Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 5 posts ]
 Post subject: Stacks?
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:11 pm 

OK, I know this has been talked about. I have searched the forum. I am new to Nexus. Just downloaded and installed the free version today. I was a very long time Rocket Dock user and switched to ObjectDock (paid) a couple years ago. After the last few Windows updates ObjectDock is not very stable in Windows 10. I have been using stacks forever and it is a feature that I really rely on.

I really like Nexus so far and it seems to make more sense setting it up than ObjectDock did. I have no problem paying for Nexus Ultimate.

I saw in previous posts that Stacks seem to be a very popularly requested item.

So, is there hope that this feature will be coming soon?

Thanks,

Kirk

Post subject: Re: Stacks?
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:46 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

It's one of the highest things in the to-do list, but it's also tied to other features I want to implement first. Needless to say, you won't see native Stacks implemented on the free version of the Nexus dock, only in the paid version(s).

Anyway, in terms of actual *function* (because if you are honest the rest is just eye candy) the Shelf and sub-docks in Nexus Ultimate/Winstep Xtreme already do what Stacks does, and much better.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:15 pm 

> It's one of the highest things in the to-do list, but it's also
> tied to other features I want to implement first. Needless to
> say, you won't see native Stacks implemented on the free version
> of the Nexus dock, only in the paid version(s).

I realize that special features are reserved for paid versions. I usually try a free version to see if it is something I like. I usually purchase programs I user or donate to freeware. I like Nexus from my short testing, just very dependant on stacks.

> Anyway, in terms of actual *function* (because if you are honest the
> rest is just eye candy) the Shelf and sub-docks in Nexus Ultimate/Winstep
> Xtreme already do what Stacks does, and much better.

Are the Shelf and sub-docks in Ultimate "Self Loading". Will I need to add each icon or can I tell it to load a sub-dock from a folder?

I have one Stack loaded with "Utility Programs". That one would be a good candidate for a sub-dock.

Another stack points to a folder that I keep on my server for a collection of documents that are frequently printed. Every computer on my network has RocketDock or ObjectDock with a stack pointed to this folder and I can change every body's Dock by adding to that folder.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:41 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Sub-docks (like the main docks) only hold *shortcuts* to the files themselves. For obvious space reasons, docks and sub-docks are not suitable to display the contents of folders.

So, you can use sub-docks to categorize programs that you would put on a normal dock. Items in docks and sub-docks must be added manually, of course.

Now, placing a shortcut to a folder in a dock allows it to be optionally opened *in a menu*, instead of opening it in an Explorer window. It's not as pretty as Stacks, but it works nicely and you can even drag & drop to/from the menu (which performs the same action in the target folder, of course). The menu will also let you preview thumbnails of video and image files in the folder.

The Shelf, on the other hand, is *perfect* to display the contents of folders - it also has many other tab types, a Regular one which works like a dock (i.e.; shortcuts only), a Control Panel tab (displays the contents of the Windows Control Panel), a Desktop tab (displays the contents of the Windows Desktop), Recent Items tab (displays recently opened documents), UWP Apps tab type, Themes tab, Systray Tab, Tasks tab, My Computer tab, etc... It also has a 'Show Folder' tab type, of course.

The Folder tab type allows you to associate a tab in the Shelf with any folder in your hard drive - the tab becomes like a virtual 'window' into that folder. You can move/copy files via drag & drop to and from the Folder tab almost as if working on the folder itself, delete and rename files, the tab will scroll to show the contents of the whole folder, you can double click the tab header to fully expand that tab, etc...

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:57 pm 

Cool, thanks. :)

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 5 posts ]