Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 25 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Can'ad add item to dock by dragging desktop shortcut and
PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:48 am 

Just a thought, does your desktop path/user folder contain chinese characters?
maybe the problem isnt in the shortcuts themselves but in the location where you are dragging them from?
tho your screenshot shows most of the path and it doesnt seem to be the case

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:12 am 

seeker wrote:
Just a thought, does your desktop path/user folder contain chinese characters?
maybe the problem isnt in the shortcuts themselves but in the location where you are dragging them from?
tho your screenshot shows most of the path and it doesnt seem to be the case

Yup it shouldn't be the case. As this only happen to some applications

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:04 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Nah. This is definitely a problem with drag & drop 'dropping' characters, pardon the pun.

Look at the name of the tool: DAEMON. The short-filename 8 character version of that would be DAEMON~1.LNK - but in Winstep the two first letters (DA) are missing.

This, of course, results in a file that does not exist, and therefore the shortcut cannot be resolved.

What is strange is that the actual PATH to the file (to the user's desktop) is (or appears to be) right.

Or maybe it isn't either... can you please confirm this?

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:01 pm 

winstep wrote:

Nah. This is definitely a problem with drag & drop 'dropping' characters, pardon the pun.

Look at the name of the tool: DAEMON. The short-filename 8 character version of that would be DAEMON~1.LNK - but in Winstep the two first letters (DA) are missing.

This, of course, results in a file that does not exist, and therefore the shortcut cannot be resolved.

What is strange is that the actual PATH to the file (to the user's desktop) is (or appears to be) right.

Or maybe it isn't either... can you please confirm this?

Sorry I am afraid I can't get your question. Please feel free to correct me if I am wrong. Are you asking if the shortcut in desktop can open the application? If so, the answer is yes. I can use the shortcut to open the application.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:08 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

kamiru0097 wrote:
Sorry I am afraid I can't get your question. Please feel free to correct me if I am wrong. Are you asking if the shortcut in desktop can open the application? If so, the answer is yes. I can use the shortcut to open the application.

No, no. On the *Winstep* item Properties dialog at the right of the screenshot, the full path to EMON~1.LNK (...ers\Jack Lui.JackLui-Home\Desktop\ ) is partially obscured.

We know EMON~1.LNK should really be DAEMON~1.LNK so it's missing the first two characters of the filename.

What I want to know is if there are also any missing characters in the *pathname* to the file (e.g.; is it C:\Users\Jack Lui.JackLui-Home\Desktop\ ? If so, is that correct?).

In other words, if you change the EMON~1.LNK part of the filename in the Winstep Item Properties dialog to DAEMON~1.LNK, does the shortcut in the dock already work?

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:27 am 

winstep wrote:
kamiru0097 wrote:

No, no. On the *Winstep* item Properties dialog at the right of the screenshot, the full path to EMON~1.LNK (...ers\Jack Lui.JackLui-Home\Desktop\ ) is partially obscured.

We know EMON~1.LNK should really be DAEMON~1.LNK so it's missing the first two characters of the filename.

What I want to know is if there are also any missing characters in the *pathname* to the file (e.g.; is it C:\Users\Jack Lui.JackLui-Home\Desktop\ ? If so, is that correct?).

In other words, if you change the EMON~1.LNK part of the filename in the Winstep Item Properties dialog to DAEMON~1.LNK, does the shortcut in the dock already work?

The shortcut has no missing character.

Also, if I add DA before EMON~1 in dock entry properties, it works. The only thing not resolved is why there is missing character. Thanks.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:39 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

kamiru0097 wrote:
The only thing not resolved is why there is missing character. Thanks.

Exactly. The pathname is ok, it's only the filename that is missing the FIRST two characters. Even the shortcut to the drive on the dock, if you take away the first two characters of C:\, what you have left is \ . And that is exactly what your bad shortcut was showing.

I will try to figure out why this could be happening and will let you know once I have something.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:08 pm 

winstep wrote:
kamiru0097 wrote:
The only thing not resolved is why there is missing character. Thanks.

Exactly. The pathname is ok, it's only the filename that is missing the FIRST two characters. Even the shortcut to the drive on the dock, if you take away the first two characters of C:\, what you have left is \ . And that is exactly what your bad shortcut was showing.

I will try to figure out why this could be happening and will let you know once I have something.

Many thanks!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:20 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

kamiru0097 wrote:
Many thanks!

I looked at the code and, although I'm sure there is a valid reason since you're experiencing it, it makes absolutely no sense to me why that could be happening.

You see, both the Desktop tab in the Shelf and the drag & drop routine use the SAME API call to get a file's complete filename (i.e.; path + filename): SHGetPathFromIDList .

So, why would two letters from the filename (but not the pathname) be missing in one case but not the other?! Doesn't make any sense to me at this point.

The only way to get to the bottom of this would be me sending you a couple of test builds for you to try. Would you be up for it?

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:14 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Not sure if you're still around, but another Chinese user (who also makes the Chinese Traditional translations) confirmed this issue.

Sigh.

As I said, the only way to figure out what is happening is with your help.

Profile WWW 

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 25 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2