty the trash.

Yeah, but it does not show how many files are in there and how much space they're using, does it? :wink:

bm81 wrote:
I really like your Software, but this behaviour annoys me and is preventing me from buying a licence for ultimate.

Well, sorry to hear that. Given how many other great features Nexus has - and also with it being the only dock fully compatible with Windows 10 and still in active development - it's a pity that such a small issue (IMO) annoys you that much. :P

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:07 pm 

winstep wrote:

Exactly how are you deleting those files? Are they in the same hard drive as your Windows system is?

As i said before, i Highlight those files and press delete on keyboard. Same happens, if i rightclick and choose delete.
Files are on the same harddrive as Windows.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:08 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

bm81 wrote:
As i said before, i Highlight those files and press delete on keyboard. Same happens, if i rightclick and choose delete.
Files are on the same harddrive as Windows.

Ok, thanks, I will try to reproduce that here.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:14 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Just had a look at the code. I have a feeling I know what it might be: you're not running an English version of Windows, are you?

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:38 pm 

No, using a German Version. Windows 10 1709.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:49 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Ok, I think that was the problem... the code for the Recycle bin is very old, so I was still checking for shell notifications related to the Recycle Bin by file/pathname instead of ItemID. In German the name of the recycle bin folder is probably localized, which would cause the shell notification method to fail.

This left the other fail-safe recycle bin poll, which indeed happens every 3 seconds, as you mentioned, but is kind of flawed.

I also changed the delay when receiving shell notifications from the previous 1.5 seconds to .5 seconds.

We still have to test if these changes will indeed work on your system, of course.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:07 pm 

winstep wrote:
We still have to test if these changes will indeed work on your system, of course.

Nice to hear that. Tell me, if i can Do something.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:47 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

bm81 wrote:
Nice to hear that. Tell me, if i can Do something.

I should have a beta up soon, there are also other fixes I need others to test.

Just make sure that 'Notify me of beta (test) versions' is enabled in the Advanced tab of Nexus Preferences.

Once you got it and tested the fixes, please let me know ASAP.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:03 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Ok, first make sure that 'Notify me of beta (test) versions' is enabled in the Advanced tab of Nexus Preferences.

Now Check for Updates. A new beta should be picked up. Install it.

VERY IMPORTANT: Once Nexus is running again, wait AT LEAST 30 seconds before performing any tests.

Let me know please.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:07 pm 

Thank you very much for the new beta. Its better now, but not perfect. If i delete 1 or 2 files or folders on my c:drive (where Windows is installed), its perfect now. But if i delete more folders (tested it with 5 and more) the problem still exist.
If i delete files or folders on my d:drive (data partition on the same SSD) the problem is much worse. It doesn't matter, if i delete just 1 file or folder, or more. The trash Icon in dock stays empty.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:12 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Grrr... good thing it's a beta then. Give me some time to think what I can come up with to figure out what might be going on...

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:52 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Ok, fixed it, but it was harder than expected, had to take a completely different path (pardon the pun) and it took me several hours to come up with the 15 lines of code that did the trick.

Profile WWW 

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 28 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next