Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 235 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
 Post subject: Re: So, what's next after v18.3?
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 1:31 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

nexter wrote:
Don't know whether this really had anything to do with WS, or the beta, or whether this might have been a Windows (or Win10) problem. Personally, I think it's a case of IBM - I Blame Microsoft, and Win10! ;)

That's probably Windows 10 crapping up.

nexter wrote:
Oh, and I still have this problem with the battery mod not showing its bar, and also it and the mail mod and the moon mod having their text smaller than normal on first start up but all coming right after changing themes. (This started before the last beta.)

Can you post a screenshot of the text size problem, please (before and after)?

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 2:37 pm 

winstep wrote:

Quote:
Don't you just love issues that you can't reproduce reliably?

Can you please describe in detail the steps you took when creating those buttons?

Ok, let`s see: first I`ve went to NextStart->Preferences->Hotspots->New (having both the checkmarks to the right set to on, those concearning locking of buttons and snaping). Then I`ve followed the steps of hotspot wizard, changing the name of the group and leaving everything else to default. Then I clicked Apply and got the new button on top of the other (the only one that I have, you know the huge one :) ). Then I said: ok... let`s see how it works. So I`ve clicked ok, then right clicked the button to disable locking, moved the button around on my desktop and clicked on it to see if it works.

After seeing that in action, I`ve changed the name of the docks ( in docks preferences), then changed the label of the button. Then I started creating the other buttons, one by one. After every one, when clicking ok I`ve got the problem, so for the next 2 I continued by clicking ok and fixing the position ( having that lock button ceckbox active, I had to do the right click to unlock thing), so after those 2 buttons I did 2 new steps: first I disabled the checkbox next to locking the desktop buttons, then realising that the second button did not update the name ( having the generic dock name showing on the button itself) I`ve tryed to chage it in the hotspot proprieties, this not being posible, I deleted that second button and made another one pointing to the same dock. After finishing with the buttons ( 4 in total + the shutdown button) I decided to post so I opened the browser and started typing, before submiting the post I have tryed to replicate the problem and "failed" :).

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 3:07 pm 

I`ve checked the new lcd layouts and the rain effect. I like it.

3 questions:
- can you give us the users control over the overlay color? I think some interesting effects can be achieved by playing with the frost, ice and dirt overlay for example.
- can you make it more like a desktop module ( having the posibility to change the Z-depth, size and lock position). I don`t really use alarms, but I can totally see this replacing the clock module for me.
- can you give another option for the colors? Meaning the colorize feature from theme color settings. If you use some random desktop changer (I use Deskscapes) it will be nice for the LCD to follow that.

Nice touch on the background of effects preview. I like it. I also like the random LCD overlay option.

Sorry if that subject was touched already, I vaguely remember some ideas being thrown around about something similar?

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 5:45 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Vlad wrote:
3 questions:
- can you give us the users control over the overlay color? I think some interesting effects can be achieved by playing with the frost, ice and dirt overlay for example.
- can you make it more like a desktop module ( having the posibility to change the Z-depth, size and lock position). I don`t really use alarms, but I can totally see this replacing the clock module for me.
- can you give another option for the colors? Meaning the colorize feature from theme color settings. If you use some random desktop changer (I use Deskscapes) it will be nice for the LCD to follow that.

Well, those questions are definitely coming from someone who would like to use the Alarm LCD Reminder as a desktop clock lol. Dully noted, but not for this release. :)

I know the wife of a customer is already doing something similar to this (but with the full screen clock), so you're not alone.

You can configure the clock module to open a full screen Alarm LCD clock when you click on it, and if you then double click the full screen clock, it goes into windowed mode.

Vlad wrote:
Nice touch on the background of effects preview. I like it.

Effects? You mean the blurry wallpaper?

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 6:14 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

winstep wrote:
I think the Alarms Manager needs a Cancel button.

However, what should be cancelled when you press the Cancel button? Only the settings you changed OR ALSO any alarms you might have defined in the mean time?

This is actually important. It really bothers me that you can't undo changes in the Alarms Manager panel.

However, maintaining alarm integrity is critical (for instance, an alarm can fire while you have the Alarm Manager open, and clicking Cancel should NOT change/revert the 'Last Run Time' of that alarm).

So, here is what I think I'll do: I'll keep alarm *settings* separate from the alarms themselves, i.e.; you cannot undo changes made to the actual alarms while in the Alarms Manager (i.e.; alarms you created, deleted, modified, etc...) BUT the settings themselves are undone if you click Cancel.

What do you guys think of this?

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 7:04 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

winstep wrote:
That's probably Windows 10 crapping up.

Got to be, yeah. Often get hickups/probs of all sorts with Win10.
winstep wrote:
Can you post a screenshot of the text size problem, please (before and after)?

Will do in a while when I can start Xtreme over again.

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 7:16 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

winstep wrote:
winstep wrote:
I think the Alarms Manager needs a Cancel button.

However, what should be cancelled when you press the Cancel button? Only the settings you changed OR ALSO any alarms you might have defined in the mean time?

This is actually important. It really bothers me that you can't undo changes in the Alarms Manager panel.

However, maintaining alarm integrity is critical (for instance, an alarm can fire while you have the Alarm Manager open, and clicking Cancel should NOT change/revert the 'Last Run Time' of that alarm).

So, here is what I think I'll do: I'll keep alarm *settings* separate from the alarms themselves, i.e.; you cannot undo changes made to the actual alarms while in the Alarms Manager (i.e.; alarms you created, deleted, modified, etc...) BUT the settings themselves are undone if you click Cancel.

What do you guys think of this?

Do you mean the changed settings? No problem, isn't that the point of the 'Cancel' button? The rest sounds fine.

I had never seen the need for any kind of alarm before, but since having a look into this, and having set up a few, inc. a daily one, I've come to see that it will have its uses here, at least from time to time. So, that's another user of it. :)

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 7:21 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Don't forget you can also use alarms to run programs/internal commands at scheduled intervals.

For instance, schedule the Auto-Backup IC to run periodically and both your NS and WS settings are automatically backed up from time to time.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 7:26 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

winstep wrote:
Vlad wrote:
3 questions:

Well, those questions are definitely coming from someone who would like to use the Alarm LCD Reminder as a desktop clock lol. Dully noted, but not for this release. :)

I know the wife of a customer is already doing something similar to this (but with the full screen clock), so you're not alone.

You can configure the clock module to open a full screen Alarm LCD clock when you click on it, and if you then double click the full screen clock, it goes into windowed mode.

Actually, would be quite handy to have those overlays available for other skinning stuff.... :)

To go back to the new recycler effects - have now set up the perfect sound match to the 'Shattered' effect - coming up in a few themes, I'm sure, and it's also in my new separate sound theme. :)

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 7:34 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

winstep wrote:
Don't forget you can also use alarms to run programs/internal commands at scheduled intervals.

For instance, schedule the Auto-Backup IC to run periodically and both your NS and WS settings are automatically backed up from time to time.

Indeed. Though the Auto-Backup IC won't get any use here as for some themes I keep different configs, i.e., I might have totally different docks, shelf and/or menus, so I keep backups with each affected theme's name plus my 'workaday standard' one, along with backups of the registry for different settings. Makes life easier. :)

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 11:16 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

OK, here we go with the screen grabs of that text and bar problem. The mail mod is basically quite old from an old theme and just visually adapted. The same happens with the original.
Attachment:
TextInModsProb.png
TextInModsProb.png [ 47.07 KiB | Viewed 14228 times ]

The problem remains after installing the new beta.

Hope this helps get to the root of it.

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 5:43 am 

winstep wrote:
Quote:
Effects? You mean the blurry wallpaper?

Yes, those ones:

Attachment:
effects.PNG
effects.PNG [ 98.2 KiB | Viewed 14223 times ]

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 1:08 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Ok, so the Dock Unique IDs used to identify docks by NextSTART were not being unique after all - forgot that I needed to preserve those IDs when opening sub-docks that inherit parent settings, so in this beta sub-docks can end up having the same ID as the parent.

Not a biggie, I already fixed it here and also added validation code to fix the issue in the official release for all those who run this beta.

This only becomes a problem in the beta if you detach a sub-dock and then try to access it from NextSTART - you will get the parent dock instead.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 7:48 am 

winstep wrote:

Quote:
nly one thing: for the time being, when you open a disabled dock via NextSTART, the dock opens close to the mouse pointer but currently it is only closing when you click on the NextSTART dock icon again.

This got me thinking: should I keep this behavior, i.e.; should the dock stay open and never close until you explicitly dismiss it by clicking on the NextSTART QL button again?

The advantage of this behavior is that it would make it a lot easier to populate NextSTART only docks (you open it, then just drag & drop stuff to it at will, as it will remain open until you deliberately close it). The disadvantage, of course, is that it would always require a click on the QL icon to close.

What do you guys think? Need feedback on this ASAP, please.

I saw different opinions on this, I think that both categories are allready satisfied. What I mean: if you need the said dock to stay on screen until next click, you can leave it docked to one side and hidden. If you need to have it close after clicking outside, you can disable the dock. So it is all good Jorge, my opinion at least.

winstep wrote:

Quote:

Thank you Jorge! Hope other users will like that feature.

winstep wrote:

Quote:

Yeap, I know and find that useful. Thumbs up for that!

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 8:51 am 

I kind of like the buttons now that I can use them to open dock. I was wondering Jorge, could you implement that individual theme change (right click menu option with submenu for changing theme and the option of locking theme) that the desktop modules have?

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 235 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next