Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 12 posts ]
 Post subject: I'm new...loving it! Have feedback...
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:29 pm 

Signed up to Network Version of Nexus Ultimate, loving it especially in comparison to a competitor program which I also bought, but has not been updated for some time. I pay for good things though...and judging by your impressive commitment to keeping the software updated...this is a good thing :) money happily parted with.

Admittedly, I've yet to ascertain whether this can survive and prove to be ergonomic on my daily driver production computers, but so far I'm hooked from the "spending many hours tweaking and perfecting" point of view. :D I guess you have to be 'that type' to get a kick out of tweaking, but hey, self confessed.

At this point I should probably just let you know that my spell checker wants to write "TWERKING" every time I write "Tweaking", so at any point you get something like "I love twerking for hours until I get it right" please don't think I'm stood infront of a mirror wobbling my ass about. Honest, I don't.

Anyway, many moons ago I worked on some GUI front ends for some programs (audio/DJ) and, being in graphic design, have done some icon work, so this might have reignited an old flame...I've already twerked, I mean tweaked a few to suit my needs - I might dish out a few if I develop a decent set's worth.

Just a few thoughts/questions...(I will do a search in the forum, but I'm on a roll)

1. Dividers - can I get rid of them or make them totally transparent? Specifically interested in the div that separates the tray icons.

2. A windows shell integrated option in the right-click menus of windows for "Add to Dock" would be cool, what's the chances?

3. Can we put modules, such as the Battery Module in the Tray area?

4. Is there a Wireless Signal Strength Module?

5. Do I have to wait for Nexus to 'see' various states of a Tray item before I can change each icon 'frame' or can I force it to see all states?

6. Would it be possible to have an option for Maintain Original Tray Icon Size or some way to actually have a live tray in it's original task bar layout, including clock, on the dock?

7. Transparency of the Icon reflections could do with a tweak in my opinion - it's too bright at it's brightest point and changing the percentage of an icon to reflect doesn't change this. Admittedly I have a critical eye, but some way of adjusting the transparency level of the whole reflection would make a difference imho. I could illustrate this quite easily if need be.

That's it, I'm a logic and ergonomics man, so please forgive me if suggestions come bounding out...this only happens if I care, and I think I'm becoming quite the fan.

Thanks for the many hours of twerking.

Chris

Post subject: Re: I'm new...loving it! Have feedback...
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:52 pm 

ChrisW wrote:

1. Dividers - can I get rid of them or make them totally transparent? Specifically interested in the div that separates the tray icons.

1. make a fully transparent png,
2. right clk a separator, set the png as its icon
3. copy the newly made stransparent separator anywhere you want

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:00 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

ChrisW wrote:
Signed up to Network Version of Nexus Ultimate, loving it especially in comparison to a competitor program which I also bought, but has not been updated for some time.

Wait, don't tell me, I can guess! RocketDock!?

Oh, no, that one is free. :wink:

You can freely name things here though. :)

ChrisW wrote:
money happily parted with.

Thank you kind sir. If it makes you feel better, the money was also happily received here. :)

ChrisW wrote:

Just drop a PNG, TIF or ICO image on top of it (e.g.; a blank image, if that is what you want). FYI, that method can also be used with other icons - quickest way to customize dock icons, in fact. Open a folder with all your favorite icons and drag & drop away to your blessed little heart's content!

EDIT: What Seeker said too. :)

ChrisW wrote:
2. A windows shell integrated option in the right-click menus of windows for "Add to Dock" would be cool, what's the chances?

Close to zero at the moment: since you can have multiple docks (and sub-docks) you would have a hard time selecting which dock the item should be added to. Although each dock can already be named individually, there is currently no easy way to do it (you have to have the control icon enabled, and renaming the control icon also renames the dock - simple, eh?).

Besides, drag & drop is probably faster.

ChrisW wrote:
3. Can we put modules, such as the Battery Module in the Tray area?

Nope. Tray and Running Applications dock areas are too posh to mix with the rest of us. ;)

ChrisW wrote:
4. Is there a Wireless Signal Strength Module?

Alas, not yet - but it's on the to-do list.

ChrisW wrote:
5. Do I have to wait for Nexus to 'see' various states of a Tray item before I can change each icon 'frame' or can I force it to see all states?

If you can force the application that owns that particular tray item to show all states.

ChrisW wrote:
6. Would it be possible to have an option for Maintain Original Tray Icon Size or some way to actually have a live tray in it's original task bar layout, including clock, on the dock?

Icons in the dock cannot have independent sizes. This said, have you already tried the 'group tray icons' option?

ChrisW wrote:
7. Transparency of the Icon reflections could do with a tweak in my opinion - it's too bright at it's brightest point and changing the percentage of an icon to reflect doesn't change this. Admittedly I have a critical eye, but some way of adjusting the transparency level of the whole reflection would make a difference imho.

Agreed. I'll look into adding a way of selecting the 'base' transparency of icon reflections.

ChrisW wrote:
Thanks for the many hours of twerking.

Twerk on, brother, twerk on! :)

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:03 am 

Hi Seeker, thanks for that - although I can't seem to change the separator that appears automatically in-between the Tray or Minimized Tasks and the rest of the icons. Like it's hard coded into the theme/skin?

Am I missing something?

Cheers,

Chris

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:11 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

ChrisW wrote:
Hi Seeker, thanks for that - although I can't seem to change the separator that appears automatically in-between the Tray or Minimized Tasks and the rest of the icons. Like it's hard coded into the theme/skin?

Am I missing something?

Apparently. If you right click the little light blue arrow tray area separator, one of the options in the context menu that pops up is 'Dock Entry Properties'. Select that to open the properties dialog for that item, from where you can then click on the 'Change Icon' button. Or just do the drag & drop trick I told you above.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:16 am 

@WinStep Thanks for getting back to me...

I don't get dock entry properties on the automatically introduced seperators between tray and icons for example. I suspect many people don't show the tray maybe? So they don't see it?

winstep wrote:
Wait, don't tell me, I can guess! RocketDock!?

No, it's Stardock's. To be honest I've used lots of their stuff in the past and find it well polished. I use fences religiously and find it a great tool. But like many others, 'docks' I guess have fallen out of fashion for some and so has been left not updated. I'm hoping a dock, your dock, will help me streamline my desktop and ergonomics...I might be wrong yet, but like I said, I'm enjoying finding out!

winstep wrote:
Just drop a PNG, TIF or ICO image on top of it (e.g.; a blank image, if that is what you want). FYI, that method can also be used with other icons - quickest way to customize dock icons, in fact. Open a folder with all your favorite icons and drag & drop away to your blessed little heart's content!

Great for separators I've added, no good for automatically introduced ones which don't appear to be editable?

All the other stuff...info digested, thx. I'll do some frame by frame icon changing over time maybe.

Keep up the good work.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:24 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

ChrisW wrote:
Great for separators I've added, no good for automatically introduced ones which don't appear to be editable?

Ah, *those*. Locate the folder of the dock theme you are using and add a 'nxsep.png' bitmap to it.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:30 am 

Bingo.

Cheers.

How would one get on the beta tester's list? :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:47 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

You enable the 'Notify me of beta (test) versions' setting in the Advanced tab of Preferences.

The Beta section of the forum was too quiet for my taste so I decided to open the betas and bring all discussion to the public part of the forums (see 'What's next after v18.1' thread, for instance).

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:41 am 

Could it be possible to specify where the Start Menu (for example) appears on screen?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:50 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

No. It used to be possible on XP and Vista, but on Windows 7 Microsoft coded the Windows Start Menu in such a way that it would get visually corrupted if it was moved anywhere else on the screen other than where it was supposed to appear.

I never tried relocating the Windows 10 Start Menu though, so I don't even know if that is possible now.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:42 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

ChrisW wrote:
7. Transparency of the Icon reflections could do with a tweak in my opinion - it's too bright at it's brightest point and changing the percentage of an icon to reflect doesn't change this. Admittedly I have a critical eye, but some way of adjusting the transparency level of the whole reflection would make a difference imho.

I think you will like to know I've added a new icon reflection transparency setting, from -50% (50% less) to +50% (50% more), current transparency level being 0%, of course. This range should be enough to allow users to tweak the base transparency of icon reflections to their liking.

My main problem now is finding space in the associated settings panel (Appearance tab, in this case) for new settings. In this case I had to resort to my (now favorite) 'sliding options' trick: an arrow button next to the 'Size of Icon Reflections' setting slides in a new slider for the reflection transparency settings.

Profile WWW 

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 12 posts ]