Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 3 posts ]
 Post subject: high definition icons - for clock. ?
PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:19 pm 

Hi, first, thanks for winstep extreme. going to buy at end of my trial.

My question is, I'm using the desktop clock with 4k monitor. However at larger scale sizes the clock tends to be a bit blurry, not crisp, hands, numbers, icons. Is there a way to make the clock more clear? Like do I need to buy the Winstep Extreme with the additional icons or will that not help the resolution?

I've yet to find a really simple high def clock for windows 10 and was hoping Winstep would do this.

Thanks

Post subject: Re: high definition icons - for clock. ?
PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:05 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

You're talking about the *desktop* clock module, right?

What theme are you using? Have you tried another theme already? If you want you can change the theme for the clock only, leaving the other objects as they are.

Anyway, desktop modules are based on a module background bitmap, and most themes were made at a time were the norm was screen resolutions of 1080p or even lower. As such the desktop modules/bitmaps could not be too big, as they would otherwise use all the available screen real estate.

Now that 4K monitors are becoming more common, we have the opposite problem: the original module bitmaps are too small for those resolutions. Winstep tries to alleviate this problem by automatically scaling the bitmaps, but you can't add more detail other than what is already there, so at sizes much larger than the original the scaled up bitmaps become fuzzy.

Text, on the other hand, can be scaled up at will without becoming blurry, so text on a desktop module (unless it is actually part of a bitmap, as clock hand numbers might be) will usually remain razor sharp regardless of scaling.

This is just how it is. The only solution, other than making your own themes or changing existing ones, is to try to use themes featuring bigger modules.

Profile WWW 

Post subject: Re: high definition icons - for clock. ?
PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:32 pm 

Thank you for the reply. Yes the desktop module. I've tried all the themes, for clock, that come with the trial version of winstep extreme. I haven't played with themes yet. Guess i'll go have a look.

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 3 posts ]